Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2019, 07:20   #1

Boat: Maxum 4100 SCA, 41 feet
Dinghy delimina

I am looking for Dinghy advice!

I have not had any luck with PVC inflatable RIB’s so I want to try a hard sided dinghy. And, not buy anymore dinghies! I have purchased 3 used RIB’s in 3 years. From my research it appears my choices are Whaly (https://www.whalyboatsusa.com/) and Bullfrog (Yacht Tenders, Utility Boats, Dinghies - Rigid Aluminum Hull Boats). The Whaly 310 seems comparable to the Bullfrog Utility Tender. As a side note, the Portland Pudgy (Dinghy | Lifeboat | Yacht Tender | Sailing Dinghy | Portland Pudgy) was looked at but didn’t check off enough boxes.

Correct me if I am wrong in the differences if you could.
1. Bullfrog has an aluminum bottom. Whaly continues with a one shell poly with no seams.
2. Bullfrog has non-skid floor as well as oar locks, cushioned aluminum seats, and bow and stern rails as standard equipment. Whaly 310 has a poly floor and optional purchase of the above items.

The Bullfrog is $4,700 and the Whaly is $4,112 with the above options. This cost is absent of tax and shipping.

Bullfrog has the option to purchase a Sea Wise davit system for $7,120.

I am seriously looking at the Dinghy Caddy system (Dinghy Caddy - The Ideal Alternative To Towing Inflatables). The max weight is 400 lbs and the cost runs around $2,100. Both boats with a 9.9 hp Mercury (at ~85 lbs) comes in under the max weight.

My questions are:
1. What are your opinions on the above information?
2. Looking for opinions on these manufactures.

Thanks in advance!!
Scott
Gregorys6601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 07:36   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Dinghy delimina

What kind of boat do you have, and where will you travel?
I hope / expect to get at least 10 years out of my AB Hypalon with chaps, chaps were put on when it was about 1 month old.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 07:47   #3

Re: Dinghy delimina

I have a 1999 Maxum 4100. It is 41' with a 13'10" beam. I will be doing the Great Loop in a couple of years.
Scott
Old 27-08-2019, 07:55   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Dinghy delimina

OK, so a powerboat, with no open ocean plans?
Then I see nothing wrong with your choices. Many power boats that I see have those systems that rotate the dinghy up on the swim platform, some even put their boat name on the bottom of the dingy.

Only thing I would add is if possible try to get a ride in whatever hard dinghy you will purchase, many are much less stable for boarding, loading and unloading at the dock etc than an inflatable.
Hard dinghies can be light and go faster with smaller motors than inflatables can, I assume of course the hard hull is less drag than inflated tubes.
Only downsides I see if you need to be careful about it bumping against the big boat and many are less stable.
If I were to go to a hard dinghy myself and could carry one, I think I’d take a hard look at a small Boston Whaler myself.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 08:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
OK, so a powerboat, with no open ocean plans?
Then I see nothing wrong with your choices. Many power boats that I see have those systems that rotate the dinghy up on the swim platform, some even put their boat name on the bottom of the dingy.

Only thing I would add is if possible try to get a ride in whatever hard dinghy you will purchase, many are much less stable for boarding, loading and unloading at the dock etc than an inflatable.
Hard dinghies can be light and go faster with smaller motors than inflatables can, I assume of course the hard hull is less drag than inflated tubes.
Only downsides I see if you need to be careful about it bumping against the big boat and many are less stable.
If I were to go to a hard dinghy myself and could carry one, I think I’d take a hard look at a small Boston Whaler myself.
I looked at the Boston Whaler 110 Tender. My biggest concern was weight. The dry boat is over 400 lbs with another 85 lbs for a motor.

Thank you!
Scott
Old 27-08-2019, 09:03   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

Hi Scott

Are you presently on the rivers, the Great Lakes, or somewhere else?

River trips ask little of the dinghy.

You may also want to take a look at:
- Trinka
- Fatty Knees
- 12' aluminum utility hulls, Alumacraft, Starcraft, etc. e.g. https://www.starcraftmarine.com/show...019/utility/sl

Weaver Davits are a cool thing for power boats.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 09:27   #7

I too struggled with the reliability of inflatables. My last rib blew it's seems on a hot day and I manged to get back to my boat 3 miles away on just 1 chamber and the fiberglass bottom.

Now I have a whaly 310.
Rated at 9.9 hp. I have a fuel injected Yamaha 25hp (125lbs)

The boat pushes a lot of water and does not seem like an efficient hull design. 25hp barely planes 2 adults , 2 babies, 40lb dog , and 2 days of groceries. The transom needs bracing for the bigger motor, and there is really not enough flotation for the 25hp.. but I can't imagine only having 10hp.

It weighs 230 lb . On the heavy side, but almost the same as a caribe 12' but far less performance.

Overall I'm happy with the durability and stability. With only me in the boat it's a different game. Easily driven to 24 knots efficiently, I have had It for 6 months and average about a 100+ miles a week .

The storage boxes are neat and make a good fuel tank holder and spot for lifejackets and radio. I have 2 of the boxes and recommend them. No oarlocks but can easily be fabricated.

Not as comfortable as an inflatable but you feel safe inside the whaly with the seat configuration.

