Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-09-2015, 16:05   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Dinghy on the Foredeck - Boarding Seas

Yeah, always a compromise on a small boat. Carried an 8 ft on the foredeck on my 30 footer. Not too bad on a sloop, but I did end up with a cracked RIB trying to work the foredeck in heavy weather... hard chine dingy got me right on the ribs.... when a big sea threw me around...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 23:12   #32

Boat: Cal 39

I carry a Walker Bay 10 inverted on the fore deck of my California 39. No need for a cradle. 2wo9d chocks under stern near Cal mast. Bow chock under bow of WB10.

Old 16-09-2015, 08:47   #33

I agree with paul54. And you will too once you get to the Bahamas. Look around at all the RIBs. Are they all wrong? And why do they have big outboards? Why?
Old 16-09-2015, 18:32   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I should have mentioned in my first post: getting around a big dink on the foredeck can be a serious issue in rough weather, e.g. you need to change the head sail.
Old 16-09-2015, 18:36   #35

Okay, so my entire dink situation changed today. I traded my 1996 zeppelin 300 inflatable for a basically brand new (dirty from sitting in a garage but never used) Walker Bay with both oars and the sailing kit. It just seemed like too good of a deal to turn down. Who wants a 19 year old inflatable, right?

I'm out floating around right now, so the seller brought the Walker Bay right to my boat with his truck and I took it out sailing.

What a fun boat to sail! Small, but reasonably quick and stable and only 78lbs!

Now I can easily transition between foredeck and davits depending on circumstances. I've lost some capability in having a life raft, but gained capability in having a dink I can sail.

One less system to maintain- outboard no longer required. Perfect.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-09-2015, 19:20   #36

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Okay, so my entire dink situation changed today. I traded my 1996 zeppelin 300 inflatable for a basically brand new (dirty from sitting in a garage but never used) Walker Bay with both oars and the sailing kit. It just seemed like too good of a deal to turn down. Who wants a 19 year old inflatable, right?

I'm out floating around right now, so the seller brought the Walker Bay right to my boat with his truck and I took it out sailing.

What a fun boat to sail! Small, but reasonably quick and stable and only 78lbs!

Now I can easily transition between foredeck and davits depending on circumstances. I've lost some capability in having a life raft, but gained capability in having a dink I can sail.

One less system to maintain- outboard no longer required. Perfect.

I think you traded up. Mine resides at enough of an angle on my foredeck to work beside it and is easily handled with the spin halyard.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 16-09-2015, 19:29   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
I think you traded up. Mine resides at enough of an angle on my foredeck to work beside it and is easily handled with the spin halyard.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
I agree. I have an outboard (not included in trade) for the inflatable, but its been sitting in my garage for years because its too heavy for me to put on the dink. The result is- I've always rowed my inflatable- which sucks.

The Walker Bay on my test drive, sailed upwind through a narrow bay about 1/2 mile in about 15 minutes in only about 5-10 knots of wind and flew back downwind too fast for me to really time.

Surprisingly fast boat under sail. Only took me about 10 minutes to rig too.

This is with no instructions and never having even seen one of these boats before.

I'm impressed.

Old 16-09-2015, 19:59   #38
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Cut the dinghy if half and make it nesting???
Then it may fit behind the mast with a smaller profile exposed to wind and waves.
Probably easier said, than done... :-)

Most nesting dinks are DESIGNED to be such from the get-go... Seems pretty unlikely one could simply cut an 11' dinghy in half, and wind up with a package that would fit under the boom of a Pearson 36...

About a decade ago, I gave the rigid/nesting dink a whirl on my 30-footer... Built a beautiful 8' Spindrift from the plans from B&B, and took it south one winter... Before I even made it to the Bahamas, I ordered an Avon Lite folding transom RIB at the Miami Boat Show... Need I say more?

;-)

Rigid dinks, seems you either love them, or hate them... I love them for cruising in protected waters, where they can be towed all the time, but in general on a small cruising boat, dealing with a rigid dink represents too much drama, an inflatable represents the far more logical choice, IMHO...

An 11' rigid dinghy on the foredeck of a Pearson 36? Have you actually mocked it up, and seen what a massive 'box' that is gonna represent? And, the incredible degree to which it will impair your visibility forward?

And for a Bahamian cruise, where one might spend a considerable amount of time in the water, have you figured out how you're going to clamber back aboard your rigid dinghy? The round, soft sided tubes of inflatables are one of the primary reasons why rigid dinghies are so rarely seen among Bahamian cruisers...

Don't get me wrong, I love hard dinks for a particular type of cruising. I love how nicely they can row, and how easily they can be towed, and my Spindrift is often my tender of choice when just heading out in my local waters, and will be towing it, or rowing short distances... However, for a trip to the Bahamas on a 36' boat', I think an 11-foot hard dinghy stowed on the foredeck will represent a very unsatisfactory option...

Here's the bow section of my Spindrift in place on the foredeck of my little tub... I'd even cut out the bulkhead lower than the design called for, to permit the lowest stowed profile possible... Even so, once the stern section was placed on top, is simply became a gigantic box on the foredeck, greatly impeding movement on the foredeck, visibility forward from the cockpit, and just plain making the boat ugly... :-)

Definitely, for me at least, one of those experiments best titled "What the hell was I thinking?"

;-)

There's probably a reason why probably 95% of Bahamian cruisers are using inflatables...

Tags
deck, dinghy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: