Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2017, 11:09   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Boat Bikes -- Some Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Rust is a constant war which never stops.

Carbon frame is nice - no corrosion and light (helps in dinghy etc), will last forever. You can always change the components. Stores well and carries well if you take the wheels off (less than a 2 minute job)

50 miles in a few hours no problem . . . . even for a middle aged guy in average physical condition

LOL - catch any big fish recently?
most "middle aged guy in average physical condition" cruisers could not finish a 50 mile ride. And most of those that can would not say no sweat. And 12 or 13 mph would be a pretty damn good average speed on a flat course. I ride 20-30 miles every day (actually 6 days/week), on a good carbon racing bike, and 50 is still not in the 'no problem' category in my book.

estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 11:23   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Your transom would very likely be swept with green water, crossing the North Sea. Never once seen a catamaran in these waters BTW.
I'm not so sure that is true. Cats lack a keel and thus ride differently. Not better, just differently. Also, remember that the sternrail is 5 feet forward of the transoms and the deck is 4-5 feet above the water. Technically, the transoms get raked a good bit, but not 56 feet above the waterline, 5 feet forward of the transom. On a mono, for example, that would be repeated, frequent filling of the cockpit. This is the reason that cats do reasonably well with tenders on davits as well--the tender is NOT hanging behind the boat.

As for cats with no protection of the cockpit from the stern, I'm not sure that is smart. But it does support my point. My PDQ 32/34 is center cockpit, which is a little unusual.
Old 18-06-2017, 11:29   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I'm not so sure that is true. Cats lack a keel and thus ride differently. Not better, just differently. Also, remember that the sternrail is 5 feet forward of the transoms and the deck is 4-5 feet above the water. Technically, the transoms get raked a good bit, but not 56 feet above the waterline, 5 feet forward of the transom. On a mono, for example, that would be repeated, frequent filling of the cockpit. This is the reason that cats do reasonably well with tenders on davits as well--the tender is NOT hanging behind the boat.

As for cats with no protection of the cockpit from the stern, I'm not sure that is smart. But it does support my point. My PDQ 32/34 is center cockpit, which is a little unusual.
56 feet above the waterline how big is this catamaran you speak of ? ( I know you mean 5-6 feet ie 1-2meters)
Also imho bikes on deck when on passage just dont look good and are a point of entanglement I just would rather avoid.
Old 18-06-2017, 11:46   #19

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I figured out a long time ago that a folding bike only folds to roughly the size of the wheels. So you want to make the wheels smaller, but riding a bike with small wheels is not as easy or efficient. So I decided to tackle the problem of making the wheels small and large at the same time, make them fold up or disassemble. Then make the frame do the same. Most of the time you would not take the wheels apart unless you will not use the bike for a week or so. My "final" design is a rim cut into 3 pieces, with a staggered cut and locating pins, and 3 removable spokes. I went through about 6 designs to get to this point. I also went through a number of different frame folds and dis-assemblies. I've ridden bikes for 50 years, I was the first one to have a 10 speed that I knew of. It's still normal for me to ride everywhere, often 20 miles at a clip. I have not started my motorcycle for a couple weeks now. I can't stand small wheels.

for pictures go to

my dinghy & bike
Old 18-06-2017, 12:10   #20

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Two Trek, full size bikes on the bow. Plastic crank and sprockets, carbon fiber and aircraft aluminum and best of all Gates belt drive .... Ultra light and nothing to rust. My 5'2" 115lb. wife can carry both of them.

What Trek models are those?

-Chris
Old 18-06-2017, 12:11   #21
cruiser

We keep two Bromptons folded up inside padded, quilted storage bags, which can be stacked anywhere on the boat. We recently took them on a train from Venice, they fit on the overhead.

Try that with a full size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1258.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	150096  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 12:12   #22

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
I've just invested into snap-off pedals to at least get that out of the way, but then I'll lose the ability to use cleats
You should have searched a bit more. MKS makes a line of detachable pedals ("Ezy") which can be single- or double-sided clipless, or platform/clipless combo. Catalog: http://www.mkspedal.com/sites/defaul...017catalogED48[Eng].pdf These can be bought online in the states, and at some dealers (they are a big pedal manufacturer but the detachable are a niche product).

I have the clipless-only detachable pedals, but would consider the combo pedals in the future for my Brompton.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 12:13   #23

Boat: Alaskan 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Two Trek, full size bikes on the bow. Plastic crank and sprockets, carbon fiber and aircraft aluminum and best of all Gates belt drive .... Ultra light and nothing to rust. My 5'2" 115lb. wife can carry both of them.
What brand is your bike? I'm looking for one to leave on my Alaskan 49' foredeck.
Laksmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 12:31   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
What Trek models are those?

-Chris
Trek District
Old 18-06-2017, 12:56   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
56 feet above the waterline how big is this catamaran you speak of ? ( I know you mean 5-6 feet ie 1-2meters)
Also imho bikes on deck when on passage just dont look good and are a point of entanglement I just would rather avoid.
Yeah, at the top of the mast!

Never tangled anything outside the sternrail. Can't imagine what it would be. Probably the only place on a sailboat where you can say that. I've even towed drogues with the dinghy in place with no trouble, and these are above that. But they would be off in that sort of weather.
Old 18-06-2017, 13:01   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post

It was the "in a couple hours" part that got me. I raced in college and still ride ~ 50-100 miles per week at a sharp pace. There are few 25-year olds that can maintain and honest 25 MPH on the level, on their own for more than one mile. Very few. In the draft, of course. 20 MPH average isn't realistic for most. I'm with Starzinger--more like 4 hours, and you'll still know you did something.
Old 18-06-2017, 13:03   #27

Boat: Prout

Rust rust rust! Have aluminium mountain bike but still rust! I love cycling but almost a waste of space. Cruising you have plenty of time to walk and in most places public transport is very cheap. If you have room inside, ok but Im having 2nd thought about having brought it with me.
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 13:06   #28

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

One other thing about my 3 piece wheels, the air pressure holds everything together quite nicely and rigidly. This wheel is probably my best design.

my dinghy & bike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04309.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	150106  
Old 18-06-2017, 13:11   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Yeah, at the top of the mast!

Never tangled anything outside the sternrail. Can't imagine what it would be. Probably the only place on a sailboat where you can say that. I've even towed drogues with the dinghy in place with no trouble, and these are above that. But they would be off in that sort of weather.
The part about them on deck and tangling is just a general observation . I have seen them on the lifelines and strapped to the mast on boats. If the stern rail works for you great. for me thats where my solar panels are.

My dahon is stainless and powder coated. The pedals were replaced a few years ago so they are a point of rust but that lil bit o rust can live with
Old 18-06-2017, 13:28   #30
cruiser

Quote:
It was the "in a couple hours" part that got me. I raced in college and still ride ~ 50-100 miles per week at a sharp pace. There are few 25-year olds that can maintain and honest 25 MPH on the level, on their own for more than one mile. Very few. In the draft, of course. 20 MPH average isn't realistic for most. I'm with Starzinger--more like 4 hours, and you'll still know you did something.
Four years ago at age 56, I could ride 28.3mph solo for one hour continuous on the velodrome. Those were the days...

Now my legs can no longer keep up with the cardio, but I find the Bromptons to be lots of fun in a different way.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat