Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2015, 20:38   #1

Boat: Newport 30
Creative solutions for packing a dinghy

So I have a 30' sloop that I'm gearing up for coastal cruising on the U.S. west coast. I'm wondering if anyone has any creative ideas on where to keep a 10' rigid dinghy. I tried an inflatable but that was nothing but a pain. Obviously I can keep it on the forepeak but that would be unpleasant if I have to go forward. I can tow it, but I'd be nervous doing that in my native Oregon waters. Could try davits but I'm wanting to get a wind vane. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
BigBonesBotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 20:47   #2

Re: Creative solutions for packing a dinghy

You've described all the alternatives I can possibly think of for a hard dinghy.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 20:58   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Have you considered a Porta-Bote?

They can be folded up, and then stowed along the lifelines, like a kayak.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 21:10   #4

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Idea #1 is to have a catamaran as a dinghy that you can tow, and it has solar panels roof on it, so you have solar panels that don't get shaded. As a cat it won't swamp and sink.

Idea #2 is build a dinghy garage extension to the stern of your boat.

You did ask for creative ideas. The well-known common-wisdom ones you already spelled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBonesBotta View Post
So I have a 30' sloop that I'm gearing up for coastal cruising on the U.S. west coast. I'm wondering if anyone has any creative ideas on where to keep a 10' rigid dinghy. I tried an inflatable but that was nothing but a pain. Obviously I can keep it on the forepeak but that would be unpleasant if I have to go forward. I can tow it, but I'd be nervous doing that in my native Oregon waters. Could try davits but I'm wanting to get a wind vane. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 27-03-2015, 21:21   #5

Boat: Newport 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Idea #1 is to have a catamaran as a dinghy that you can tow, and it has solar panels roof on it, so you have solar panels that don't get shaded. As a cat it won't swamp and sink.

Idea #2 is build a dinghy garage extension to the stern of your boat.

You did ask for creative ideas. The well-known common-wisdom ones you already spelled out.
I did indeed say creative. I quite like your first idea though. As far as a portabote is concerned, I've heard that the rubber on them doesn't agree with prolonged exposure to salt water.
BigBonesBotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 23:17   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBonesBotta View Post
I did indeed say creative. I quite like your first idea though. As far as a portabote is concerned, I've heard that the rubber on them doesn't agree with prolonged exposure to salt water.
I suggest you read any of the various threads on this forum related to Porta-Botes and read the comments from the happy Porta-Bote owners in the many "dinghy" threads too.

Start HERE:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ity-76059.html

IF that does not convince you, then proceed to even more:

Porta - Google Search
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 00:17   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

What was the problem with the inflatable? For the size I think ours is brilliant. We have a similar sized pram dinghy to get out to the yacht, but it isn't anything like as seaworthy. We carry our inflatable vertically on the stern, so its easy to launch and recover.

Pete

http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...6667&catid=516
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 02:36   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
What was the problem with the inflatable? For the size I think ours is brilliant. We have a similar sized pram dinghy to get out to the yacht, but it isn't anything like as seaworthy. We carry our inflatable vertically on the stern, so its easy to launch and recover.

Pete

Moody 31 - April Lass under sail in the Solent Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
Vertical stowing of dinghies was a surprise to me, first seen in NZ, for me. But for some vessels, it seems to work OK. Otherwise, if PortaBote's are not compatible for you, look for an old Avon Redcrest on ebay. If you find a good one, it will still be okay, and roll up able, and you can stow it just forward or just aft of your mast.

We had an 8 ft. Achilles, that we rolled up and took to HI on our 30 footer, and it served us well, but don't really expect good rowing capability or much over getting you ashore and bringing you back. This is NOT a dinghy for exploring long distances from the mother boat.

They can be stowed below, but man, are they a nuisance!

Ann
Old 28-03-2015, 04:33   #9

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Davron Marine Products (Dinghy-Tow)
Old 28-03-2015, 04:56   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

Another portabote suggestion here. We started carrying one on our 34-foot ketch, and still have it on our 37-foot cutter. Most 30-foot boats could carry a portabote on the side deck, with the seats below or in a sail locker.

If that doesn't work for you, and you don't like the inflatable dingy idea, how about an inflatable kayak? I have an Advanced Elements Convertible. There's a fair bit of cargo space when this boat is paddled by a single person (it can be paddled by 2, hence the "convertible" name).

A nesting hard dingy? Never used one, but many do and they nest in 1/2 their size.
Old 28-03-2015, 05:00   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

in the past I have stowed a hard dinghy on it's side on the side deck leaning against the coach roof and dodger/rigging.

crossed a few oceans like this generally will try to stow on the weather side if a trade winds passage.

photo is Hawaii to Australia in the NE trades,dinghy a walker bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1922.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	440.8 KB
ID:	99582  
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 05:07   #12

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

This problem vexes me as well. Inflatables are fragile on rocky beaches. They also create a lot of drag when towed. Basically I have no room for a dingy but can't do without one. I don't want gasoline on board either. Solution? Dockhead has it sussed...the boat must be 60 ft. Only then does the geometry work. Arrrrgh!
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 05:09   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Creative solutions for packing a dinghy

I like the slat floored inflatables.. 1/4 inflated it'll fold easily to fit on a foredeck or coach roof ahead of the mast nicely.. and still have enough air to support you if a fast abandonments needed.. pump up at leisure... Grab bag stowed and lashed in the fold.
But.. that was not the question.. look at a solar frame on the stern with a slant overhang aft.. I had one made for my Bene 331 a few years back.. hung blocks on lugs and it worked a treat.. fitted solar panels and a wind gen on top.. with facility to switch sides for the wind gen.. or add another.
Would post a pic but everythings packed for my flight to London and on to Malta this afternoon.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 05:30   #14

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I had an Avon Redcrest on the Vega. By just deflating the rear section it stored out of the way on the foredeck immediately in front of the mast quite nicely. They don't row very well, but the smallest of outboard motors will power one quite nicely and fuel isn't that hard to store. The only other options I think are to go portabote style, nesting dinghy or forgo the windvane for rear davits loaded with enough solar panels to keep up supply to an autopilot. Of course the problem with the last suggestion is that a dinghy really shouldn't be carried on davits out in open water.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 05:45   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
This problem vexes me as well. Inflatables are fragile on rocky beaches. They also create a lot of drag when towed. Basically I have no room for a dingy but can't do without one. I don't want gasoline on board either. Solution? Dockhead has it sussed...the boat must be 60 ft. Only then does the geometry work. Arrrrgh!
Once again, I say portabote is your friend. Seriously, our two boats are very similar. The portabote will easily sit on your side deck. I store the seats on the foredeck in a special bag. The bote rows well (so no gas), is not bothered by rocky beaches, takes a good load, can be motored, and even has a sail rig. There is no perfect dingy, but for my boat it's worked very well.

Tags
dinghy