Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2018, 08:06   #46

Boat: C&C 34
Re: Chineese or cheap forced air disel heaters vs expencive alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
It's overheated (shut down with an error code) on anything much above half-way on the heat setting since it was first installed. The air intake and outlet are within a couple of feet of the unit, with only one 90 degree elbow each. The exhaust hose probably runs 7-8 feet, with some ups and downs along the way.

I suspect that length of exhaust hose, although within spec IIRC, is probably the problem. I'm planning to remove the combustion air intake hose and see if there's any improvement.

Capt Tom,

I had a similar issue with my first unit. The fan motors on these units cannot take much restriction on the fresh air inlet(heated air going into cabin). I kept getting an getting the fan overload warning. A shorter higher quality inlet duct solved this.

Also the plastic cases on these heaters are real crap. The fans on both of my heaters were rubbing the case. One I couldn’t even hear. To resolve this I took the heater out of the case and extended the feet on the bottom of the heater. These feet rest on the inside of the case and align the fan with the inlet hole. Now the fan is in the center of the inlet hole and the it works considerably better.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 08:39   #47

Smile Re: Chineese or cheap forced air disel heaters vs expencive alternatives

I’m using the Russian made Planar on a Silverton 352 that I live aboard. It is now 5 years old and works great. Used the expanding aluminium dryer tube for distribution fore and aft and the radiated heat from the tube also warms the bilge. My morage is 30 miles east of Vancouver BC on the Fraser River and we do get ice bound at times over the winter months and the Planar unit keeps me warm
nervuswrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 12:05   #48

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
Capt Tom,

I had a similar issue with my first unit. The fan motors on these units cannot take much restriction on the fresh air inlet(heated air going into cabin). I kept getting an getting the fan overload warning. A shorter higher quality inlet duct solved this.

Also the plastic cases on these heaters are real crap. The fans on both of my heaters were rubbing the case. One I couldn’t even hear. To resolve this I took the heater out of the case and extended the feet on the bottom of the heater. These feet rest on the inside of the case and align the fan with the inlet hole. Now the fan is in the center of the inlet hole and the it works considerably better.
I'm using very short runs for the ducts. Just an aluminum "el" for the outlet, and a short aluminum flex duct for the inlet. None of that plastic dryer vent hose with all the ribs to restrict flow.

I do get very good air flow, so I'm assuming the fan is OK.

I'll try removing the intake hose completely. No real need for it, when I think about it. If that solves the overheating problem, that would be great.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 13:44   #49

Boat: 1939 Richardson Cruisabout 33

I installed a 5k Chinese model in my van. Instructions are horrible, but it’s straight forward. I found a lot of information on a Facebook page called “Chinese diesel air heaters”.
So far it works great but haven’t put it through it’s paces in real world outdoor use.
Parts-wise they say you should get a quality Kyocera glow-plug and either swap it out or have it on the ready.
Kentb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 16:35   #50

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Update: I removed the combustion air intake hose and the cabin air intake duct. Ran it up to about 75% for 15-20 minutes. No overheat error codes or shutdown.

I'm calling this the solution. For me, anyway.

Thanks to all who helped me down this path!!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 16:58   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Update: I removed the combustion air intake hose and the cabin air intake duct. Ran it up to about 75% for 15-20 minutes. No overheat error codes or shutdown.

I'm calling this the solution. For me, anyway.

Thanks to all who helped me down this path!!
sounds like it was cold air return was restricted.
A lesson for all of us
Old 27-11-2018, 17:05   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Finally found a picture of the elbow with drain for the exhaust
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EBERSPACHER...edirect=mobile
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	80