Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2010, 23:54   #16

Boat: Islander 36
Quick and dirty search and a canister liferaft is 2-3K and up. And you can't take it out and play with it. I don't want to touch the idea that it may be money down the drain if it turns out to be... unrelaible, which you won't find out until it's too late.

I'm thinking the Whaler is not gonna be cheap either.

Yeah, not cheap. Which choice is? All the trade offs (yeah, but... yeah, but...) give me a brain cramp.
Old 19-11-2010, 00:03   #17

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Last week I was in a storm about 1000 miles and less east of New York City. Winds were blowing around 50 knots, and there were many 45-foot waves, breaking. It is hard to imagine any small boat/inflatable/raft not flipping over under those conditions.
Reminds me ... gotta have a drogue as part of a lifeboat/raft rig.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 11:24   #18

Is it possible to keep the mast, boom and sail in a small bag? That would be great to keep right next to it as a "go bag"...
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 11:52   #19

Boat: Oyster 485
Send a message via Skype™ to sobriyah
Before you go ahead and buy a Whaler, you should see how comfortable you are pulling one up the beach. My RIB and 15hp is quite heavy enough thank you.
sobriyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 11:56   #20

Actually an utopic combination would be a Whaler along with torqeedo 1003 and solar charger...
Old 19-11-2010, 16:20   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehmetCan View Post
Is it possible to keep the mast, boom and sail in a small bag? That would be great to keep right next to it as a "go bag"...
Assuming you're talking about the Portland Pudgey Sail kit, I would think they have that worked out since they market it as a proactive part of their liferaft strategy. I'd be interested in knowing how the sail plan of their works in that instance as well.
Old 19-11-2010, 16:34   #22

If you carefully check out their website, you'll see there is a compartment in the hull to store the sailing rig. There's also a storage site for the dagger boards.
Old 19-11-2010, 16:41   #23

Quote:
If you carefully check out their website, you'll see there is a compartment in the hull to store the sailing rig. There's also a storage site for the dagger boards.
A- hah!! You are found guilty of being interested in the idea.

I didn't go that far in my investigation, but I figured they had it covered. I didn't see that it had dagger boards but rather a ... sort of... molded in keel. As long as it works, Ok.

So there ya go.
Old 19-11-2010, 16:49   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
A- hah!! You are found guilty of being interested in the idea.
As I said earlier: "Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one."
Old 19-11-2010, 16:56   #25

Regardless, if you want it to be the lifeboat, acquire the offered sea anchor. Last week in the mid-Atlantic, I observed/experienced 45-foot waves, often cresting. Without a sea anchor, undoubtedly one's boat/raft would have been overturned.
Old 19-11-2010, 19:45   #26

Quote:

Last week in the mid-Atlantic, I observed/experienced 45-foot waves, often cresting.
Something tells me that you have a lot more experience that one might learn from. Just the fact that you are from the Pacific side and last week you saw anything at all in the Atlantic, much less 45 ft waves, for example.

Never having seen such conditions myself, I ask for your opinion. The fact that you would love to have one tells me that you think it might be a good choice option to a life raft... maybe better?

In my feeble attempt to impress anybody, last week I saw the Java Sea. Actually I see it everyday. No waves.
Old 19-11-2010, 20:17   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Something tells me that you have a lot more experience that one might learn from. Just the fact that you are from the Pacific side and last week you saw anything at all in the Atlantic, much less 45 ft waves, for example.

Never having seen such conditions myself, I ask for your opinion. The fact that you would love to have one tells me that you think it might be a good choice option to a life raft... maybe better?
Fortunately, I was on the 965-foot-long Norwegian Gem on a Venice, Italy to New York cruise (my fifth transatlantic trip) during those 45-foot waves and only suffered a spilled bowl of milk on my lap and a badly strained knee. As far as boats go, I'm strictly an inland/coastal cruiser, and would hope to be in a harbor before a storm. In the storm/hurricane conditions I've experienced on ships, I would hope a storm anchor might preserve me on a tiny boat; nothing I'd want to experience. Those cresting, wind-swepped waves are terrifying.
Old 20-11-2010, 04:30   #28

Storm anchor is good but don't forget it puts incredible stress on the rigging. I'd prefer a 200ft rope as draugh...
Old 19-12-2010, 14:19   #29

Boston whaler as tender

minggat,
I'm curious to know more about your setup with your ridged tender i have a 36 islander as well and I'm interested how you rigged your davits and what brand you used, to support what I'm hoping is or is at least the equivalent to an 11 foot Boston whaler (460lbs dry weight). because i have been in the same conundrum for the last few weeks due to the fact i don't like to tow my dinghy if i can help due as a result from a bad delivery experience in the past. if anyone else has any suggestions for such a set up please respond.
Capt. Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 14:20   #30

minggat,
I'm curious to know more about your setup with your ridged tender i have a 36 islander as well and I'm interested how you rigged your davits and what brand you used, to support what I'm hoping is or is at least the equivalent to an 11 foot Boston whaler (460lbs dry weight). because i have been in the same conundrum for the last few weeks due to the fact i don't like to tow my dinghy if i can help due as a result from a bad delivery experience in the past.
Capt. Doc is offline   Reply With Quote