Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2007, 09:05   #1

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
Boston Whaler Squall?

Does anyone have experience with (or know anything about) a sailing dink produced by Boston Whaler?

They call it a "Squall" and has swing keel & rudder.

A neighbor is asking $800 for their's and I'm seeking any info anyone may have... particularly how much they might weigh.

Thanx,

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:10   #2

Squall

The Squall is a well made, nice rowing, 9-foot long dinghy with a sailing rig. They are a little tippy compared to some dinghys. If I remember correctly, they weigh about 125 pounds. Do a web search on the squall and you can find out the exact specifications.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Bill
Billv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 14:24   #3

Boat: caliber 40lrc Soul Searcher
one just sold on yacht world with an asking price over two thousand dollers. might bee worth it to flip if its in good shape
Old 11-02-2007, 21:51   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
gosh .. I've owned two of them .. and still have the second. it is actually 9' 4" long ... originally lanteen rigged .. I changed mine to marconi (no jib). Does pretty well - I put in a long mast too. Loose footed main, but with boom. And yes.. it weighs about 125 or so.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 14:02   #5

I have just aquired a squall and it can be carried by two people easily. I am researching oars for the 9 foot squall and ideas on recommended length?
holeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 16:51   #6
Senior Cruiser

yes ... it may be carried by two people .. easily ... on the dock or dry land. It gets real interesting when trying to launch from the deck of your boat when at anchor. The good thing is, no matter how it hits the water, it will float

I will try and remember to measure the oars that I have (that work very well). I seem to recall that they are right about 5 foot ... maybe a bit more. Get wood. I would also suggest installing a couple of mid-ship cleats (inside, not on top).

Did you get the mast, tiller/rudder, boom, and sail? Lanteen rigged?
Old 14-02-2007, 09:45   #7

Yes, we have the all of the sailing parts as well as a 2 hp outboard, but no oars. We are hoping to teach our grandchildren how to use a boat starting with rowing. Another question comes to mind and that has to do with the oarlocks. The locks that came with the squall are the horn shaped type and I am concerned that we may loose an oar or two with our students. Are there ways to attach them better? I have more questions than answers always.

Tim
holeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2007, 10:15   #8
Senior Cruiser

My suggestion is to use wooden oars with attached oarlocks. They float and cannot be lost.
Old 14-02-2007, 15:12   #9

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
I found a pile of information

by doing a web search on the Squall by Boston Whaler.

Oars as supplied by BW were 6 ft.

Happy Sailing... er... Rowing!

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 16:02   #10

Boat: Sea Ray Sedan Bridge 30'
Question Re: Boston Whaler Squall?

Hello Friends, I just registered with this site. Looks fasinating. I just bought a Sea Ray Sedand Bridge-30' and it came with a 9' Boston Whaler Squall sailing/rowing dink. Really fun to sail or row. I know nothing about this Squall. When were they made, etc. I will probably try to sell it and purchase another dink. It is in great shape. How do I find out it's worth.

Bert
bertc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 16:09   #11

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Boston Whaler Squall?

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum bertc2000
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 17:47   #12

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Boston Whaler Squall?

Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen. Welcome to the forum. The Squall was discussed within the last three months. A forum search would have haken you about 0.341618 sec. That ain't that long. This fine boat is "tippy" (sailors call that "tender") because it's round bottom. This is a good thing to have in a boat.

5 and 6' oars? That what you get with those phoney inflatables. Get some 8 footers and don't get them from We$t marine. If you're really going to row it, and that's a wonderful thing to do, you'll never regret money spent on good oars. To save another thread, drill a hole in the blades so you can run a cable thru them to lock em to the Squall. My guess on the Squall's weight would have been 8 or 900 #. Two average male humans can carry it but easy? Heh.

Sure wish I had mine back.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 19:04   #13

Re: Boston Whaler Squall ?

I just found one in a barn. Kinda dirty but has to weigh over 200 pound. whats it worth?
klonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 21:32   #14

Boat: Endeavour 37

If it weighs more than 140, it's probably saturated, and will take a long time to drain. I have one I am going to sell soon, will ask $1500, with all the original stuff except the oars. I've used 6' wooden oars, and it rows like a dream.
NoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 16:52   #15

Where are you located? I'd like to find a nice one, in good condition. My boat is in Seattle.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote