Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-05-2015, 10:50   #16

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Dinghy For An Island Packet 31

If you know Florida you know the sun is a killer here. Any type of inflatable that you get should be hypalon.

Also, if we get an IP 31 the first thing I will do is install a swim platform. They make getting yourself or supplies in and out of a dinghy so much easier. Also a lot safer if someone falls in or just for swimming. Of course it might make using davits more difficult.

Old 14-05-2015, 10:52   #17

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3

Roland - thanks for the input. I built my own Portuguese rowing dinghy a few years back and used it as the tender for our previous sailboats. I enjoy rowing (my wife thinks it is "romantic") and trying the Walker Bay out for a month is probably a wise move. I have looked into the WB side tubes, but they cost as much as a decent used RIB.

I agree that an outboard should be removed and stored elsewhere when traveling. The IP came with davits, but no motor storage bracket. Break out the checkbook honey, I need another toy.

Name:   ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1431622350.893983.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  21.8 KB
Decisions, decisions.

Mike

Wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 12:02   #18

It's been posted on other threads that you can still get new Yamaha 2 strokes in the Bahamas. If you're heading over there eventually you might want to keep what you have till you get over there. I don't know how big or strong you are but you might want to try to pick up whatever motor you are thinking about buying first. Taking a heavy motor on & off of a dinghy can really be a pain.
Old 14-05-2015, 14:21   #19

Boat: islandpacket

I had an 8 foot walker bay. I felt unsteady in it and added the inflatable tubs and still didn't like it. It was fine for one but with two big American butts in it I changed to in inflatable. The guy I got the WB from loved it.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-05-2015, 15:41   #20

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

We have a 9 ft f/glass ("lite" style) hypalon RIB with a choice of 3.3, 5 and 9.8 hp motor (all 2 strokes) to power it. It planes one up fine with the 3.3 if a tiller extension is used (aka piece if PVC pipe) and planes real easy with the 9.8 in all instances except two up and overloaded with cargo (although it get's squirelly one up). On our 33 foot sloop it fits perfectly on the foredeck and other times we tow it (our davit's aren't real flash). When it comes to throwing the outboard on the stern rail, I hate the 9.8. The 3.3. can be done single handed and the 5 is easy enough with assistance from the wife. I actually prefer the 5 hp as an all round compromise.

If I were to buy another dinghy, Id probably buy the same type, but with an aluminium hull instead. Aluminium is a little more rugged and lighter.
Old 14-05-2015, 15:43   #21

How about a Portland Pudgy? Dinghy | Lifeboat | Yacht Tender | Portland Pudgy
Old 14-05-2015, 16:21   #22

Boat: Van de Stadt Pioneer 930-9.3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish2 View Post
Greene, we use an 8 foot Walker Bay on our IP32. We have the tube WB makes for it and it works great. We carry it on our davits. We do row for exercise whenever we can.
Totally agree with Anglefish2. Get the tube and you have an RIB. This is what we have on our boat of a similar size to yours and it works well and you do not need a large outboard motor either.
Old 14-05-2015, 16:40   #23

You can save a couple of hundred bucks with these.

Dinghy too tippy? Add Dinghy Dogs
Old 14-05-2015, 16:44   #24

Here's my favorite: Bauer boats 10 sailing dinghy - BAUTECK MARINE INC.
Old 14-05-2015, 16:56   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Every cruiser has to solve this dilemma for themselves based on their own needs and circumstances. Our solution isn't right for everyone but may give you some ideas.

Our boat is 42 ft but is a double ender so dinghy davits are more difficult and expensive than we wanted. It is also, like yours, a cutter rig with not much room on the foredeck. We chose an air floor inflatable dinghy with a small outboard motor (3.5 Tohatsu).

When costal cruising we choose settled weather and tow the dinghy with the motor on a bracket on the stern rail. For longer passages or in case of rougher weather we deflate the dinghy and stow it below. That is why we chose the air floor type which can be rolled up and stowed in less space than any RIB. It is light enough to easily be dragged up a beach. With the small motor we bought we don't go fast. It may get on a plane with just one person on board but not with groceries or more than one adult. We're usually not in a hurry. We have a Garhauer lift for the motor.

You will make your choices based on your needs, space, and budget. Lots of different ways to get out there cruising. Happy and safe sailing.

S/V B'Shert
Old 14-05-2015, 17:33   #26
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibor View Post
Totally agree with Anglefish2. Get the tube and you have an RIB. This is what we have on our boat of a similar size to yours and it works well and you do not need a large outboard motor either.
Any dinghy is better than no dinghy but a WB with tubes is not a real RIB and it's not a hard dink anymore either. Not sure what it is but it looks like a hard dinghy with some little tubes along the sides. If you want a hard dinghy get a real one, not a heavy plastic WB or if you want a RIB get one of those. A Walker Bay with some expensive tubes on the side is a waste of money unless you have already made the mistake of buying one and have to have some tubes for the sides so you think you have a RIB.
Old 25-08-2015, 15:30   #27

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3

We ended up selling the Walker Bay and purchased a like new 8' AB Inflatable. It came with a brand new set of chaps and we decided to order a new 4 HP Tohatsu for the back. Sweet little set-up.

Mike and Brenda

Wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 21:02   #28

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'

I saw an inflatable with full covers on it to protect the tubes from the sun. I don't remember what they were made of though. Canvas or sunbrella. Is anyone making these commercially or are they a custom made only right now?

Tags
dinghy, island packet

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: