Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2014, 08:37   #1

Caribe C10X

I'm looking for a RIB for our 35 ft sailboat. We use davits. Our old dinghy weighed 80 lbs and worked real well weight wise. We could easily lift it with the 6 hp motor on it.
I see a used Caribe with 15 hp motor for sale. I'm thinking the 6 hp motor would be too small for a dinghy this size. I read the dinghy weighs 160 lbs. I've contacted the davit manufacturer to ask about this much weight. Some place I heard about these double hull boats getting water between the hulls, does anyone know if these boats have a drain ? Is the space filled with foam ? Water would really be a problem, I'd like an AB ultra light but have not found one in my snack bracket yet.
Any other comments about these boats ?
Tnx, Bob

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BobH260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 09:14   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Caribe C10X

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH260 View Post
I'm looking for a RIB for our 35 ft sailboat. We use davits. Our old dinghy weighed 80 lbs and worked real well weight wise. We could easily lift it with the 6 hp motor on it.
I see a used Caribe with 15 hp motor for sale. I'm thinking the 6 hp motor would be too small for a dinghy this size. I read the dinghy weighs 160 lbs. I've contacted the davit manufacturer to ask about this much weight. Some place I heard about these double hull boats getting water between the hulls, does anyone know if these boats have a drain ? Is the space filled with foam ? Water would really be a problem, I'd like an AB ultra light but have not found one in my snack bracket yet.
Any other comments about these boats ?
Tnx, Bob

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
My AB 10'06" RIB (lite model) has a small double hull and a drain plug in the double hull. The space is empty. Weighs about 120 pounds. The standard Caribes are too heavy and quite a few leak into the double hull.
Old 26-09-2014, 13:17   #3

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

Bob,

I have a C10X and there is a drain for the hollow space between decks. Based on reports of leaking into the space between the floor and hull, I removed and rebedded my towing eye in the bow, which was the reported source of the leaks. Dry as a bone for almost a year so far.

The C10X is heavy, but it is a great and comfortable boat. I keep mine on my davits, which are part of my arch. I do remove the 15hp OB each time, which is probably unnecessary.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 13:25   #4

That dingy sounds awfully heavy. MY 10ft double hull was about 130lbs if I remember. And yes it got water betwixt the hulls. My recommendation is find a single hull one. Is that 160# one 10ft??

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 17:11   #5

Thanks very much for the info. My davits are rated at 250 lbs. I think I'll pass on this Caribe and keep my eyes open for one between 80 and 120 lbs.
Bob
BobH260 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib