Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2012, 07:36   #1

Boat: Bristol 32 Sloop & Whaler 13
Dinghy

Hello! I am new to the forum and would like a recommendation for the best small, light 2 person dink, that tows easily behind a small sailboat like my Bristol 32. I have had unpleasant experiences with an older wooden slated inflatable, and need to upgrade for a long awaited extended cruise in the Chesapeake Bay and possibly down the ICW. Even a good used dink would be ok.

Thanks.
jla123sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 07:48   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Dinghy

Towing can be a problem when the seas and wind are high, and dinghies can flip or become so full of water that they drag/submerge. Especially if you want small/light. IMHO you need something that can be brought aboard.

You'll get lots of opinions on this. Look for an air-floor or roll-up around 9 feet in Hypalon/CSM. Or a light RIB.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 08:08   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Welcome to the forum!

A light nice cheap dinghy I saw was a stich and glue dighy made from a two sheets of plywood. It was amazingly stable and carried passengers and luggage quite well. You cut the plywood and stich it together then cover with glass and resin. I know of nothing cheaper. Here is one such place to get free plans: Free boat plans from Bateau If you google you can find other desgns.

Some of the cheaper air floor digny's are more you pay for what you get and good inflatables are not cheap and row very poorly. I've seen them with platic or aluminum slats as you have seen the wood slats suck.

Therre are folks that love the Portaboat that folds flat and you store on the lifelines.

High quality comes with cost. The best hard dignhy I ever saw was a Trinka 8 - they row like a dream. Inflateables come in all price ranges with the Hypalon RIB being the fastest and heaviest. While you may tow it most of the time there are times when you want to strap it to the deck so a system to lift it and deploy it is needed.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 08:35   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Porta bote has lots of fans, but I'm not one of them. Consider this post before you buy http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post598383
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy