Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2015, 07:57   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Binoculars

Eye relief is important if you wear glasses, but most binos eye cups roll back allowing the glasses to get closer to the lens.

The WM binos were last on sale for $200 about Christmas, I know as I cam close to buying them as a back-up pair

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:05   #47

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
...........However, one good thing about the WM brand is theirs have a Limited Lifetime Warranty..
Yes, but it doesn't work if the binoculars are in the river under your dock.

I thought about hiring a diver to retrieve them but it didn't seem worth it.

Seriously though, I think I'll go to WM and try out what they have. I'll wait for a sale though. And yes, although their prices are often high, their return policy is very good.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:13   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
After losing a good pair into the water, I settled on a used pair of eBay. $40 or so. For some reason I have a hard time with binoculars, especially if I leave my glasses on. I've got to remember to ask my eye doctor about this the next time I go.

I sometimes have to ask my wife to look.
At my last visit to the eye doctor, I asked her what the equivalent diopter setting would be to my eye prescription. It's been helpful so far when someone else uses your binoculars and you need to quickly get each eyepiece back to your setting.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:26   #49

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
At my last visit to the eye doctor, I asked her what the equivalent diopter setting would be to my eye prescription. It's been helpful so far when someone else uses your binoculars and you need to quickly get each eyepiece back to your setting.
I can focus with one eye, then use the adjustment on the other eye to get the same focus but when I look through them I see double. I've tried adjusting the spacing but it's still a problem.

I think I should start by trying quality binoculars and see if I have the same problem.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:53   #50

WM is great. I haven't bought a new pair in 16 years!!!! They keep replacing them if anything goes wrong. The "Limited" lifetime warranty is actually a full warranty, keep the receipt.

If you have access to a WM store where you're planning to sail, it's a no brainer.

If not, buy a better pair.

What's gone wrong on my Raiteas is they fog up inside. Maybe three or four replacements in 16 years.

For free.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:57   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You may well have what's called Binocular rivalry. It played Hell with some of us trying to learn to fly the Apache, some people's brain just won't merge the two images. You can eventually train yourself to overcome it, but if that's what you have if going to good Bino's doesn't work, maybe a spotting scope?
Just guessing here.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:10   #52
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I can focus with one eye, then use the adjustment on the other eye to get the same focus but when I look through them I see double. I've tried adjusting the spacing but it's still a problem.

I think I should start by trying quality binoculars and see if I have the same problem.
Hmmm….

I think I might have a solution for you, but it will take a bit of detail to explain it clearly, as there are several possibilities and I have a few suggestions, with some possible good news regarding vision. I will write something that may help solve your problem, or those that others experience, if they have similar problems with double vision using binocs.

Check back here a little later today before you buy something, it will take me a bit to write it up to best benefit you and others.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:17   #53
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks. While prices are usually better on the Internet, I think I need to go somewhere where I can actually try them in person.
I concur.

This is one reason, if possible, a visit to a good chandlery with a good selection (e.g. West Marine) is helpful, as it helps to handle the items and to actually look through them, gauge their physical differences such as weight in the hand (try one hand and two hand holding) and ease of use AND the different optical differences such as Eye Relief.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:47   #54

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

Maybe individual focus will help.

FWIW, I can't hardly stand center focus, anyway. Too much fiddling to compensate for various long/short distances.

-Chris
Old 01-03-2015, 11:52   #55

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Thanks everybody...I at least have the general idea of what to look for and what the priorities are. I am not in the US so I must shop online which sometimes suc^&, but that's ok. I already have an older vintage pair of Bushnells I bought at a flea market here so I wanna try to move up to something a little more suited to marine needs.
Has anyone heard of or are familiar with Visionking Binoculars? I have seen a bunch of these on eBay...
There are also a lot of Steiners but mostly older and needing some things to be perfect...
I think if all else fails...I will wait a little and go the West Marine route...I like the warranty too...
I will let you know of my find...thank you all for the great advice and the sharing.
Peace and God bless.....
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:57   #56

Boat: Catalina 30

Celestron Oceana 7x50 Porro WP CF & RC Binocular, Black

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008Y0VJ..._i428ub12ZYXE7
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008Y0VJ..._i428ub12ZYXE7

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-03-2015, 12:19   #57

Boat: Valiant 40

I've been very happy with my Nikon Oceanpros. I did in fact last summer lug them into WM and checked them against the house brand as I had heard that they were good and walked out satisfied that the Nikons were at least equivalent in light transmission, and generally superior in sharpness, but I don't recall the names of the models that I compared them too.

Had a pair of the Steiner Navigators and they were da bomb but one of my teenage daughter's friends pinched them from the house. Keep an eye out on eBay as they come up from time to time at a good price.

I find the compass absolutely indispensible, particularly when I encounter a ship at sea. Much easier to continually check the bearing than any other method in my experience.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:54   #58

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Here is a great source (even if just to compare prices)

BEST Binoculars SALE | Top Branded Binos Up to 40% Off
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 13:58   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlee View Post
Thanks everybody...I at least have the general idea of what to look for and what the priorities are. I am not in the US so I must shop online which sometimes suc^&, but that's ok. I already have an older vintage pair of Bushnells I bought at a flea market here so I wanna try to move up to something a little more suited to marine needs.
Have you looked at the Bushnell Marine binoculars, I am in the market at the moment and am seriously considering them - I've seen good reviews of them.

Bushnell Marine 7x50 Binoculars Review

Best Marine Binoculars, Marine Binoculars Reviews - Procular

Bushnell Marine Binocular, our unbiased binocular review.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 14:34   #60
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
WM is great. I haven't bought a new pair in 16 years!!!! They keep replacing them if anything goes wrong. The "Limited" lifetime warranty is actually a full warranty, keep the receipt.

If you have access to a WM store where you're planning to sail, it's a no brainer.

If not, buy a better pair.

What's gone wrong on my Raiteas is they fog up inside. Maybe three or four replacements in 16 years.

For free.
Very good points!

I look for a warranty and consider it valuable IF it is easy to use. The West Marine advantage (as I see it) is the number of their "local" stores across the USA, which makes it easier to get warranty satisfaction on their products.

Your example is a good one, and to me, that warranty coverage has value.