Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2015, 13:13   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Binoculars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I resent the implication that I know nothing about navigation and thus don't care.
I did not intend to imply that at all -- my apologies. It was not supposed to be directed to you in particular. Should have used the word "one" instead of "you". Sorry.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 13:53   #17

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I would be concerned with taking a pair - with compass - purchased in the northern hemisphere into the southern hemisphere....
Understand your concern, but one has to use within the spec of the binocular.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 14:04   #18

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Understand your concern, but one has to use within the spec of the binocular.
Ed Zackery.... which is why when I bought my Fujinons in the UK 20 years ago I passed on the compass option.

Would be OK using a pair bought in N.Am or NEurope in the Caribean or Tahiti... maybe not so good in NZ or Tasmania.

I wonder if the ones sold in Australia are actually ballasted for the Southern hemisphere, maybe they are all set up for zero dip, who knows?
Old 28-02-2015, 14:36   #19

Boat: Bristol 41.1

At the risk of thread drift...

I would consider binocs with a compass useful, but certainly not necessary.

A hand-bearing compass however is vital. Trying to take an accurate bearing (in critical conditions) from a steering compass is imprudent at best.

Over the years I have carried several of the "hockey pucks" by Opti, Morin, etc. Invaluable. They seem to be accurate for +/- 2 degrees even under rocky conditions.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 15:07   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

At the lowest price point the linked Fujinons economy model for about $179 is hard to match.

But if one has some more money I would get something with some better specs.

Note that low priced Fujinon has listed light transmission of 80% of the light. This is a measure of how bright the image will appear in low light or at night.

In comparison, one of the moderately priced West Marine binocs, the Tahiti model is listed with greater than 90% light transmission. That is significantly better performance.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...ecs-_-MB-_-PDP

In addition, the Eye Relief is much greater on the West Marine model, which makes them easier to view a scene when or if you wear glasses. More eye relief is preferable.

The West Marine Tahiti is $299. It also has a limited lifetime warranty, something other brands may not offer.

It also has lighted compass, something I would want. The compass is intended for northern hemisphere.

There is a moderately priced Nikon binoc, similarly priced at $299, but the specs are not as good as the Tahiti.

If you can only afford the $179, get them. If you can spend $299, I would get the West Marine Tahiti.

Later, if you want a more prestigious brand ,get some Steiners, but they are more expensive.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 15:15   #21

At the top of the market they reckon the FMTR Fujinons ( as used by the USCG, Armada de Chile, etc etc ) are as good as the Steiners but far far less expensive.
Also... a bit of thread drift , the US military stopped using the Steiner M22 7x50s some years ago and started using the Fujinon M22s ( with the laser filters ). The Fujis can be found at quite a good price and are a nice binocular but the filters darken the image and so not much use at sea at night.
Old 28-02-2015, 15:16   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
After losing a good pair into the water, I settled on a used pair of eBay. $40 or so. For some reason I have a hard time with binoculars, especially if I leave my glasses on. I've got to remember to ask my eye doctor about this the next time I go.

I sometimes have to ask my wife to look.
Hello.

I suspect you may have been using binoculars with relatively short Eye Relief, if you are wearing glasses and have difficulty seeing through the binocs.

You should look for a pair of binocs with greater Eye Relief. Simply put this is a measurement of the distance from the eyepiece of the binoc to the image the eye sees. If one wears glasses, one needs greater distance. If the eye relief is too short, it is very difficult for eye glass wearers yo see through binocs, but may not be difficult for people who do not wear glasses, due to the fact they get their eyeball closer to the eye cup of the binoc.

See the West Marine Tahiti model I linked above, as it has greater Eye relief than many other moderately priced binocs. It has good specs for people who wear specs. . It has 27.4 mm.

In comparison, the cheaper Fujinons have 18mm eye relief. That is significant.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 15:19   #23

Boat: Currently boatless

I've had Fujinon binocs for over 20 years. Extremely rugged construction, no fogging inside, and very bright in low light conditions. If you get a pair with a compass, make sure it has a functioning light. They are very useful to take bearings at night.
Old 28-02-2015, 16:42   #24

Interesting ..
' ....I know that Steiner compass binos bought in Europe are totally useless (well the compass is) on the equator ....'

Thats in the first post here....

Compasses in the S hemisphere
Old 28-02-2015, 18:07   #25

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Hello.

I suspect you may have been using binoculars with relatively short Eye Relief, if you are wearing glasses and have difficulty seeing through the binocs.

You should look for a pair of binocs with greater Eye Relief. Simply put this is a measurement of the distance from the eyepiece of the binoc to the image the eye sees. If one wears glasses, one needs greater distance. If the eye relief is too short, it is very difficult for eye glass wearers yo see through binocs, but may not be difficult for people who do not wear glasses, due to the fact they get their eyeball closer to the eye cup of the binoc.

See the West Marine Tahiti model I linked above, as it has greater Eye relief than many other moderately priced binocs. It has good specs for people who wear specs. . It has 27.4 mm.

In comparison, the cheaper Fujinons have 18mm eye relief. That is significant.
With or without glasses I have trouble not getting a double image. Even if I adjust the lens on the one side.
Old 28-02-2015, 18:37   #26

For the OP.... at the price you want to pay...stick with porro prism ... to get decent roof prism ones you have to pay $$$$$$ more.
Old 28-02-2015, 18:50   #27

I have a set of Nikon 7x50 Marine binoculars with a compass. The compass is a very nice feature though it might not "work" in different parts of the world. The compass function does not impact the visual usage of the binoculars.

In case you did not notice, people are recommending 7x50s but not explaining why. The 7 is the power/magnification of the optics and more is not always better. I have a pair of Nikon 10x50 binoculars and it is very hard to keep 10 power binoculars steady. Even using something to lean against it is hard to hold steady. 7 power is much easier. The 50 is the light gathering ability of the lens and more is better but with a cost in weight, which affects steady hand holding, and money. I have been very impressed at how much light the 50 objective lens gathers even when it is getting dark.

Having used stabilized camera lenses, I would consider stabilized binoculars to get more power/magnification but that blows the budget.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 19:28   #28

Monohull sailors prefer telescopes.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 19:44   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

My list for a boat compass in order of importance:
7X50
Dry gas filled & waterproof
coated optics
rubber bumpers
Compass (not critical. I find it useful)
Internal night light for the compass (very low importance)

If you wear glasses, you will want the eye piece to accommodate eye-wear. The lens & eye cup will be large and may have a screw-in/out position for persons with or without glasses.

Try out various binocs at any marine or hunting fishing outdoor shop. If you find one you like at your price point get it. I picked a fine set to replace the one broken by my grandson by shopping We$t Marine old & discontinued stock. You can also shop directly on Amazon if you know what you are looking for. Normally 100 to 150.

You will find lots matching the above list. Its the most common standard. We also keep a set of plain 12X50 without compass. This is nice in steady flat water, marinas, hiking. You cannot hold these steady if the boat is moving.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 20:00   #30

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Interesting ..
' ....I know that Steiner compass binos bought in Europe are totally useless (well the compass is) on the equator ....'

Thats in the first post here....

Compasses in the S hemisphere
This is nothing new. Like Bearing compass, they make two versions of them. One for northern and southern hemisphere.
Hand Bearing Compass | Weems & Plath

If you have a Steiner for northern hemisphere, just send it back to factory and have them change it over to southern hemisphere.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote