Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2013, 08:51   #16

Re: Davit and dinghy selection

Everything is a compromise. Many variables;
how high are the davits?
how bouyant is your stern design?
How conservative are you about weather planning?
Are you sailing around the Capes? etc.
If I was sailing the roaring 40's or around the capes etc, then no, I wouldnt have the dink on the davits. Otherwise I likely would.

You dont have to have a RIB if that's the compromise you like. They are the workhorse of most cruisers though.
Here's a question: Are you more likely to have to cut away and abandon a RIB on the davits due to weather? or more likely to not have a dingy from a defective air floor in Timbuktu ? My guess is the latter!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 16:09   #17

Boat: H36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toubab View Post

Most things I've read on the subject say I shouldn't leave the dinghy hanging off the back in rough weather/following seas. If I get one with a completely rigid bottom I won't be able to do anything else with it. Are you saying it's safe to leave it hanging off the back at all times?
I talked to a large inflatable supplier. I was replacing a rib that I could only put on davits or tow. He told me to avoid inflatable floors or slate floors as they will fold on davits if you lose air. Imagine this happening in heavy rain if you are away from the boat for a week. On this recommendation I bought a solid aluminum sectional floor inflatable. hangs on the davits great, I can take it apart and put the whole thing (two bags) in my locker on the deck or the trunk of my car. It is a hours work to take apart or assemble but I can do it when I need to. After a season I am very happy it worked well for me.
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 16:11   #18

Boat: None at the moment
I see your point. I'm still relatively inexperienced, as you can probably tell, so I won't be intentionally doing any real crazy weather sailing. The biggest trip I'm likely to do anytime soon is crossing the Gulf of Mexico.

Can you give me some guidance on how to weigh the other variables? How high should the davits be to be safe? How high is too high? Etc...

Thanks so much!
Toubab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 16:13   #19

Boat: None at the moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Doug View Post

I talked to a large inflatable supplier. I was replacing a rib that I could only put on davits or tow. He told me to avoid inflatable floors or slate floors as they will fold on davits if you lose air. Imagine this happening in heavy rain if you are away from the boat for a week. On this recommendation I bought a solid aluminum sectional floor inflatable. hangs on the davits great, I can take it apart and put the whole thing (two bags) in my locker on the deck or the trunk of my car. It is a hours work to take apart or assemble but I can do it when I need to. After a season I am very happy it worked well for me.
That sounds like just the thing I'm looking for! Can you point me towards where I can find some boats like that?
Toubab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 16:25   #20

Boat: H36
I bought a Sea Bright 10'6 Hypalon in Canada. Other companies make them with wood, composite and aluminum sectional floors. The aluminum is heavier but will outlast the Hypalon. I am not keen on plywood if it is always outside.
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy