Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2015, 09:55   #1

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee
Binoculars

Hi everybody...I am trying to get ready for the maiden voyage and the subject of binoculars came up. WOW!! There are sooo many out there and the prices are from, "I think they are too cheap(garbage)" to, "I could never afford those"...What should I do?
I need something for general all-around use that comes in around $100-175.
Suggestions are needed...
Thanks again you ALL!
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 10:07   #2

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: binoculars

Whatever you look for, consider a used pair (because you want the best value for limited bucks), make sure they are 7 X 50 (preferably without prisms to allow more light in twilight or night conditions), and that they are clear from one image edge to the other (indicating they haven't been damaged by dropping). It may be a challenge to find them in this price range, so you have a better chance with previously owned binos.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 10:25   #3

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

This topic came up on Sailnet. Most people suggested these..
Fujinon 7x50 WPC-XL Mariner Binocular with Compass 7107751 B&H

I bought them and have been quite happy.. Not sure they can be beat for the price.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 11:25   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Check Defender, they have refurbished ones form time to time, I bought our stabilized ones there for less than half price as they were refurb, but there is not a mark on them

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 11:47   #5

Re: Binoculars

I have a pair of Nikon Oceanpros, with compass. The image quality seems excellent in all lights. IMHO, the compass is a gimmick and you could save $60 by buying the model without :

Amazon.com : Nikon OceanPro 7x50 Waterproof Binoculars : Nikon Ocean Pro Binoculars : Camera & Photo

Worth looking at if you can stretch the budget a bit.
Old 28-02-2015, 12:03   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I have a pair of Nikon Oceanpros, with compass. The image quality seems excellent in all lights. IMHO, the compass is a gimmick and you could save $60 by buying the model without :

Amazon.com : Nikon OceanPro 7x50 Waterproof Binoculars : Nikon Ocean Pro Binoculars : Camera & Photo

Worth looking at if you can stretch the budget a bit.
Compass a gimmick?

Compass binoculars are more accurate for taking bearings than a regular hand bearing compass. Extremely useful. Assuming, of course, you one knows anything about navigation, and thus, cares.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 12:07   #7

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Anything 7x50 by Fujinon or Nikon... I would pass on the compass option and put the money into the glass.
At that price I would give anything second hand a miss.... esp if buying unseen.
Old 28-02-2015, 12:28   #8

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
IMHO, the compass is a gimmick and you could save $60 by buying the model without :
Are you kidding us?
Well, I guess it depends on how one wants to use their binocular. If he uses it to check out the naked babe on the next boat, you don't really need to use one with compass.

However, if in a jam you need to report to CG or others where your location is. You can tell them you are xxx degree from the water tower and xxx degree from Buoy Number x. They can get a visual fix on you much easier than GPS coordinates.

I am just sayingggg
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 12:32   #9

How good are the compasses in the cheap binos? just asking...
Old 28-02-2015, 12:41   #10

Boat: Bristol 41.1

We carry several:

The serious one is the Fujinon, 7x50, 7.5 degrees, Mil-spec and all the right features, though no compass. 23 years old and still going strong - aside from the attached rubber lens caps which fell off after ten years or so. These my wife typically uses, as her eyesight is the better of the two of us. These cost around $600 nowadays (street price).

The second in line is a Nikon Action Extreme. This is a center focus 7x50, 6.4 degrees, rubber covered set, and are pretty good for about $160. Not Fuji quality, but very acceptable. I've had these about five years.

Third, and the one we loan guests, is a Swift 7x50, also rubberized and center focus. This lasted over ten years but developed some internal fogging, solved by a couple days in the sun. These were less than a hundred dollars (75$) if I recall correctly. I would categorize these as the bare minimum for boaters.

While I don't have a compass equipped version, I can certainly appreciate the added value of it. Good optics are worth the initial price, as long as you can keep them above the water!
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 12:51   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
How good are the compasses in the cheap binos? just asking...
The worst is far better than the best HBC. The main use of binoculars AFAIC.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 12:52   #12

Boat: Camano Troll

After losing a good pair into the water, I settled on a used pair of eBay. $40 or so. For some reason I have a hard time with binoculars, especially if I leave my glasses on. I've got to remember to ask my eye doctor about this the next time I go.

I sometimes have to ask my wife to look.
Old 28-02-2015, 12:55   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Compass a gimmick?

Compass binoculars are more accurate for taking bearings than a regular hand bearing compass. Extremely useful. Assuming, of course, you one knows anything about navigation, and thus, cares.
+1 - As well as navigation, they are much better than a hand held compass to take bearings on an converging vessel to ensure that you are not on a collision course.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 13:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Compass a gimmick?

I resent the implication that I know nothing about navigation and thus don't care.
Old 28-02-2015, 13:12   #15

I would be concerned with taking a pair - with compass - purchased in the northern hemisphere into the southern hemisphere. Small compasses typically have fixed ballast to compensate for dip.... ballasted under the S end of the needle for N Hemisphere and v/v see here MAGNETIC COMPASS ADJUSTMENT - MARINE COMPASS CORRECTION

I once had a HBC ( came with the boat from northern Europe ) that was unuseable down south.. even my Plastimo steering compass exhibits a lot of dip. Typically steering compasses can be purchased for the region in which they will be used. Bino compasses? dunno.....