Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2009, 15:30   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Davits vs Windvane

This is an old issue but difficult to track in the archives so I'll restate it here...

We have a nice set of davits that came with our boat and our dink rides back there really nice...but...we're prepping to go offshore in a month or so and have a Monitor windvane we're going to install. (Everyone can see where this is going I'm sure ).

So, obviously, were going to strap the dink down to the fordeck while offshore and we'll nail the outboard to it's place on the starboard aft rail while underway.

The issue is...not wanting to loose the davits for the sake of the windvane.

The idea of struggling with using a whisker-pole or spinnaker pole arrangement as part of a wench system to raise and lower the dink seems really tiresome and we haven't even had to do it yet! Has anyone tried davit extensions to try and reach out over the windvane? I know we're not the first one's who's had to deal with this issue.

Anyone figure out how to have the best of both worlds or come up with any other solution?

Ray and Sandy
Olympia, WA
Departing o/a 15 Aug '09
ixtlan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 15:59   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
There's another factor involved in the choice. What are the qualities of your steering system. For example, I have hydraulic steering that requires little mechanical advantage to control with a low power auto pilot that can have it's required imput energy supplied by a wind generator; therefore, my davits don't interfere with this steering. Low amp alternatives may be a favored option. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 16:23   #3

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
Hi Ray & Sandy, this is Steve just north in Mount Vernon.

We had our arch/davits built so the dinghy could be lifted with the windvane (aries) still in place, but with the paddle removed. We also store the dinghy on the foredeck when offshore, but when at anchor or daysails, the davits are great.

In our setup, the davits are built so the dinghy sits high, over the windvane, and we have two connecting points on each davit for the lifiting blocks. But, after a bit, we found it to be a hassle in using the davits and lifting the dinghy away from the vane (not a big issue, but I didn't like it when we weren't using the vane); so we removed the vane when we entered the Sea of Cortez, and used the autopilot if needed. For us, to remove the windvane is to pull 4 quick pins, and it's off and in the lazarette. You may want to look at your mounting options.

As far as lifting the dinghy with a spinaker (or other) halyard, it's not that big of a deal. We never used the spinaker pole option. Just got a lifting sling, hooked up the halyard, and cranked away. At night in a secure anchorage (meaning having to get underway at night is unlikely) just hoist the dinghy to the stanchion/lifeline level and chain/lock the dinghy to the stanchion or other secure place. Even bringing it on deck isn't that difficult, even though we would have to remove the outboard then.

When poking around with short daysails, having the davits has been great. We would always hoist the dinghy out every evening.

Steve
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 16:50   #4

Continuing thoughts

CaptForce -

Thanks for the reply...we have a an Autohelm 6000 below-decks autopilot but it would actually not have any effect on the windvane that I can think of.

Steve, (Sailable) -

You gave me some new thoughts about some type of pull-pins for a quick disconnect windvane...you know I'm seeing a bunch of money here for someone with a little engineering background and ambition...this has been an ongoing problem for years without a simple resolution. Aside from that...it is our intention to use some type of wenching system off the foredeck but the idea of then having to go aft and drag the outboard forward or lower it with the main boom into the dink and and then having to assemble everything while wobbling around in the dink in possibly heavy rolling seas, seems problematic at best. I'm laughing at myself and haven't even tried it yet!

In reality...it took both of us a pretty good effort just to get the dink onboard over the lifelines right from the dock...this should be real interesting coming off the water!
Old 18-06-2009, 17:04   #5

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
Ray and Sandy- I'm not sure that I'd really ever want to lug the outboard motor forward...

Before we had davits, we would store the OB on the stern rail. We installed a motor lift (ours is a garhauer) that fit on the wind generator pole.

When putting the dinghy on the foredeck, we first removed the motor and lifted it into it's storage bracket. Pull the dinghy forward and lift with the spinaker halyard. We learned to have the dinghy on the windward side, and once it was over the lifelines, we lowered one tube (ours is a RIB) to the deck between the bulwarks and cabin, then lowered the dinghy onto the cabin top, bottom up. It wasn't really an issue, and we also have a staysail to contend with. Our dinghy is a fairly heavy walker bay 10'.

But the easiest by far is removing the vane and using davits.

So, are you guys headed to the Sea of Cortez when you leave?? If so, we'll probably run into you as we all get ready to head across...

Steve
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 17:34   #6

Steve,

Thanks again for your insight...and yes...headed to the Sea of Cortez sometime after the end of July. It's one of those deals where..."If we get everything done" we'll leave on the 1st of August...if not we've allowed a couple weeks leeway. Both of us are working full time and trying to prep the boat and move to retirement at the same time. We have some people to see going up out of the Sound then it's turn on the left blinker and head South! The truth is we're so busy we haven't even had time to get excited about going yet! To top it off, I blew the head gasket on Perky (my bad a dumb story)...anyway...almost fixed now and onward. Just didn't need something like that just as we're prepping to leave. Actually it turned out to be a blessing but that's another story.

Looking forward to connecting up with you at some point. For us it's, SF, San Diego, and Ensenada (probably in that order)
Old 19-06-2009, 14:18   #7

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtlan22 View Post
Anyone figure out how to have the best of both worlds or come up with any other solution?
Yes. Go with a hydrovane and mount it off center.

From the hydrovane site:

Quote:
KKMI in SF bay area installed my Hydrovane. Way better wind vane - no lines to mess with. Smaller footprint .. Installed "off center" so access gate can still be used and can still hoist dingy on davits. Send me your email address and I'll forward you my installation pictures.
vs. Scanmar's:

Quote:
We strongly believe that an oceangoing sailing boat should not carry a dingy in davits. Eventually it will be lost in rough weather. There is also a conflict between windvanes and the davits. Since you should not sail in the ocean using the davits we encourage you to solve the dingy loading by using existing halyards and booms and placing the dingy on deck. If you insist on using davits, we recommend the removable type.
Since you already have your monitor, I'm not sure that helps. But I hope it does.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 14:50   #8

Hey Steve , Ray and Sandy , this is Craig in Burlington just north of Steve (small world this internet!) I like the removeable vane idea. From my experience from 4 boats setup for blue water: Davit use; every day. Autopilot use; whenever the boat is moving. Vane use; on the rare occasion of steady wind, not too far aft and strong making a longer passage.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davits, windvane