Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2016, 15:29   #16

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: Compass Binocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
We're happy enough with our Steiner navigator compass binoc's. A bit disappointed initially that the compass didn't work so well in the northern hemisphere, but it's ok now we are around 14 degrees Lat. I haven't tried many other brands so can't compare. The cap on top of the compass broke so I glued it back. Steiner offered to repair it but It I would have needed to post it to. A bit difficult when we are cruising. I prefer companies that allow you to exchange at a local supplier if the products aren't up to par.
Exactly my experience (except mine seem fine from 35N to 21N). I had mine "repaired" by mail in Colorado after I dropped them, broke the threaded ring atop the compass, and superglued the ring back together for a year or two. Steiner actually replaced them with new. The battery that illuminates the compass is a rather rare beast.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 16:15   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Really good optics light gathering ability,I'm a long range sport shooter myself, really becomes apparent in near dark.
You can see through good optics at a light level that you can't naked eye.
It's not just objective lens size, long ago that was seized on as a marketing thing, many inexpensive optics have big objective lenses, but only a portion of the center is actually used.
But as Jim pointed out, if it's really the compass your after, you don't need fine optics for that.
Myself flying in a scout helicopter years ago and now on the boat, it's image stabilization that really is useful, especially at higher magnification.
For shooting an azimuth, I could get by with a lenzatic compass

Steiners are in my opinion not worth the cost, the Japanese have some really good optics for the money, look at how they took over the camera world 30 or more years ago.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 16:42   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you are really looking for a navigation device (bearing compass) . . . personally I prefer a digital readout and a device which can store several bearings. I would think about something like the 3600 series and consider it the go-to navigation device. I personally found range finding to be useful in addition to bearings - say in anchoring situations.

And have a good pair of optical binoc's when what you are looking for is visual amplification - a different tool for a different purpose.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 19:18   #19

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Interesting to read about cheap Fujinons. I bought a set of Fujis with compass about 20 years ago. They were priced about the same as the Steiners of that era, I don't think either brand had a discount model.
I prefer the ergonomics of the Fujinons to the Steiners, and the specs were about equal.

I'm still using those Fujis, and I have given them a rough life. They appear beat up, but they still deliver top grade performance.
I am thinking about sending them off to be refurbished, but if I were to buy new binocs it would be top grade Fujinons.

No connection with Fujinon other than that of satisfied customer.
Old 17-02-2016, 19:55   #20

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

Steiners are nice, but a bit overrated. I settled on a Fujinon Polaris several years ago on the recommendation of several people that I work with. The optics are first class and the compass is easy enough to read, though it is not lit for night use. The compass seems accurate enough, it compares favorably with the boats compass and I am on a steel boat. IMHO, they are the best.

Sent from my K013 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 20:40   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

dockhead-
I wouldn't be surprised if that was tariff rates. Imported "optics" could be a very high target for tariff protections, the same way that electronics and automotive parts are subject to a 100% tariff in many countries.

Fujinons /vs/ Steiner: When I looked at then, over 25 year ago, the Fujis were a traditional design that weighed twice as twice and were far larger. So even if the optics were better, you had to ask, do I want to hold something twice as heavy up to my eyes for long periods of time. Make sure you are looking at "apples to apples".

And actually if all you need is the bearing compass, consider an orienteering compass now and saving for the better glasses later. Suunto even makes a $100 (street price) compass that is designed to function in BOTH the northern and southern hemispheres, something generally considered impossible.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 01:34   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
If you are really looking for a navigation device (bearing compass) . . . personally I prefer a digital readout and a device which can store several bearings. I would think about something like the 3600 series and consider it the go-to navigation device. I personally found range finding to be useful in addition to bearings - say in anchoring situations.

And have a good pair of optical binoc's when what you are looking for is visual amplification - a different tool for a different purpose.
An interesting device -- I know someone who uses these in anchorages for range (I use radar for that).

Do you use this as a HBC?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 02:46   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

Maximum range to reflective targets 2000M
Maximum range to non-reflective targets 1000M

I'd prefer to get closing bearings on the lights of an approaching tanker at night a bit further out than that
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 02:50   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

I'd prefer to get closing bearings on the lights of an approaching tanker at night a bit further out than that
Exactly. I have a couple of hand bearing compasses on board, and I use them, but for greater distances and when more precision is required, you need compass binocs.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 18-02-2016, 04:17   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
An interesting device -- I know someone who uses these in anchorages for range (I use radar for that).

Do you use this as a HBC?

I have my laser rangefinder that I used for hunting on board, when this FL anchoring stuff started, I assumed there would be restrictions on how close I could anchor from a residence, I can't honestly tell 100 from 150 ft, but a Laser rangefinder would be hard for the local Cop to argue against, it would at least show that you are attempting to comply.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 05:25   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

The compass in binocs is vital.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 05:26   #27
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have my laser rangefinder that I used for hunting on board, when this FL anchoring stuff started, I assumed there would be restrictions on how close I could anchor from a residence, I can't honestly tell 100 from 150 ft, but a Laser rangefinder would be hard for the local Cop to argue against, it would at least show that you are attempting to comply.
Time to get out of Florida and sail down here
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 05:30   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

That's only the range of the laser range finder. The bearing range is 'unlimited' (just like with binocs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Exactly. I have a couple of hand bearing compasses on board, and I use them, but for greater distances and when more precision is required, you need compass binocs.
These have 7x optical magnification (unlike typical hand bearing compasses). I personally find them more accurate and repeatable than analog binoc compasses.

Regarding the range finding . . . when you want to know the distance to one particular tree (in Chile for shore ties), laser is rather more useful than radar I suppose there are other applications where that very fine target discrimination would be useful, but that's what got my attention. For ranging, Radar is a bit of a blunt instrument and this is a scalpel.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 05:33   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
These have 7x optical magnification (unlike typical hand bearing compasses). I personally find them more accurate and repeatable than analog binoc compasses.
Do you use them for bearings at sea? Much experience with them?

Cost, by the way, is $1800 (ouch!).
Walt Whitman
Old 18-02-2016, 05:41   #30

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I have had Fujinon 7x50 with a compass for years and have liked them. Excellent optics and a good compass. Last year a buddy brought his Steiners on board (His wife asked me what to get him for Christmas so I told her to get the expensive binocs) and we tested them side by side. The verdict was that they were both excellent and both did a great job of taking bearings but that the Fujinons were much heavier. We could hold the Steiners up comfortably for far longer. Their only downside was that they didnt fit in the teak drink/binoc rack on the pedestal. Where I came out was that I would buy Fujinons again but would rather have Steiners if someone else is paying.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass