Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 14:55   #31

Re: Canoe as a Tender / Dinghy ?

Interestingly, I was considering a canoe as well. Choosing between the same models, the Esquif cargo or the wide transom sportspal. Then I came across this video:

A canoemaran! Two canoes with a metal frame holding them together. With two sportspal canoes and a frame, you have the option of dragging it assembled behind you or disassembling it and strapping it down on deck.
aryaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 18:57   #32

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Interesting idea but that's a lot of boat to hang from the davits. I saw an outrigger kit at the local outdoors store - haven't seen them in use though.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 15:02   #33

Quote:
Interesting idea but that's a lot of boat to hang from the davits. I saw an outrigger kit at the local outdoors store - haven't seen them in use though.
Each sportspal canoe weighs 72 lbs or less (heaviest model is 72 lbs, lightest is 48 lbs), plus whatever poles you used to connect. So less than 180 lbs total (assuming 40+ lbs for the framing). Considering it can be broken down to form two separate vessels if needed, I like the flexibility.

If you want to get fancy you can even add a deck between the canoes, for a little more weight of course.
aryaba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tender, dinghy