Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2015, 17:42   #1

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3
Dinghy For An Island Packet 31

We are outfitting our new to us 1984 IP 31 and replacing the 8' Walker Bay that came with it is on our list. We have nice davits rated at about 700 lbs and would prefer a RIB for our trip. We will be cruising the West coast of Florida of a bit of coastal Alabama the first year with the Bahamas in the plan for year two. We tend to anchor out the majority of the time, so the dinghy will get plenty of water time.

What fits well on this boat and would work for an average couple? I'm thinking a fiberglass floor with a 10 hp outboard strapped to a basic 9 to 10 foot RIB.

Mike

Wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 19:28   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Dinghy For An Island Packet 31

That's a pretty small boat for a 15hp rib but that's what you need. You will probably need to stow the boat on the foredeck sometimes so that might also determine the max length and then the of course the max hp. An extra 6"or so would probably fit if you let some air out.. Then what do you do with the engine? You could probably do an 8hp weight wise but there is no rib that will be worth much with only an 8 hp. The only good times in an 8hp rib are when it's just one person at night in light chop, with a 15hp it's anytime.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 05:54   #3

Yup, small budget equals a small boat. We are taking off pre-retirement, so the cruising kitty isn't really very impressive. We'll still have fun, but we won't be on that beautiful 42 footer with the center console mega horsepower cupholder special dinghy. Maybe my wife wants to row for exercise?

Mike

Old 14-05-2015, 06:40   #4

Boat: islandpacket

Have you checked with the other ialand packet owners at the Iphomeport.com

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-05-2015, 06:46   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Our boat is roughly the same size, no davits though. We opted for a folding transom avon rib with a 5hp 2 stroke. With two people on the dinghy it won't plane but is fast enough for most circumstances, although when choppy I wish for an 8hp 2 stroke to keep dryer.
Underway for more than a short hop the dinghy is pulled onto deck, deflated, and folded into its coffin bag. It then sits nicely between the mast and the dodger.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:18   #6

Boat: Gozzard 36

Don't get a RIB--get an 8ft or 10ft inflatable with wood or aluminum slat floor and with a 2 to 5 hp motor--you will be glad it is not a heavy RIB when you try a beach landing or launching through the surf and find that you are wearing the dinghy as a hat (as someone else has mentioned on a different posting)--also a non-rib dinghy is easy to fold up and store on long crossings in rough weather and is not such a tempting target for thieves.
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:24   #7

I have applied for membership at iphomeport.com and I will certainly post there as well.

Our IP 31 is cutter rigged with furlers on both headsails, so length will be an issue for strapping a dinghy down on the foredeck.

Mike

Old 14-05-2015, 08:33   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillsailor View Post
Don't get a RIB--get an 8ft or 10ft inflatable with wood or aluminum slat floor and with a 2 to 5 hp motor--you will be glad it is not a heavy RIB when you try a beach landing or launching through the surf and find that you are wearing the dinghy as a hat (as someone else has mentioned on a different posting)--also a non-rib dinghy is easy to fold up and store on long crossings in rough weather and is not such a tempting target for thieves.
Sorry to disagree - but if you use the dinghy regularly, and intend cruising, then do get a rib. A soft floor is fine for protected waters but anywhere else you'll certainly be glad of the solid floor and the better sea keeping. Just look at what most real cruisers use - not just the boats in protected waters.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:45   #9

Boat: Gozzard 36

" Just look at what most real cruisers use - not just the boats in protected waters""

"What pray tell qualifies as a 'real cruiser' ? ...a little bit of hubris there?

Of course if you are going to cross from one island to another or do open water passages then by all means get the biggest, baddest dinghy you can ...but if your dinghy is going to be used as your 'water taxi' for getting to shore or from your sailboat to a nearby diving location then you won't need a RIB
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:47   #10

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Greene, we use an 8 foot Walker Bay on our IP32. We have the tube WB makes for it and it works great. We carry it on our davits. We do row for exercise whenever we can.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:52   #11

Boat: Hunter 326

Our sailboat is about the same size and I have a 10' RIB with a 9.9 although I would not hang that large an engine on the davits, 110lbs for the engine and 120 for the RIB. We have a engine hoist for the engine. I agree with the others that for ocean sailing you'll want to put the dinghy on the deck as your davits aren't very high up. Outfitting a dinghy for you boat is a personal choice, it's your minivan on the water. RIBs and rollups both work but have different pro's and cons. Ask your friends if you can try their dinghy's both rollup and RIB then make you decision. Congratulations on the new boat and enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Davits and OB engine.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	102093  
Kjretlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:56   #12

I'd probably go with 9 ft RIB on that boat. Single floor to save weight. 10HP is plenty on a 9 ft. For two people you might get by with a lighter engine. Just depends on how much you want to plane fast and how much you intend to carry.
The other option to save weight is go with traditional ply floor inflatable. It's not like you have to disassemble it with davits.
Take the motor off when using the davits. So you might want an engine crane for that. (Garhauer)
Achilles is one of the few brands that have been consistently good for many years.
You don't want a lot of weight slung off the back with a 31 footer.
I had two AB RIB's. One 9 ft and one 10 ft. Both heavy double floor. The 15HP Yamaha was too much HP for the 9 footer. Although I used it.

Re-reading your post I se you have minimal space forward of the mast for ocean crossing.... I lean toward the conventional Ply floor(or similar) inflatable if you are going to put it on deck and cross oceans.
The old Achilles are bullet proof, you might find a good Hypalon used one and save some bucks. Not like you cant get a new one down island in a couple years if you decide to

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 09:17   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillsailor View Post
" Just look at what most real cruisers use - not just the boats in protected waters""

"What pray tell qualifies as a 'real cruiser' ? ...a little bit of hubris there?

Of course if you are going to cross from one island to another or do open water passages then by all means get the biggest, baddest dinghy you can ...but if your dinghy is going to be used as your 'water taxi' for getting to shore or from your sailboat to a nearby diving location then you won't need a RIB
Well, at least I was polite unlike being accused of displaying hubris. It was not I that dictated 'Don't get a RIB' . I guess some folks have different standards of manners.

As for a real sailor - not someone that simply sits and dictates (on what basis?) what others must do e.g. 'Dont get a RIB.....' when the original poster has explained that their future plans include the Bahama's. Soft floored dinghies, I repeat, are fine for protected waters but not so on a cruising boat that is used for its intended function; they are very limited and if space/budget permits, actual experience states go for a RIB.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 09:31   #14

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Don't do anything yet. Walker bays dinghies are great (I lost mine off Cornwall and still miss it). Yes 8ft is small for 2 but light and easy to handle. Learn to slow down, learn to row and live with it for a season you may find it is fine and you just saved a significant wad of cash. Everyone tends to think they need to do 15knots on the plane to get to shore but really why? What you need is a safe reliable work-boat that will wear well. It needs to take 2 people plus shopping and be able to beach. How about a canoe? (two part nesting one stow in 8ft x 3ft & weighs less than 50lbs) Yes it will take the load and do 5kn under paddles (light load!) or same with a trolling motor. Small boats have to be about thinking 'outside the box' otherwise you finish up permanently regretting it's not bigger. Stowing the dingy is a perennial problem on smaller cruiser. Take the stowage seriously a 15hp rib is a big heavy beast to handle. Main thing is to find what works for you not follow the crowd.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 09:36   #15

Boat: Scout 30

I wouldn't apologize about this size of your boat. For us the IP 31, centerboard version, is our dream sailboat if we ever come back from the dark side. We live & cruise the west coast of Florida & I doubt that you'd have to pull your dinghy off the davits very often in this area. There is something to be said for not extending too far past the side of the transom which is pretty big on the IP 31. We have a Bauer 10 sailing dinghy & an 11' Avon with the high pressure floor (works great) & use a Honda 2.5 hp on both of them. Missy prefers the Avon because it's big, safe & easy to pull up on a beach. I prefer the Bauer because it rows & sails great & it just looks right. FYI, with any inflatable watch out for oysters. A RIB is better in that regard but still susceptible. If you go for a RIB try to keep the package as light as possible. I'd look for a late model 2 stroke Yamaha just to keep the weight down plus they're less sensitive to fuel issues.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, island packet