Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2007, 18:30   #1
mgg

Boat: Niagara 35 - Grey Haven
Dinghy for Niagara 35

Hi Folks,
I'm sailing a Niagara 35 Mk1 on Lake Ontario and planning to head south next year. I want to get an appropriate dinghy for up to 4 people, usually 2, and the usual provision transfers. I would appreciate any other Niagara owners sharing their dinghy experiences. I am tending toward davits for stowage.
thanks and regards,
mgg
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 20:11   #2

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Dinghys are almost like anchors. What you want the dinghy to do and how much money you have and the weight of motor to move on and off.

What you are talking about would most often be a hard bottom 12' with 15 hp motor to go on plane. If you do not need to go on plane and want a hard dinghy with a 30 pound motor - check out the Portland Pudgy. Does not go flat.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:52   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
If you're heading south get the biggest RIB you can afford, 15 hp 2 stroke and a good set of davits. My choice, AB Lite 10'+, 15hp Yamaha 2 stroke, Ocean Marine Davits. This is from personal experience as I've got all three. This'll all fit nicely on a Niagara 35. Your dink is your lifeline when cruising, don't make the mistake of a small Walker Bay and 2 hp Honda. These two work ok on Lake Ontario where the major use is dinking over to the boat anchored next to you but it's a totally different world once you start south.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:27   #4
mgg

thanks for good advice

Lynx and Vasco,
Many thanks. I've followed up and am narrowed down to and AB Ventus, likely a 9, with a 15HP engine. Now trying to decide about davits. Appreciate your advice.
Old 02-07-2007, 18:14   #5

Boat: Passport 40
Thinking about davits

Hey MGG,

When you get your davits, could you ping back with your experiences. I have a Niagara 35 here in the great Pacific Northwest, and have been thinking adding davits to hoist my dink out of the water. I've looked at the forespar units, but will now expand that search (thanks team).

Out here, it's not unusual to just tow your dingy behind you as you cruise. That's what I've done for years with a 10 foot Hunter Liberty. I just use oars or the sailing rig to get around. But as has been pointed out, you'll want the power and the RIB if you're going offshore. Though I would add that you should pull it off the davits and lash it to the fordeck while you're in transit. You don't want a following sea to rip it off in a storm on your way South.

Anyway, good luck with the project and let me know how well those davits work.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:49   #6
mgg

Davits

Hi Dan,

OK, I'll post something when I get further along with the davits. I'll probably tow the dink this year and do the davit installation in the fall or next spring.

Michael