Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2012, 19:52   #1

Collapsible inflatable recommendation

We've got a Walker Bay 8 that works really well, and I was eyeballing the tube kit for just about a grand. Seems to be the case that I could get a collapsible inflatable for the same (or roughly the same) price. Drop an outboard of the same model of our current, and now we're sitting pretty with two dinghies.

Need it to be *compact* when not inflated. Can't stress that enough. Zero deck space, no davits. I'll probably inflate it on the foredeck, store under the hard dinghy (which sits inverted between the mast and dodger), and drop it in via a halyard lift and a boat pole.

Any recommendations?
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 19:59   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
No mercury dinks and no air floors.

Check out the small roll up hypalon (csm) dinks on defender.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 20:24   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: collapsible inflatable recommendation

Rebel, Bombard makes the smallest inflatable dinghy I know of. It might even fit under your Walker Bay still inflated. I would imagine that most 8 or 9 foot inflatables would hide under the Walker when deflated.

Bombard Typhoon 200 Roll UpDOWNLOAD PDF

Dimensions
Overall Length:6’7’’/2m
Inside Length:3’10’’/1.16m
Overall Width:4’1’’/1.24m
Inside Width:1’12’’/0.60m
Buoyancy Tube Diameter:1’1’’/0,32m
Passengers:2
Maximum Payload:363 lbs/165 kg
Total Weight:46 lbs/21 kg
Air Tight Compartments:2
European Directive:-
Shaft:Short
Minimum Recommended Power (hp):2
Minimum Recommended Power (kW):1.5
Maximum Recommended Power (hp):2
Maximum Recommended Power (kW):1.5
Maximum Power Allowed (hp):3
Maximum Power Allowed (kW):2.3
Maximum Speed (km):8
Maximum Speed (mph):Hull Length:Hull Width:Hull Height:Hull Angle:
Old 18-09-2012, 03:07   #4

Boat: TBA

hi Rebel, this is a great little tender Taka send them anywhere and they use small motors to plane have a look at the sitewww.takacat.com
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 03:09   #5

Aquadutch might also fit your reqs. Our first dinghy, was very sturdy (even handled a cut with strong current, opposing wind, and 4 not small adults... though don't care to repeat that experience), collapsed nicely when not needed. Can't find their website though.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 05:00   #6

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
We've got a Walker Bay 8 that works really well, and I was eyeballing the tube kit for just about a grand. Seems to be the case that I could get a collapsible inflatable for the same (or roughly the same) price. Drop an outboard of the same model of our current, and now we're sitting pretty with two dinghies.

Need it to be *compact* when not inflated. Can't stress that enough. Zero deck space, no davits. I'll probably inflate it on the foredeck, store under the hard dinghy (which sits inverted between the mast and dodger), and drop it in via a halyard lift and a boat pole.

Any recommendations?

Think I'd just prefer the tube kit on the WB8. Given we'd have to move that dink no matter what (in that kind of setup), a second -- with work to inflate involved -- probably wouldn't get much use.

FWIW, we actually tried to see if the WB10 with tube kit would work for us, but the resulting beam was just about 1' too wide for our mounting situation... so we ended up with a WB Genesis 310 instead (very happy with that).

-Chris
Old 18-09-2012, 06:18   #7

Boat: Pearson Freedom 44

From what I read the inflatable boats are the first to be targeted for theft since they all look alike and are easily sold. I am thinking that a nesting pram would be an ideal tender for even the 30' range. I will not have first hand knowledge of this for some time now so please don't take my thoughts as the gospel, I just thought I would add the comment and see if I might be some what right in my thoughts.
sarkastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 08:35   #8

I hear you on the theft, but I'm pretty good about keeping the dinghy locked to the boat with a chain or cable.

I like the hard dinghy for all it's obvious reasons. You can take it up on a beach easy, meat hooks, and other chunks of metal from jacked up docks aren't even noticed, and they track a lot better.

But they also suck for a pregnant woman (or a guy with two kids) to step into from a rolling boat, and it's impossible to pull yourself up and out of the water onto one. Hence the tube kit.

But with two kids, I can see it being really important to have a second dinghy. Sometimes I'll split to shore for a bit and I want my wife to have the ability to do the same. Sort of like a two car family. She thought about an inflatable kayak, but even those are around a grand. So I'm thinking another dinghy.
Old 18-09-2012, 08:41   #9

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

we used an achilles rollup we got from defender for a year in the caribbean. it was our main and only dink and it worked fine. And my boat is smaller than yours. We put it in the v berth for ocean passages and tied it down on the foredeck for shorter ones.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 08:45   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
we used an achilles rollup we got from defender for a year in the caribbean. it was our main and only dink and it worked fine. And my boat is smaller than yours. We put it in the v berth for ocean passages and tied it down on the foredeck for shorter ones.
Our v is pretty packed already with gear during passages, but I appreciate the recommendation regardless.

Curiously, how did you manage the clean up and not putting a gross-nasty seawater and gunk dinghy into your sleeping quarters?
Old 18-09-2012, 09:06   #11

Re: Collapsible inflatable recommendation

The hard floor rollups are easier than solid wood/composite floors(avon or achilles), but the plywood or composite floors are more rigid.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 07:51   #12

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Curiously, how did you manage the clean up and not putting a gross-nasty seawater and gunk dinghy into your sleeping quarters?

wipe it off with a detergent solution. also it comes with a cover. And I have a bunch of plastic tarps I put on top of the cushions - would do that anyway so that foulies could be put there too

and cheechako is right that the plywood floors are more rigid than the aluminum interlocking slats we had but we never had a problem. It worked fine and rolled up pretty small. Weighed less than 100lbs. and so I could drag it around the boat alone if I had to.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 10:16   #13

Boat: Pearson 33

I have a Apex 27 RI with a roll up floor. Stowed it is 3'x2'x16". Pretty small for a 9' dinghy with big tubes. Very happy with it but it is not cheap.
dugout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 16:11   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

We have a wetline (PVC) roundtail with an inflateable floor, as it has no solid transom or floor boards it rolls up pretty small and we really like the floor, however after only 6 years its really quite tatty and the fabric straps that locate the seat are both gone, I've made a seat that sits ontop of the tubes.

Tags
inflatable