Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2010, 09:36   #16
Registered User
 
lorenzo b's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Panama
Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Posts: 961
I was horrified by the tales of inflatables that either never fully inflated or were blown away by the wind. Ended up with a rigid 12 man raft, about 7 ft by 4 ft by 14 inches. Add some wet suits, tarps, supplies etc in a ditch bag secured to the raft.
__________________

__________________
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 17:50   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rowayton, Ct.
Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight
Posts: 139
Anyone have opinions about Switlik or Winslow? Looking to buy one in a year or two...
__________________

__________________
HHNTR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:21   #18
RDW
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
Posts: 378
Re: Buying a Six-Person Liferaft in Canister

Do you have an opinion on Winslow?
What would be your best brand, not considering price?
Would you choose pelican case instead of valiese?
How about stored in cockpit locker, helm seat versus down below?
I would appreciate your opinion.
If you want do rdwoodsmd at drrobertwoods dot com
__________________
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:06   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: TORONTO
Boat: MOODY 46 CUTTER
Posts: 2
Re: Buying a Six-Person Liferaft in Canister

Just bought a GIVENS 6 person deluxe offshore. Not cheap, but the best in my opinion.
__________________
sea dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:10   #20
Registered User
 
Alecadi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Marathon FL
Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Posts: 937
Re: Buying a Six-Person Liferaft in Canister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
Do you have an opinion on Winslow?
What would be your best brand, not considering price?
Would you choose pelican case instead of valiese?
How about stored in cockpit locker, helm seat versus down below?
I would appreciate your opinion.
If you want do rdwoodsmd at drrobertwoods dot com
I have a Winslow on order.
What I can say about them is the quality of service: they answer all questions immediately and are very open.
__________________
People spend time putting little boats in bottles, me I put bottles in my little boat...
Alecadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 13:01   #21
Registered User
 
sded's Avatar

Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Diego
Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
Posts: 228
Re: Buying a Six-Person Liferaft in Canister

I just had my Winslow Canopied Coastal Plus 6 passenger repacked for the 3rd time. 9YO. I keep it below, so have it serviced on the shrink wrap schedule, even though it is just in a valise. It is light enough that there is no problem getting it up into the cockpit in an emergency. Have only seen model inflated at boat shows-I had it repacked once at Winslow, twice at local outfitter in Los Angeles. Very satisfied with it and would buy it again. Good feedback and service both from Winslow and the local outfitter. Previous Switlik was just too heavy to deal with easily, and offshore supplies and plans for many days at sea are just a waste in the era of EPIRBs, DSC, SatCom, etc.
__________________
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 05:34   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: Bristol 38.8
Posts: 1,625
Re: Buying a Six-Person Liferaft in Canister

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea dog View Post
Just bought a GIVENS 6 person deluxe offshore. Not cheap, but the best in my opinion.
I have this raft also. Hope I never have an occasion to review it.
__________________
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 16:51   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Boat: 1981 Hunter 37 cutter
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sded
I just had my Winslow Canopied Coastal Plus 6 passenger repacked for the 3rd time. 9YO. I keep it below, so have it serviced on the shrink wrap schedule, even though it is just in a valise. It is light enough that there is no problem getting it up into the cockpit in an emergency. Have only seen model inflated at boat shows-I had it repacked once at Winslow, twice at local outfitter in Los Angeles. Very satisfied with it and would buy it again. Good feedback and service both from Winslow and the local outfitter. Previous Switlik was just too heavy to deal with easily, and offshore supplies and plans for many days at sea are just a waste in the era of EPIRBs, DSC, SatCom, etc.
What are they charging these days for recertification? My Winslow is due next year. Do you leave it or stay there and watch?
__________________
foustjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 17:04   #24
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 8,520
Images: 14
Re: Buying a Six-Person Liferaft in Canister

Equivalent to $300 this side of the pond which would include replacing flares and tablets etc.

Slight thread drift but I am surprised at the prices you pay in the US for life rafts. We have just paid the equivalent of $990 for a coastal life raft in the UK. Yachting magazines gave it a good write up and a similar Plastimo will be about the same.

Seago Offshore Liferaft 4 Man Valise - Only 569.00 - Force 4 Chandlery

Pete
Attached Images
 
__________________
Moody 31 - April Lass
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 01:17   #25
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,726
Re: Buying a Six-Person Liferaft in Canister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Equivalent to $300 this side of the pond which would include replacing flares and tablets etc.

Slight thread drift but I am surprised at the prices you pay in the US for life rafts. We have just paid the equivalent of $990 for a coastal life raft in the UK. Yachting magazines gave it a good write up and a similar Plastimo will be about the same.

Seago Offshore Liferaft 4 Man Valise - Only 569.00 - Force 4 Chandlery

Pete
Indeed. Odd but it seems that life rafts are about half price in the UK. Can the difference be product liability insurance, perhaps?

I'm having one of ours repacked next week; it costs 100 pounds ($165) plus consumables; also much cheaper than in the US it seems.
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 13:34   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,022
Re: Buying a Six-Person Liferaft in Canister

Quote:
Originally Posted by foustjl View Post
Do you leave it or stay there and watch?
You are betting your life--literally--on the condition of the raft and the quality of the job that is done repacking it.

One might suggest that if you don't stick around to observe what is done, you might as well roll the dice.

Humans make mistakes, and that includes raft packers. And that's ignoring the documented issues with repackers actually stealing the raft and returning a cannister full of something else. (Yes, it has been known to happen.)

the simplest and most cost effecxtive routine may be to sell the raft while it is still in certification, and buy a new one. Once you figure out devaluation versus the cost of continuing recertifications (including restocking and repairs) and add in your time and effort and shipping costs, the numbers aren't so different as they might seem.
__________________

__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
liferaft

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: S/S Liferaft Cradle - Originally for Switlik (Canister) Sailndive345 Classifieds Archive 0 03-08-2009 09:30
Liferaft Avon 6 Person Offshore Life Raft gbohner Classifieds Archive 0 05-05-2008 12:59
Liferaft Avon 6 Person Valise Offshore gbohner Classifieds Archive 0 17-04-2008 14:35
Propane Camping Canister Stoves Jim H Provisioning: Food & Drink 14 07-12-2005 20:31



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:02.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.