Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 02:53   #61

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Dinghy Wheels - Do they Really Work ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Wheeled Dingy.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	116419Found a photo, ugly little begger but solid and stable.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:36   #62
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the wheels really do work, and only tow something you want to give away, as that will happen.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:43   #63

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I only read the first and last page so may have missed something.

I had the Danard wheels (see website noted above). They were the absolute best that I have used or seen. They come completely off the dink if you don't need them (except for the mounting fixtures which do not interfere with anything and weigh very little). They were essential (really essential) equipment on the Pacific side beaches Latin America. Also used them in the South Pacific islands a lot. You do not want to try and drag a dink over sand or pebbles very far and it can get old (and dangerous with stingrays around) to anchor your dink off the beach and wade or swim out to it. Especially if you have to carry any groceries or anything out to it.

Anyone who says they can't be a major help, in the right places, just hasn't been there themselves. They would not be useful up here in the PNW as there aren't many sand beaches. It just depends on where you are going. The Danards are worth a look.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:20   #64

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53

We use Beachmaster wheels on our Avon 10Ft center console. Inflatable small lawn tractor sized tires. With its 25hp 4-stroke, gas, battery, console unit and gear - about 500 lbs. Works just fine.

http://www.beachmaster.co.nz/

...and they are removable when you don't want them hanging on the transom.

We have no problems with steerage.

Main reason we use them is to roll the RIB on the foredeck when lifting without damaging the non-skid...and for rolling up to a vehicle in the marina p-lot to briefly tow it to the outboard man for service. Agree with previous posters...not always needed on the beach....but handy. Yes - pulling a 500 pounder is a pita in sand!..but at least she'll move with muscle...better than dragging or waiting for the tide!

Photo mounted on our RIB just after lifting - please ignore the growth on the bottom - this was just before pressure cleaning after a summer in the Potomac!

TMT2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TMT2 RIB Dinghy Wheels.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	116550  
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 17:48   #65

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Another way to deal with the problem is to use one of the cylindrical shaped fenders, amidships. One of you lifts up the bow and the other places the fender under the center of the boat, then you each take a side and run the dinghy up till the fender pops out the stern. Repeat as necessary. It works in soft sand, and over harder pack too.

Lashed down on the foredeck, it will have a lower profile than the one in the pic above. It would depend on one's height of eye if that greater profile would be a problem.

Ann

Ann
Old 12-01-2016, 08:05   #66

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53

Ann,

Great suggestion on using fenders!...our setup with the beachmaster wheels was to permit me to hoist the RIB to the foredeck alone - then roll it back to its tie-down location (a few feet) - then the soft cradles go under it. Its worked out nicely...and yes - I can see over the RIB to navigate from the center cockpit. The jib will brush a bit when coming about but as long as the rain cover is on the RIB - I just watch the lazy sheet when changing direction to ensure it doesn't hang up on the nose.

TMT2
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 17:08   #67

Boat: No boat, looking again.

I do not have an inflatable dinghy but my experience with wheels might be useful.

Wheels: Pneumatic tyres, clamp on frame.
BLA Tinnie Mover - Pneumatic Wheels - Dinghy Wheels - Trailer - Products | BLA Australia

Dinghy: 11 foot aluminium with 9.8 2 stroke

Experience: With wheels positioned forward of the transom to give reasonable balance to the boat, it was easy to move it across hard packed ground and the concrete ramp at my boat club. Puffing to drag it up the ramp at lowish tide as height was about 4 metres or more. Fair bit of weight for an old fellow to haul.

On packed sand with some softer bits, it bogged in the soft. I lowered the tyre pressures slightly and it rolled ok but took lots of effort.

I had the wheels a while but didn't really use them much. Then using it and a tube blew. Hadn't lasted long. I couldn't find the exact same tube locally so had to source one from the Internet. Darn hard things to change. Needed to find a "How to change small tyre" video on U-tube and then I could do it.

Some of the spots I visit, the tide goes out a long way.

Wheels are sitting under my house, I could use them but I am experimenting with filling them with foam to hopefully make them puncture proof and have not finished.

The wheels would be very useful in some of my locations if wheels were a bit wider/taller for the softer stuff and the tubes lasted more than a half dozen months.
Old 13-01-2016, 17:20   #68
Marine Service Provider

Finally got around to finding a pic of mine.

I got them off Ebay in Australia (Queensland)... made in China so surely you can get them cheaper overseas. From memory they are good for over 100 kg's. This particular inflatable is well over 100kg's / 220lb's with fuel on board. You can put them completely upright or angled as per the pic. I've used them on sand and they go ok, but mine is a very heavy inflatable compared to what many of you will be doing with them, so you'll find it way easier than I do. I can "just" pull it up a standard boat ramp without assistance.

Launching Wheels Suits AN Inflatable Boat Tinny Dinghy | eBay

Just realised I've probably already posted this pic in this thread. That's ok though, a good reason was to post a pic of my little man whom really loves the boat.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy