Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2017, 23:52   #16

Boat: Montevideo 43
Re: Can a missing dinghy strap handle be replaced?

Guy,Dont be weird. I dont know what a Carib dinghy looks like. I have a Subby. Do you know what that looks like? In my part of the world ( Yes, there are other worlds apart from USA) Things have different names.Duh
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 06:21   #17

Boat: 2012 Lagoon 500

Should I deflate the dinghy before hand or leave it fully inflated?
SailMonAmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 06:31   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailMonAmi View Post
Should I deflate the dinghy before hand or leave it fully inflated?
Always glued on handles when it was fully inflated. Makes it much easier to work with.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:33   #19

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

You should get the fabricated ones where a handle is fixed to a patch. That will give you enough surface area for the glue to hold. I suspect simply gluing a strap to your tube will not have enough area to handle a strong pull.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:45   #20

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If the dink's a RIB, one option is to add some padeyes to her floor as described below. And then attach some rope handles to them. Which, you can tailor their length to your liking, & even add sections of PVC tubing over the rope for handles that are softer on the hands. And it'd be easy enough to setup something where by they're held up within reach, at the gunwale level.

To do this you can bond some FRP plate, G-10, or (cringe) Marine Plywood pads to the inside of the bottom of the hull, & then put a few padeyes on them on the floor. You'd want to bevel or bullnose the edges of the pads, & perhaps add a bit of tabbing around their perimeter. Up to you. But if you add such pads, & then epoxy bond the fasteners into said pads, they'll be more than strong enough.

Use 4-bolt padeyes, with a big footprint. So that the load is spread out over a larger area. And pick ones that are "kick friendly", as you'll want the installation of the pads to be as well. No point in setting yourself up for broken toes.

EDIT: Before you decide where exactly to add the pads & padeyes to, think through what kinds of items you might put into the dink that it would be good to be able to tie down. Be that scuba tanks, an anchor(s), milk crates full of random heavy gear, etc. And then put in tie downs for everything at the same time you add the padeyes.

Slotted toerail track makes an excellent basis for this kind of thing, as you get so many tie down options with it due to the multiplicity of holes in it. Plus you can use it to lift the dink via davits. Thus it's multi-purpose.

Also, try not to attach any metal hardware to the dink's floor that'll abrade the tubes when they're deflated & folded down. Especially when it's deflated, inverted, & lashed down to your deck or cabin top.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy