Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2018, 11:26   #1

Dingy fuel storage

Hello.... How do most of you store the gas for the dingy outboard? And how much does most of you cary? We have 9' Highfield with a 9.9 Merc, 3 gal in the dingy locker and a 3 Gal spare stored under one of the pushpits seats. But hinking I need more gas for the Abacos this winter.

TIA
Chris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 11:35   #2

Boat: Colegate 26
Re: Dingy fuel storage

Primary filled in the dinghy. Currently no extra on board. But I'd like to have another 3 gallon same as you. Not sure I have a good place for it on an Orana.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 12:37   #3

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

4 x 20 litre carry on plastic
1x 25 litre and 1 x 15 litre dinghy tank.
To add...1 x 200 litre aluminium fuel tank on top deck to gravity feed down. I have the tank just need to build the locker/seat for it.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 13:52   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Chris-
It really depends on what container is big enough for your needs, but shaped conveniently enough to physically be fit and stowed someplace. Take some time to look at options. The good storage containers are not cheap--but they will last longer. You want something that can be secured. If it is metal, you may want to use a tank sealant on the inside for extra corrosion resistance, and extra paint on the outside, same reason. If it is plastic, you may want a sun cover to prevent UV from damaging it. Fillers, funnels...the little stuff makes a difference as well. If you can find the new style NATO plastic fuel cans (metal jerry cans have been obsoleted, and many are poorly cloned in China) that's one good way to go--if they fit someplace.
Whatever you do, consider adding Stabilant or a similar fuel stabilizer to every can, every time, just in case it sits around for a while. Regular pump gasoline breaks down in 60-90 days, under the best of conditions, so the stabilant is cheap insurance.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:26   #5

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

One 5 gal fuel tank in dingy and three 20lt/5gal along the rail......good for 2-3 months, 3 gal may be a better fit.......I only use very good quality UV stable containers, no need for covers on them......I don't keep gas inside....
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:36   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
One 5 gal fuel tank in dingy and three 20lt/5gal along the rail......good for 2-3 months, 3 gal may be a better fit.......I only use very good quality UV stable containers, no need for covers on them......I don't keep gas inside....
I do the same. No gas indoors, and only use the heavy duty cantainers used by landscaping companies which can be purchased at Walmart in the garden department.

We always try to have enough dinghy fuel onboard to tow the mothership into port should it become necessary.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:01   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris777 View Post
Hello.... How do most of you store the gas for the dingy outboard? And how much does most of you cary? We have 9' Highfield with a 9.9 Merc, 3 gal in the dingy locker and a 3 Gal spare stored under one of the pushpits seats. But hinking I need more gas for the Abacos this winter.

TIA

We had some controversy about this, this past summer. In the event we took 20 liters and it proved to be more than enough for a month at anchor away from civilization, including some significant dinghy exploration trips. That's with a small 3.5hp 4 stroke, however -- YMMV.

I can store dinghy fuel in two places on my boat -- behind the flip up transom platform, and in the anchor locker. I have quite a large anchor locker -- I can almost stand up in it. Despite 330 feet of 1/2" chain in there plus spare anchor with another 330 feet of rode, Scandinavian bow ladder, warps, and fenders in there, I can get a half dozen 20 liter jerry cans in there. So dinghy fuel often lives in there.

As others have said -- don't keep petrol inside the main hull volume, or in any locker or lazarette which communicates with the main hull volume. Petrol fumes are heavier than air and present similar dangers to propane.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, storage