Well guys, mission fail!
And don't hate me but we didn't take any photos either, sorry
too many phones to water
damage and we removed them while out there underway to test another issue (trying to plane w/a 15hp, but the hull
shape and freeboard just aren't right for that).
Okay, so on a 10' hard dink we took six, three a side, 2' long new fenders, all the same size. Added eye bolts (in the gunwhales where we added wood reinforcement). Tied them up like the few pictures you will find on google
. Looked nice too!
The issue in our case was we were going to need to add more holes to the hull. You need the eye bolts low enough, close to the waterline, to be able to pull the fenders down, so they don't float up and not do the job they were intended to do. Therefore, we would have to add wood pieces for reinforcement and even then it may still tear or crack our hull. It just isn't worth it in case it goes south. A thicker hull could do it, but this one is just too thin (partner is a shipwright by trade
, so he knows!), especially for needing to go fast.
Speaking of fast, as expected once you get going, 10kts, we had a bunch of flooding and spray due to those bad girls - I am sure we were free, funny
entertainment for dockside onlookers!
It looked really nice and for on the hook it makes it a no brain (no worries of scratching your hull or when you raft up to your buddy's boat)
We think it would work if:
You went to the trouble of adding wood reinforcement or had a thicker/stronger hull than ours.
And if you kept it as a sailing/rowing dink and under power to a max of 6kts.