Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 08:49   #1

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster
Boston Whaler for dingy?

Has anyone used a Boston Whaler as a dingy? There is one close by that is for sale. It is 8.5 or 9 feet long. The asking price is $650 but I think I can get it for less, maybe $400.

One negative may be the weight, although I don't know how much it weights.

One positive is it is self baleing. Also, it is unsinkable.

Thanks,
David
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Boston Whaler for dingy?

Dave, I have used a BW as a ski boat, and a general knockabout. They are great boat, but too heavy for a tender unless you have one of those floating castles. I have seen them being used for them.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:04   #3

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

You've also got an issue with "freeboard" as the whaler in the smaller boats dosent have much and in open water the waves come over the sides, thats the older boats, I hear they have a newer version with higher sides
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:22   #4
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I say go for it, its a pretty cheap test compared to a 4 or 5k inflatable. If you dont like it, sell it and you might not even lose any money. It should work good, depends if your crossing oceans. Some peope are anti-tow and feel it needs to be on deck. Many also feel being able to row it is a must.
I never row and don't ever plan to. A whaler probably not a great rower. Put a 2 stroke 15 hp on it and enjoy. You wont know till ya try it out. I'm a big fan of RIB inflatables with 15 or 20 hp 2 strokes and I carry a 9.9 yam 2stroke and 3.5 merc 4stroke as back up. No rowing here.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:01   #5
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Newt is right on-wat too much weight ,
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:07   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Without davits, it has to be light enough to lift out of the water.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:11   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Those small Whalers are difficult for getting out of the water when swimming, diving and snorkeling. "Unsinkable" doesn't imply that they are unswampable.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:19   #8
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Pretty quick to condemm this idea. Do we even know what his plans are for it? And has anyone weighed it? What you may feel is unsuitable may be fine with the other 50% of people on this planet. Some here portray the atitude that theres only 1 right way to cruise. And $400 is pennys in a boat budget. Maybe try it for a month or two and make a informed choice. Saying its way too heavy is helping who? Maybe the OP is going to live on the hook for 6 months.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:31   #9

Apparently the 9ft tender weighs in at 165lbs dead empty, no motor. BW's have a huge following for stability etc in larger boats, but they are a little shy on the freeboard for sure. Hey... if you have to live with 9 ft and can tow it, it's a deal at $400. If cruising and you dont have a big mothership and davits... maybe not so good.. are inflatables really $4k now? I bought a used 10ft+ Hypalon Achilles 3 years ago for $350. It came with new oars, old oars, all the accessories , repair kit, manual etc. Doesnt leak a drop. But I'm not in Florida where the sun burns everything up!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:36   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

A close friend used one for many years as a tender 9.9 hp,was a good tender,However he was on a trawler and when crossing the stream hoisted on the aft dive platform on its side,when in the Islands he pulled it don't remember any complaints about towing.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:51   #11
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Apparently the 9ft tender weighs in at 165lbs dead empty, no motor. BW's have a huge following for stability etc in larger boats, but they are a little shy on the freeboard for sure. Hey... if you have to live with 9 ft and can tow it, it's a deal at $400. If cruising and you dont have a big mothership and davits... maybe not so good.. are inflatables really $4k now? I bought a used 10ft+ Hypalon Achilles 3 years ago for $350. It came with new oars, old oars, all the accessories , repair kit, manual etc. Doesnt leak a drop. But I'm not in Florida where the sun burns everything up!
The guy next door restores these BW almost full time, and what happens is they get a small hole in them and soak up the water like a sponge, so this same 165lb BW could be 700-1000lbs++ easy- Ive seen him do about a dozen over the last few years and everyone of them had water in the foam and even after sitting a year a lot of the water is still there- If your getting it that cheap its a very good chance its holding water!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
The guy next door restores these BW almost full time, and what happens is they get a small hole in them and soak up the water like a sponge, so this same 165lb BW could be 700-1000lbs++ easy- Ive seen him do about a dozen over the last few years and everyone of them had water in the foam and even after sitting a year a lot of the water is still there- If your getting it that cheap its a very good chance its holding water!
Ahhh... some insider info is great! One lift ought to be able to tell that!
I remember once my double floor AB inflatable RIB just wouldnt plane well, was sluggish and seemd heavy. Come to find out, water had seeped inside the air space.... wow what a difference when I drained it out!

Old 11-04-2012, 11:02   #13

Boat: too many

Weighs 64 lbs, due to the air entrapment cat hull, 5 hp makes it haul ass, 15 hp = insane fun, and easy to get into from the water.

LITE SERIES - Takacat.com
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:13   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
Pretty quick to condemm this idea. Do we even know what his plans are for it?
It was a loser boat, and anyone who's been around cruising for a few decades knows it. Three person maximum capacity, and only rated for a 5 hp outboard. Way too heavy for what you got with it, and it wouldn't stand up to any sort of chop. Boston Whaler discontinued the boat in the mid 90's because it just wasn't a good tender when compared to the rigid inflatables taking over the market. Even ten years ago you could pick up those old BW "Tenders" for a song because so many folks who had bought them were disappointed with them. And yes, they do tend to gain weight when they age. That foam between the layers gets pretty soggy.

And, as I said before, you can't dive out of one, or snorkel, or swim.

There, that better?

Condemn, by the way, is not spelled with a double m.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:26   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Weighs 64 lbs, due to the air entrapment cat hull, 5 hp makes it haul ass, 15 hp = insane fun, and easy to get into from the water.

LITE SERIES - Takacat.com
Wow, that looks pretty cool.... assuming it has enough depth to sit comfortably without your knees knocking on your chin!