Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2010, 08:36   #16

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
I was horrified by the tales of inflatables that either never fully inflated or were blown away by the wind. Ended up with a rigid 12 man raft, about 7 ft by 4 ft by 14 inches. Add some wet suits, tarps, supplies etc in a ditch bag secured to the raft.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 16:50   #17

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight
Anyone have opinions about Switlik or Winslow? Looking to buy one in a year or two...
HHNTR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:21   #18
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
Re: Buying a Six-Person Liferaft in Canister

Do you have an opinion on Winslow?
What would be your best brand, not considering price?
Would you choose pelican case instead of valiese?
How about stored in cockpit locker, helm seat versus down below?
I would appreciate your opinion.
If you want do rdwoodsmd at drrobertwoods dot com
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:06   #19

Boat: MOODY 46 CUTTER

Just bought a GIVENS 6 person deluxe offshore. Not cheap, but the best in my opinion.
sea dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:10   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
Do you have an opinion on Winslow?
What would be your best brand, not considering price?
Would you choose pelican case instead of valiese?
How about stored in cockpit locker, helm seat versus down below?
I would appreciate your opinion.
If you want do rdwoodsmd at drrobertwoods dot com
I have a Winslow on order.
What I can say about them is the quality of service: they answer all questions immediately and are very open.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:01   #21

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987

I just had my Winslow Canopied Coastal Plus 6 passenger repacked for the 3rd time. 9YO. I keep it below, so have it serviced on the shrink wrap schedule, even though it is just in a valise. It is light enough that there is no problem getting it up into the cockpit in an emergency. Have only seen model inflated at boat shows-I had it repacked once at Winslow, twice at local outfitter in Los Angeles. Very satisfied with it and would buy it again. Good feedback and service both from Winslow and the local outfitter. Previous Switlik was just too heavy to deal with easily, and offshore supplies and plans for many days at sea are just a waste in the era of EPIRBs, DSC, SatCom, etc.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 04:34   #22

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea dog View Post
Just bought a GIVENS 6 person deluxe offshore. Not cheap, but the best in my opinion.
I have this raft also. Hope I never have an occasion to review it.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 15:51   #23

Boat: 1981 Hunter 37 cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by sded
I just had my Winslow Canopied Coastal Plus 6 passenger repacked for the 3rd time. 9YO. I keep it below, so have it serviced on the shrink wrap schedule, even though it is just in a valise. It is light enough that there is no problem getting it up into the cockpit in an emergency. Have only seen model inflated at boat shows-I had it repacked once at Winslow, twice at local outfitter in Los Angeles. Very satisfied with it and would buy it again. Good feedback and service both from Winslow and the local outfitter. Previous Switlik was just too heavy to deal with easily, and offshore supplies and plans for many days at sea are just a waste in the era of EPIRBs, DSC, SatCom, etc.
What are they charging these days for recertification? My Winslow is due next year. Do you leave it or stay there and watch?
foustjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 16:04   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Equivalent to $300 this side of the pond which would include replacing flares and tablets etc.

Slight thread drift but I am surprised at the prices you pay in the US for life rafts. We have just paid the equivalent of $990 for a coastal life raft in the UK. Yachting magazines gave it a good write up and a similar Plastimo will be about the same.

Seago Offshore Liferaft 4 Man Valise - Only £569.00 - Force 4 Chandlery

Pete
Attached Images

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 00:17   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Equivalent to $300 this side of the pond which would include replacing flares and tablets etc.

Slight thread drift but I am surprised at the prices you pay in the US for life rafts. We have just paid the equivalent of $990 for a coastal life raft in the UK. Yachting magazines gave it a good write up and a similar Plastimo will be about the same.

Seago Offshore Liferaft 4 Man Valise - Only £569.00 - Force 4 Chandlery

Pete
Indeed. Odd but it seems that life rafts are about half price in the UK. Can the difference be product liability insurance, perhaps?

I'm having one of ours repacked next week; it costs 100 pounds ($165) plus consumables; also much cheaper than in the US it seems.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 12:34   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Quote:
Originally Posted by foustjl View Post
Do you leave it or stay there and watch?
You are betting your life--literally--on the condition of the raft and the quality of the job that is done repacking it.

One might suggest that if you don't stick around to observe what is done, you might as well roll the dice.

Humans make mistakes, and that includes raft packers. And that's ignoring the documented issues with repackers actually stealing the raft and returning a cannister full of something else. (Yes, it has been known to happen.)

the simplest and most cost effecxtive routine may be to sell the raft while it is still in certification, and buy a new one. Once you figure out devaluation versus the cost of continuing recertifications (including restocking and repairs) and add in your time and effort and shipping costs, the numbers aren't so different as they might seem.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liferaft