Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 21:32   #1

davit lift vs steering vane - can you have both?

considering a j/42 and trying to figure out dinghy storage. i'd rather davits for ease of use, but i think it'll conflict directly with the steering vane. am i stuck storing the dingy capsized on the deck?
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 22:23   #2

It's possible to have both, but they can't be used simultaneously. I know of a Peterson 44 that has both a Monitor windvane and davits. Not sure how it works when the dinghy is in the davits, but I'm sure the vane part has to be removed from the Monitor.

I'd say the dinghy has to be stowed on deck for the Monitor to work, but at least the davits can be used when anchored.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 22:57   #3

Boat: Fairweather Mariner/Westsail 39
That's an interesting quandry that I face on my Westsail 39, which does have both. To this point I've not used the (Flemming) vane much, but doing so requires taking the (hard) dingy out of the davits and either towing it or bringing it onto the foredeck. Since I want to have it on the foredeck anyway when going offshore and when use of the vane makes more sense than the autopilot, this doesn't seem to present much of a problem. However, I'm not sure that on my boat an inflatable, given its greater beam, could even be hoisted in davits without fouling the vane.
squarerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 10:07   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
cake and eat it too

A boat just down the dock from me has both davits and self steering vane (along with a wind generator, grill, pulpit etc) it is quite cluttered, but function is more important cosmetics. I have talked to the owner and he is quite happy with the wind vane. As long as the vane is high enough to clear the dinghy and air flow from the sail doesn't interfere with the vane it will work.
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 10:09   #5
Eternal Member

oops forgot photo

Old 20-08-2008, 10:10   #6
Eternal Member

can't figure out how to get photo included, link to boat with davits and vane is http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfenz...11112/sizes/l/
Old 02-09-2008, 12:01   #7

From what I understand the Cape Horn wind vane does not have to be installed center on the boat, it can be installed off to one side. Wonder how this works in the real world, and this might leave room for davits.
bruadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:11   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I wouldn't want the dink on davits while making any bluewater passage. Even a short one. SHEET HAPPENS, so put it on the deck. Use the windvane as it should be. Use the davits for picking up the dink at night, and getting around the corner of an island.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:13   #9

Boat: Beneteau 473
If you have room why not put the dinghy on deck for the passage when you would be using the windvane then hang it back in the davits when you are not travelling.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 14:46   #10

Boat: Trismus 37
I plan to put the wind vane (based on the autohelm trim tab rudder) on top of the radar arch, it only needs longer cables to connect to the trim tab.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 16:17   #11

Davits would probably be in the top 5 of my most useful items for cruising. Windvane would probably be down in the teens. If you are crossing oceans without stops then I suppose the vane is good though. I like the suggestion of putting the dink on deck for major crossings and use it on the davits for the other 95% of the time.... as long as you can keep the vane from puncturing holes in it...
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
davits