Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2019, 08:18   #1

Boat: Colegate 26
Clear kayak or canoe?

I had a quick search and can't believe this hasn't already been talked about here, but I didn't get any results ...

Does anyone have experience with the clear kayak or canoe products? They seem "neat", but rather expensive and the Amazon and other reviews are very much all over the charts.

I think it's strange they don't use typical hull shape designs, and rely on frames and flotation inserts. I assume this is because the clear materials being used are likely heavier and weaker than what's being used by other manufacturers.

The "Crystal Kayak" is currently on sale, presumably because they're clearing stock to go out of business or introduce a new model? But they can be had in singles for a thousand dollars off, which is still considerably more than a traditional kayak of good quality. They can be bought in bulk for even bigger discounts.

The idea of a clear boat is compelling to me as we're currently in the Abacos and I think it could be fun, and better than a glass bottom bucket from the dinghy (which I also don't have ...).

Is there anyone here with experience?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 11:02   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Clear kayak or canoe?

No direct experience with them but I believe they are mainly vacuum formed acrylic or polycarbonate (which would be much lighter or stronger). Crystal says they are using 6mm (1/4") Lexan, which is damned strong stuff. No mention of a sale on Amazon, just "factory direct savings" at an everyday price of $1599, which may be reasonable BUT if someone just wants an 11' long canoe...You can find that for $200. And it sures looks like a canoe pretending to be a sityak, not a real kayak at all. (Like so many watertoys these days.)
Pricey alternative to plain snorkeling, isn't it?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 11:28   #3

Boat: Colegate 26
Re: Clear kayak or canoe?

On Crystal Kayak's own website they list them as $2499 with a sale price of $1599. And if you buy TEN they're only $999 each.

https://www.crystalkayak.com/collections/all

Hang on I have to pick my eyes up - they just rolled out of my head.

It's hard for me to justify the cost considering it's so much more expensive than a traditional better performing product.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Kayak