Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 08:14   #16

Boat: Passport 40
Re: Dinghy delimina

If you are up for a project, you could try building your own hard dinghy. I've completed a couple kits from Chesapeake Light Craft and they end up looking really cool. Also lighter and cheaper than many of the other hard dinghies out there.

I have no affiliation with CLC, I just like the company. If you don't feel like taking the time to build a new one you might be able to find one used
Mediator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 17:27   #17

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45

Try this: https://octenders.co.nz/
Old 03-09-2019, 18:14   #18

Boat: Island Packet 40

I purchased the of tender this summer. Hope to have it this week.
Ms. Lila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 18:16   #19

Boat: Island Packet 40

Oc tender. Sorry.
Ms. Lila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 19:00   #20

We bought a Whaley 310 and after 6 months sold it. Replaced it with a hypalon 11.5ft RIB and couldn’t be happier.

The Whaley would barely plane with 2 people and a light gear load. This was with a 20hp Suzuki 4 stroke. Average top speed of 13 knots. It’s a heavy boat with a crappy hull shape. We did like the stability it offered.

Our RIB planes easily with the same motor and load. Average top speed of 25 knots. The difference in performance is nothing short of incredible.
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:30   #21
Marine Service Provider

To get the optimum dinghy for your needs I think the only way to go is to build your own. I have a larger dinghy of my own design however I am seriously considering richard woods duo built in pvc foam. Probably the nesting version. The admiral would like her own transport when i go fishing etc. A second lightweight easily stowed dinghy would be a winner. Stability can be an issue in smaller hard dinghys.
sailhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:21   #22

Boat: Maxum 4100 SCA, 41 feet

This was very helpful. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apirate View Post
We bought a Whaley 310 and after 6 months sold it. Replaced it with a hypalon 11.5ft RIB and couldn’t be happier.

The Whaley would barely plane with 2 people and a light gear load. This was with a 20hp Suzuki 4 stroke. Average top speed of 13 knots. It’s a heavy boat with a crappy hull shape. We did like the stability it offered.

Our RIB planes easily with the same motor and load. Average top speed of 25 knots. The difference in performance is nothing short of incredible.
Gregorys6601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:04   #23

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorys6601 View Post
Thanks! I only briefly thought about the porta-Boat. Time to do some research on them a well. Probably save me money in the davit costs! But, take longer to deploy.
If high speed isn't needed, and it doesn't sound like it is, then the PB would likely fill the bill. We're on our third one over a span of 40 years. People who report problems seem to also be ignoring the HP rating. Our current one is a 10', and we use a 2.5 HP Suzuki. As mentioned, the hull is indestructible. We drag it up on barnacle encrusted rocks routinely, and while you can certainly cut grooves in the hull, they don't compromise the integrity of the hull.

We tow ours about 2' behind; put it together at the beginning of a trip, and leave it assembled until we return. The nice thing about it is that it can crash into the big boat and leave no marks, so we ignore it most of the time when towing. Weighs about 125# with the motor, and will go about 5 knots with that power.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:20   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

For the last 37 years aboard Satori our Cal 46, we have used 12' aluminum "Car Toppers" weigh about 120 pounds. I use only Evinrude outboards, 15 HP weighs the same as a 9.9. These are durable, inexpensive and handle well. When new, I always build in a lockable forward compartment for anchor & line, I also add the fire hose looking rub rail glued on w/5200. I bought my last one in 1996 and it is still great. As we cruised and were returning to the USA, I sold them to Brits who wanted a "Tinny" My boat has deck space aft with removable bunks and tie downs. I lift it aboard with a turning block on the main halyard lifted half way and the hoist line led to a turning block by my aft Ideal windlass. I steady the dink as my wife operates the windlass. Works for me, but you need deck space 12' long X 4' wide.
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 13:23   #25

Boat: Freedom Yachts Legacy 28

Has anyone had experience with the polyethylene Portland Pudgy? Does it truly “row beautifully”? The Torquee electric 1103CL outboard motor? Its an expensive setup.
Panama Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 17:57   #26

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Condemning RIBs because you had bad luck with second hand cheapo versions???

FWIW, our 3.5 m aluminium hulled Gemini weighed 47 kg when new. The hull is now 16 years old, on it's third set of tubes... but the first set were burned by thieves so really on it's second set. And we're full time anchor out cruisers, so it has seen a LOT of usage.

RIBs still may not be best for your situation, but your "testing" of the genre is not very rigorous!

Jim

Tags
dinghy