Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2014, 07:19   #1

Boat: sabre 456 and leopard 42
dinghy davit choice

Own a Sabre 456 and interesting in installing dinghy davits prior to cruise to Bahamas from northeast. Preference would be for something removable.
Recommendations?
sowwaninii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 07:37   #2

Boat: Little Harbor 46
Re: dinghy davit choice

On my Sabre38 I used Kato, removable and very effective. Because they are removable there is a bit of extra bracing to fit, but it was better than the big heavy stuff that would otherwise be necessary.
Apart from the advantage of clear decks/towing, in the Caribbean it was essential to lift and lock the dinghy at anchor, not so serious in the Bahamas though!
Tim Godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 19:07   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente
Re: dinghy davit choice

I installed a set of Edson davits with the "shoe's" that make them removable. They are kind of pricey with the stabilizing bar, tackle, and hardware but are the best looking davits I could find. I have a boat with beautiful lines and did not want to destroy the transom by hanging an erector set off the back of the boat. I bought an AB 10 al dingy with an Evinrude 25hp Etec and if I am going any kind of distance I have to remove the engine as the davits only handle 250lb and my boat and motor plus fuel and battery are just over 300lb. I have had the davits for a while and am happy with them, but some of the hardware is prone to rust which is a disappointment given the price.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy