Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2017, 17:07   #1

Boat: Beneteau Sense 43
Send a message via Skype™ to The LowGun
Davits on a Beneteau Sense

Has anyone seen any good Davit systems for a Beneteau Sense?
They have a different transom to the Oceanis - where most of the davit systems are fitted.
The LowGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 17:22   #2

Boat: Sailboat
Re: Davits on a Beneteau Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by The LowGun View Post
...They have a different transom ...
no kidding! An arch with feet mounted to the vertical section of the transom and also to the gunwales could work? High enough so you can crawl underneath with the dinghy up?

Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b-sense-43.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	139730  
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 19:32   #3

Boat: Liberty 458

What does Beneteau say?

I don't know what structure is there. If an engineer ran a load analysis they would have identified attachment points and some max loadings.

Do you have any photos of the structure under the skin?
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 19:37   #4

That is way above my pay grade. I will ask Beneteau now.
Old 17-01-2017, 06:29   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See ➥ Best Boats 2013 Beneteau Sense 55 - Sail Magazine

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 08:51   #6

Boat: Currently in between

Google is your friend! According to the ad this is a Sense 50. Doesn't do much for the lines of the boat but appears it can be done. The pictures of the davits in use are about 8 or 9 into the gallery but shows a fairly substantial dink with console and outboard.

2013 Beneteau Sense 50 | Sell My Boat For Me
Old 17-01-2017, 13:56   #7

Thanks. There is some nice engineering there. Bolted to the stern and still able to lift that enormous dinghy. It isn't too pretty as a design, but it may be less offensive than a whopping stainless structure. Thanks for finding it for me.
Old 17-01-2017, 16:25   #8

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Thanks. There is some nice engineering there. Bolted to the stern and still able to lift that enormous dinghy. It isn't too pretty as a design, but it may be less offensive than a whopping stainless structure. Thanks for finding it for me.
We have an Oceanis 50 - different to the Sense of course, but the common factor apart from the brand, is the targa arch.
I designed our arch to replicate the targa arch (and bimini supports which follow on), in height and curvature. I agree that the typical flat stainless arch leaves a lot to be desired aesthetically, but a properly designed stainless arch that is in sympathy with the lines of the boat can be an enhancement. Ours we feel is, and so it seems do the many who stop by to comment on it. Also, it is not a 'bolt-on'. It is cut into the pushpit (another common point between the Sense and Oceanis). Another factor is that it is easy to climb with the 'steps' either side, and easy to mount communications antennae, solar panels etc.
All wiring is internal, so the end result is very neat.
We have cleats down low either side to be used for crossed lines or towing a dinghy etc, and eyes top-centre for the pasarelle.

As for the davits - they are from the same heavy wall 50mm stainless tube the main tubes of the arch are made from. A couple of guys bouncing on the ends of them has no effect, and they support our 3.4 metre rigid floored Zodiac with 6HP 4-stroke outboard, effortlessly.

Standing back from the boat, the arch blends into the bimini - from the side, it just seems to be an extension (which the bimini is of the original targa arch).

Another point is that those tubes make excellent hand-holds.

Just another option for you, but failing that, I suggest that just davits bolted to the transom, would need to be supported back to your pushpit - there is a lot of leverage there.

I hope that helps.
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arch 1.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	139757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arch 2.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	139758  

David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 17:03   #9

Crikey David,
You have done that very well. It is nicely complimentary. I imagine that would be less expensive than the 'targa' style too.
I hope you don't mind if I use your photos with the engineer.
Mike
Old 17-01-2017, 17:26   #10

Quote:
Crikey David,
You have done that very well. It is nicely complimentary. I imagine that would be less expensive than the 'targa' style too.
I hope you don't mind if I use your photos with the engineer.
Mike
No problem Mike. Would be interesting to hear how much you are quoted over here. Somewhere, I have sketches of the whole thing, but the basics are that the vertical curve ties in with the bimini and targa, and the fore and aft curve ties in with the rear bimini hoop.

As for tying in, the fwd vertical replaces the fwd vertical of the existing pushpit, and the aft vertical sits between the two corner verticals of the pushpit.

So cutting involves removing the fwd pushpit vertical completely, and the base of the arch goes where the pushpit vertical was. Also, save the eyes off the pushpit vertical - they get welded back on to support the lifelines (and the end result is you would never know).

The fwd vertical is a new mount down onto the deck, but a gap is cut where the pushpit curves between the last aft side vertical, and the first aft stern vertical.

The cutting is a bit 'are we doing the right thing here', but a week later when it is all back together, we were very pleased with the end result, and genuinely consider it to be an enhancement.

Probably nothing to worry about, but just ensure the guy welding it into your pushpit applies an acid gel to the welds before the final polish, to remove any free iron that comes out of the SS tube during the welding process, or you will end up with 'tea stains'. Any welder worth his salt will do that, but I always believe in supervising any significant job these days.

If you need any more photos, I will dig some up off a separate hard drive.

Let us all know how you go, and if you need to talk, send me a PM.

Happy designing,
David
PS hope to get to Sydney in March - where is your boat?
Old 18-01-2017, 00:10   #11

We have very good davits on Beneteau 50 that also supports 6 x 150 W solar panels. Self designed, built in Spain
jaramanpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 10:28   #12

Boat: Beneteau 45 OC & Jeaneau 409

These are the best I've seen on the water to date...saw one on a 55 OC in RI, very similar to 48 in the photo...both were very well designed in my mind
KLACKO MARINE Niagara | Excellence in Stainless Fabrication
newburycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 03:22   #13

Boat: Beneteau 45 OC & Jeaneau 409

Sorry meant to attach a photo in that last post. You can see how the canvas is integrated into the arch (was told that it was done out of South Wharf on the East Coast). This style of bimini is the cleanest Ive seen for the new wide transom boats. Imagine the Sense could incorporate the same design easily.

newburycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 04:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
We have an Oceanis 50 - different to the Sense of course, but the common factor apart from the brand, is the targa arch.
I designed our arch to replicate the targa arch (and bimini supports which follow on), in height and curvature. I agree that the typical flat stainless arch leaves a lot to be desired aesthetically, but a properly designed stainless arch that is in sympathy with the lines of the boat can be an enhancement. Ours we feel is, and so it seems do the many who stop by to comment on it. Also, it is not a 'bolt-on'. It is cut into the pushpit (another common point between the Sense and Oceanis). Another factor is that it is easy to climb with the 'steps' either side, and easy to mount communications antennae, solar panels etc.
All wiring is internal, so the end result is very neat.
We have cleats down low either side to be used for crossed lines or towing a dinghy etc, and eyes top-centre for the pasarelle.

As for the davits - they are from the same heavy wall 50mm stainless tube the main tubes of the arch are made from. A couple of guys bouncing on the ends of them has no effect, and they support our 3.4 metre rigid floored Zodiac with 6HP 4-stroke outboard, effortlessly.

Standing back from the boat, the arch blends into the bimini - from the side, it just seems to be an extension (which the bimini is of the original targa arch).

Another point is that those tubes make excellent hand-holds.

Just another option for you, but failing that, I suggest that just davits bolted to the transom, would need to be supported back to your pushpit - there is a lot of leverage there.

I hope that helps.
David
Good day David,

I'm really impressed with your SS davit. I have the same Oceanis (New) 50, built on 2010 (Im pretty sure because of the arch at the entrance down) Sorry my poor english! Do you mind explaining me something else about costs measurements and results of your davit please? Any other pic with the dingy on it?

Thanks a lot in advance!.
JON
Gure Balandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 19:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by newburycruisers View Post
Sorry meant to attach a photo in that last post. You can see how the canvas is integrated into the arch (was told that it was done out of South Wharf on the East Coast). This style of bimini is the cleanest Ive seen for the new wide transom boats. Imagine the Sense could incorporate the same design easily.

Yes, that looks great too. The extending of the bimini would not work for us, because the idea of the arch is to support the solar panels during winter, when everything is stripped off. I like that they have taken such care of the aesthetics.
I am seeing more and more of the fold-down frame idea for the tender - necessary with the latest trend of fold-down transoms, to get the tender out from the stern. Ours just drops straight into the water, as we have a permanent transom step on the Oceanis 50

Tags
beneteau, davits