When I purchased my whaly I also outfitted a whaly 370 with the same 25hp Yamaha and center console for a client. It was a little disappointing when we couldn't get it to plane with 3 adults. The whaly 370 was rated at 20hp

Whaly needs to reduce weight, improve flotation, and increase hp ratings. (Easy right?)

I looked at several roto molded poly boats and think they are the future, but all the good ones are not available in the USA yet. Lots of good design in NZ and Aussie . I liked the brand new wave but they can't sell to USA
Islander53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 09:42   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

You're buying the wrong inflatables or treating them badly. I've had two Hypalon inflatables, and both lasted >15 years. You should get 8-10 years in the Great Lakes easy. Really easy.
Old 27-08-2019, 11:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
You're buying the wrong inflatables or treating them badly. I've had two Hypalon inflatables, and both lasted >15 years. You should get 8-10 years in the Great Lakes easy. Really easy.
I am probably buying the wrong inflatables. Older, PVC and in expensive. this last one though bought it at a pier that put a hole into it. Not a nail, just a support with a sharp edge I didn't see when launching it. My inexperience in patching was the downfall. No one around here would touch a 10 year old PVC dinghy to repair it.
Old 27-08-2019, 11:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander53 View Post
I too struggled with the reliability of inflatables. My last rib blew it's seems on a hot day and I manged to get back to my boat 3 miles away on just 1 chamber and the fiberglass bottom.

Now I have a whaly 310.
Rated at 9.9 hp. I have a fuel injected Yamaha 25hp (125lbs)

The boat pushes a lot of water and does not seem like an efficient hull design. 25hp barely planes 2 adults , 2 babies, 40lb dog , and 2 days of groceries. The transom needs bracing for the bigger motor, and there is really not enough flotation for the 25hp.. but I can't imagine only having 10hp.

It weighs 230 lb . On the heavy side, but almost the same as a caribe 12' but far less performance.

Overall I'm happy with the durability and stability. With only me in the boat it's a different game. Easily driven to 24 knots efficiently, I have had It for 6 months and average about a 100+ miles a week .

The storage boxes are neat and make a good fuel tank holder and spot for lifejackets and radio. I have 2 of the boxes and recommend them. No oarlocks but can easily be fabricated.

Not as comfortable as an inflatable but you feel safe inside the whaly with the seat configuration.

When I purchased my whaly I also outfitted a whaly 370 with the same 25hp Yamaha and center console for a client. It was a little disappointing when we couldn't get it to plane with 3 adults. The whaly 370 was rated at 20hp

Whaly needs to reduce weight, improve flotation, and increase hp ratings. (Easy right?)

I looked at several roto molded poly boats and think they are the future, but all the good ones are not available in the USA yet. Lots of good design in NZ and Aussie . I liked the brand new wave but they can't sell to USA
This is a great response - thank you! I sent a very similar email to Whaly and Bullfrog looking for their input as well. It will be biased, which is why I am looking for the experience here.

Thank you!
Scott
Old 27-08-2019, 12:08   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Or a Porta-Bote.

There are pros and cons to that also, but thought I’d throw it in the mix. Lighter and cheaper, smaller motor. Nearly indestructible. Has some issues though. They have a following. You might be able to pick up a used one for under a grand and give it a try.

https://www.porta-bote.com/?gclid=Cj...xoCVIIQAvD_BwE

https://m.facebook.com/groups/556827...der&view=group
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 12:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Or a Porta-Bote.

There are pros and cons to that also, but thought I’d throw it in the mix. Lighter and cheaper, smaller motor. Nearly indestructible. Has some issues though. They have a following. You might be able to pick up a used one for under a grand and give it a try.

https://www.porta-bote.com/?gclid=Cj...xoCVIIQAvD_BwE

https://m.facebook.com/groups/556827...der&view=group
Thanks! I only briefly thought about the porta-Boat. Time to do some research on them a well. Probably save me money in the davit costs! But, take longer to deploy.
Old 27-08-2019, 12:48   #13

I really thought about the bullfrog boats but the seating arrangement is what I couldn't live with. The whalys unique seating arrangement is awesome you can sit anywhere. The whaly is a really wide boat . . If they revised their design to basically meet the same flotation, hp rating, weight, as the top of the line ribs they would be the ultimate cruising dinghy. Most people cruising with 11' ribs with 20+ hp never deflate their boats anyways. . Not to sound ignorant or get off topic but what would an inflated plastic boat be like? Would pressurizing the whaly increase it's flotation by a lot ? The whaly is basically hollow with a little foam in it.
Islander53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 12:57   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorys6601 View Post
Thanks! I only briefly thought about the porta-Boat. Time to do some research on them a well. Probably save me money in the davit costs! But, take longer to deploy.
We tow our a lot. But you have to have the painter VERY short, you want the painter pulling the bow up, almost in the transom. Some folks carry them on davits and put in drain plugs, not in the back but near the stern on one side. I’ve heard of folks carrying them stood up on a swim platform, on a power boat. They take the motor off and then stand them up. I’ve not seen it but have seen pictures.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:43   #15

I have a 10ft Bauer fiberglass with complete sail rig, oars and trailer. Sails are in very good condition. Very good little sailer and fast with a torqueto electric motor.
Located in Deltaville, Virginia.
$2,200
954-213-9228
Boogaloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy