Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 16:42   #16

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Dinghy repair advice needed

Even if by some miracle you get every seam glued with no leaks the boat will still not be reliable. Time to check out Craigslist. You never know what you'll find & this is a good time of year to buy a boat. Maybe think outside the box. How about inflatable kayaks?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 17:37   #17

Boat: 1974 Cal Cruising 35

Yes replace it. Good money after bad trying to repair it. A failed repair just makes the replacement that much more expensive. IMHO

https://www.sailblogs.com/member/eleanormay/
msrcal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:35   #18
elk

I also have a PVC dinghy. I had holes in it, both in a tube and in the floor. I fixed them with PVC shower liner from Home Depot. There is a specific glue to use with this that stays flexible and is strong. Both repairs are under the water line and have never even started to peel off, and I tow my dink. You can get a 5' x 6' sheet of PVC material from HD for ~ $35, and the glue for $9. This is enough for many, many patches. The repairs are 2 years old, the tube, and 1 year old, the floor.

This glue should work well for your dink.

X-15 16 oz. PVC Bonding Adhesive-308122 - The Home Depot

Good Luck,
elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 14:39   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk View Post
I also have a PVC dinghy. I had holes in it, both in a tube and in the floor. I fixed them with PVC shower liner from Home Depot. There is a specific glue to use with this that stays flexible and is strong. Both repairs are under the water line and have never even started to peel off, and I tow my dink. You can get a 5' x 6' sheet of PVC material from HD for ~ $35, and the glue for $9. This is enough for many, many patches. The repairs are 2 years old, the tube, and 1 year old, the floor.

This glue should work well for your dink.

X-15 16 oz. PVC Bonding Adhesive-308122 - The Home Depot

Good Luck,
Elk, the technique that you describe is useful for patching holes, although not the best practice by far.

But the OP's problem is that ALL the seams in his tubes have failed. The stresses on the seams are far greater than those on a patch over a small (or even substantial) hole. Beyond the simple strength of bond issues, the assembly of the tube sections into a usable dinghy shape is difficult... very difficult... for an amateur. Even regluing a portion of one seam is pretty challenging, let alone the whole lot. And I speak from personal experience...

Jim
Old 09-11-2016, 15:43   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Sometimes it's the short sharp post that gets to the core of the problem when everyone is trying to work around the issue with lengthy posts. "Your dinghy has reached the end of its life. Replace it." I like that. It doesn't matter whether you get your glue from NASA at $1,000 per ml, you're still going to be chasing leaks, and feeling frustrated, until the day you throw it away and replace it. Better now than then.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:36   #21
elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Elk, the technique that you describe is useful for patching holes, although not the best practice by far.

But the OP's problem is that ALL the seams in his tubes have failed. The stresses on the seams are far greater than those on a patch over a small (or even substantial) hole. Beyond the simple strength of bond issues, the assembly of the tube sections into a usable dinghy shape is difficult... very difficult... for an amateur. Even regluing a portion of one seam is pretty challenging, let alone the whole lot. And I speak from personal experience...

Jim

My intention was to inform about a strong flexible glue that works on PVC. For $9 the OP can figure out for himself whether the job is worth pursuing. Maybe instead of scaring him , you could give specific guidance and pitfalls, since you claim experience. He could invest a few hours and minimal cost for a possible solution, or spend a thousand, or more, and toss a possibly savable dink.

The stress on the floor repair is considerable, with people's full weight engaging the patch regularly. The repair that works well is, by far, the best.

I have a feeling you are the type that will need to reply, good luck, I'm done.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:37   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Jim won't reply, but I will. Jim and Anne Cate are two of the most experienced people on this forum, and regularly supply very useful posts out of the goodness of their hearts. It's OK to disagree with them or anyone else, given no one is right all the time, and forums are for discussion, but being dismissive is in this case at least misplaced.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:48   #23
elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Jim won't reply, but I will. Jim and Anne Cate are two of the most experienced people on this forum, and regularly supply very useful posts out of the goodness of their hearts. It's OK to disagree with them or anyone else, given no one is right all the time, and forums are for discussion, but being dismissive is in this case at least misplaced.
I was through with this subject, but since you deign to answer for them...

I was not the first to be dismissive, so go back and read it again. And you Sir, have not an inkling as to my experience, since I only answer posts occasionally, and then only on subjects I am experienced with.

I will not start a flame war, I gave only constructive advice, unlike the other "experienced" people you feel the overwhelming need to defend.

Now, I am finished with this thread, so flame away.
Old 10-11-2016, 16:17   #24

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

when I'm down in La Paz, Mx, every morning there is someone looking for inflatable dick repair. I've had my fill with inflatables and now go hard. I buy a Livingston 8ft. which has the interior volume of a 10ft. inflatable. Just sold that one after 10years of reliable service for the same price I bought it for used ($250). I now have a Portabot 10ft'r I bought that had been used once for $500, that rests in kayak racks on the side of my stantions.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 16:57   #25

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
when I'm down in La Paz, Mx, every morning there is someone looking for inflatable dick repair. I've had my fill with inflatables and now go hard.
Not sure how to take this. Heading for Mexico next month, what kind of Dick is recommended? ;^)
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 17:00   #26

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk View Post
My intention was to inform about a strong flexible glue that works on PVC. For $9 the OP can figure out for himself whether the job is worth pursuing. Maybe instead of scaring him , you could give specific guidance and pitfalls, since you claim experience. He could invest a few hours and minimal cost for a possible solution, or spend a thousand, or more, and toss a possibly savable dink.

The stress on the floor repair is considerable, with people's full weight engaging the patch regularly. The repair that works well is, by far, the best.

I have a feeling you are the type that will need to reply, good luck, I'm done.
Not only uncalled for but just plain wrong. If all the seams have let go it's time to move on. An unreliable dinghy is a significant safety hazard. Here are a couple of very cheap replacements. Personally I'd look for a used hypalon dinghy if money is a problem.

Zodiac Slat Wood Floor 7' 7" Lt. Gray / Blue PVC, 2015
Zodiac Wave Slat Rollup Floor 9' 0" Gray / Blue PVC, 2013
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 19:13   #27

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Not sure how to take this. Heading for Mexico next month, what kind of Dick is recommended? ;^)
OOPS!...Maybe I meant a Dick with a dink...never mind!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 19:36   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Goat, you forgot to also mention "and now go hard"! Lol!
Sorry Celestial, it was too easy and funny. Thanks for the laugh - many of us need it after these past couple of days!

I' dual dink [emoji6] [emoji12]! Yep, we cruise with a hard and an inflatable (no davits). Being on a large, beamy, flush deck cutter is useful here. 10' hard dinghy for the little electric trolling motor or as a mediocre sailing dinghy. 10' hypalon (80s model, yes one seams peeling back) with a 15hp 2stroke for long stretches or hauling 650-750lbs around.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 20:11   #29

Boat: Four Winns V435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
OOPS!...Maybe I meant a Dick with a dink...never mind!
I'd get a Hypalon RIB look at AB INFLATABLES a 9.5 foot with a two stroke 15hp Yam
Aquadome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 20:33   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Never trist the spill corrector. Always read it before you host it.

Tags
dinghy