Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2011, 15:09   #1

Boat: 34ft. Catalina 1989
Send a message via Skype™ to pdnervo
Dingy for 361 Beneteau

got a 361 Beneteau and would like to go coastal cruising... what is a practical dingy and where shall i store it... i would prefer a non inflatable cause i suspect it rows easier... don't want an outboard cause its heavy and tends to need work.. and i could use the exercise rowing..
also i was thinking of getting a self steering wind driven so i cant stow it aft..
whats a good dingy either plastic or wood, light weight, possibly with rubber around the top rim so not to bang into things... and where can i put it on board so its not in the way..
thankx your answers...pn
Old 20-04-2011, 15:24   #2

Boat: Beneteau 361
Re: Dingy for 361 Beneteau

Hi. Sail on a B361 as well. If you are talking coastal cruising, an inflatable with outboard is the way to go. I have sailed the US East coast to the Bahamas and other venues this side of the continent and can only say that your diighy is your taxi and has to be up to the task in most weather conditions (getting you to and back from shore safely and reasobnably quickly when anchored-moored out). Yes, rowing is great. But you are looking at two different things. You could keep a rowing hard dinghy at your port of call (marina) and use it when you are there. Otherwise, inflatables are the way to go - safe, stable and able to sustain a payload. We tow it behind, but get the OB on a bracket on the stern rail when sailing for any lenght of time. Hope this sheds some light.
HRDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 16:06   #3

Boat: 34ft. Catalina 1989
Send a message via Skype™ to pdnervo
Re: Dingy for 361 Beneteau

tks ur reply... but i really want the exesise of rowing and i read that inflatables is difficult to row..whereas a hard boat is easy. and i dont want the hassle of an outboard i had a few and they were a pain to start and they are heavy... im 70years and dont need the strain. but i do appreciate the advise...thanx...pn

Tags
beneteau