Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2018, 06:53   #1
Registered User

Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 613
Brompton Electric Conversion

Hi,
Has anyone a Brompton Electric folding bike.
How do you find it?
Did you convert a normal Brompton or buy a factory electric model?
Is it reliable?
Any downsides?
I'm thinking of buying an electric conversion kit.
Thanks John
__________________

Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 07:23   #2
Registered User
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pangaea
Posts: 10,608
Re: Brompton Electric Conversion

It’s just a front wheel replacement kt. The front wheel is the drive wheel and then placement for the battery pack.
__________________

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 15:13   #3
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 25,463
Re: Brompton Electric Conversion

Look on amazon or EBay for a 20 electric bicycle conversion kit, if its a 20.
Downside is weight and expense, wheel and battery weigh more than you might think.
Plus having that heavy wheel makes it a dog to ride as a regular bike, same for the battery weight.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 15:27   #4
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 3,897
Re: Brompton Electric Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Hi,
Has anyone a Brompton Electric folding bike.
How do you find it?
Did you convert a normal Brompton or buy a factory electric model?
Is it reliable?
Any downsides?
I'm thinking of buying an electric conversion kit.
Thanks John
Bromptons are great little machines. I think it would be a crime to electrify one, and would sort of defeat the point of owning such a primo folding bike. My 2 cents obviously.

This year I bought a halfway decent 20" folding bike (aluminum frame, 8-speed) for approx US$300. Not a Brompton, but it's only getting occasional use (and i have 3 other non-folding bikes ). I had a cheap conventional e-bike a few years ago, but it was a beast and too heavy.

If you're keen on having a folding electric bike, why not electrify a less expensive one? You could do that for well under a grand, and if you decide you love it, then you might consider an e-brompton.
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 15:36   #5
Registered User
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pangaea
Posts: 10,608
Re: Brompton Electric Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Bromptons are great little machines. I think it would be a crime to electrify one, and would sort of defeat the point of owning such a primo folding bike. My 2 cents obviously.

This year I bought a halfway decent 20" folding bike (aluminum frame, 8-speed) for approx US$300. Not a Brompton, but it's only getting occasional use (and i have 3 other non-folding bikes ). I had a cheap conventional e-bike a few years ago, but it was a beast and too heavy.

If you're keen on having a folding electric bike, why not electrify a less expensive one. You could do that for well under a grand, and if you decide you love it, then you might consider an e-brompton.
Not a crime if the person wanting one has bad knees. IMHO
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 15:42   #6
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 3,897
Re: Brompton Electric Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Not a crime if the person wanting one has bad knees. IMHO

I only meant that the Brompton is such a sweet bike that adding electrics to it would negate so many of it's good qualities - especially weight and handling. There are folding e-bikes out there for much less.

Now... if one wants the best folding e-bike available and money is no object... I have little doubt that the electric Brompton is the one.
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 18:11   #7
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 25,463
Brompton Electric Conversion

Well, you could do like I did.
It was meant to fit inside the baggage compartment of my airplane which it did, and I ran it off of Avgas, so no carburetor plugging problems.
Its not particularly quiet though.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0170.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	170528
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 23:27   #8
Registered User

Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 613
Re: Brompton Electric Conversion

Thanks for the replies,
Im thinking of getting the conversion kit off eBay, i Wonder if its reliable...
I see that in the states there seems to be a very good conversion company.
__________________

Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electric

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brompton Folding Bike Reviews? Kenomac Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations 78 12-08-2016 18:14
Hybrid Electric Conversion for a Cat jdisarro Boat Ownership & Making a Living 41 07-07-2011 14:14
Electric Conversion of My Catalina 30 JRM Engines and Propulsion Systems 4 11-03-2011 19:06
Harken 56 Two-Speed Winch - Conversion to Electric mikefp60 Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 1 05-03-2010 15:00
Windlass conversion maual to electric AnchorageGuy Construction, Maintenance & Refit 6 16-01-2007 08:54



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:03.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.