Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2015, 20:00   #31

Re: Binoculars

A lot of opinions, just be sure to buy a gas filled marine rated. Any thing else the humidity will get inside and fog the lens regardless of the quality of the optics.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 20:10   #32

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
This is nothing new. Like Bearing compass, they make two versions of them. One for northern and southern hemisphere.
Hand Bearing Compass | Weems & Plath

If you have a Steiner for northern hemisphere, just send it back to factory and have them change it over to southern hemisphere.
I posted that for the benefit of the OP and the world at large.

I recently posted my Fujinons from NZ to US for re-armouring... return postage was in the order of $150 US... and they were gone for about 3 months........
Old 28-02-2015, 20:19   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I did not intend to imply that at all -- my apologies. It was not supposed to be directed to you in particular. Should have used the word "one" instead of "you". Sorry.
With hindsight I overreacted, sorry for that! Thank you for the most gracious apology though.
Old 28-02-2015, 20:25   #34

Ah well, Steiner think of everything...the Commander Global comes with a fluxgate compass
STEINER-Optik | Binocular | Commander Global 7x50 with Compass | Marine Binoculars | Products

Only $2500 US... possibly outside the OP's budget...

Steiner 7x50 Commander Global Binocular with Compass 4961 B&H
Old 28-02-2015, 20:44   #35

I'm sure they are wonderful, but I can't help imagining how I'd feel if I dropped them overboard! I just baulked at a $200 sander and bought a $40 one for that reason.
Old 28-02-2015, 21:23   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
If you can only afford the $179, get them. If you can spend $299, I would get the West Marine Tahiti.
The Tahiti goes on sale for $199 periodically.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 21:34   #37
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
The Tahiti goes on sale for $199 periodically.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Gotta love those sales!

I think at $299 it is a very good value.

At $199, it is an outstanding value (Such a deal!) , for what you are getting.

The specs are comparable to much more expensive binocs from prestige or best brands.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 22:05   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Just bought some Gas filled with a compass from Barska So far very happy float and the compass has a night light plus the range finder is..... OK
All for $125
http://www.barska.com/Deep_Sea_Binoc...NAL_RAN_1.html
Old 28-02-2015, 22:25   #39

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Couple of questions....

If setup for one hemisphere and used in the other, how does this effect use?

If taking a bearing for colision avoidance, would this hemishere mismatch effect the process?

I guess I'm assume the problem is a degree of error, an error of degrees if you will.
Possibly not a concern for ship observation but a concern for dead reckoning.
Old 01-03-2015, 00:12   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Couple of questions....

If setup for one hemisphere and used in the other, how does this effect use?

If taking a bearing for colision avoidance, would this hemishere mismatch effect the process?

I guess I'm assume the problem is a degree of error, an error of degrees if you will.
Possibly not a concern for ship observation but a concern for dead reckoning.
Serious amount of dip with a small card aggravated by ballasting the wrong way... and the compass cards in binos are very small ...can lead to the card sticking.
If planning a world voyage you should try and get a card for 'equatorial'... ie no ballast... I think many companies offer N/Equatorial/S options in steering compasses... dunno about binos.
Not a prob on big ships as the card is of such a size... typically 8 or 10 inches by memory.. that they resist any attempt at dip by the needles... the also use a number of shortish needles in 'line abreast'.

My Northern hemisphere HBC puck was useless in Oz.

disclaimer....I have had no experience with compasses in binos...have never owned any.

El Ping Negro
Fujinon SMTR 7x50, Fujinon Kama-Teck M22 7x50, Nikon Action 8 x 40, Lumaros 7x50 ( 57 year old).
Old 01-03-2015, 00:17   #41

Are the WM Tahitis made for WM by Fujinon? I think one of the better WM bins were some years back.
Old 01-03-2015, 00:40   #42
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Are the WM Tahitis made for WM by Fujinon? I think one of the better WM bins were some years back.
I don't know.

My attitude about purchases like this is pretty simple:

IF one has money to spend, spend it to get what you want and what pleases you or gives you a sense of security or satisfaction that you have bought the best you can for your budget. A Rolex keeps good time and has prestige. Most people would not refuse one or would want one, if price was not an issue. It sucks when you lose one.

IF one is limited in funds, then look for the very best specs available for that budget, and IF the name on the product is not a "big name" live with the knowledge that you bought the materials and not the brand. A timex can be just as good a time keeper for someone on a budget. More people can afford one and can use them, if prestige is not an issue. It does not hurt so much to lose one.

However, one good thing about the WM brand is theirs have a Limited Lifetime Warranty. Some other brands do too, but not all.

For me, the key question is what budget one has and how they want to spend it and on what or for what purpose.

I like the Fujinon products, and Nikon, and Steiner (and Zeiss). On a boat, for me, I would use any of them IF I could have them as they are all acknowledged as high quality, but some may be out of my budget for what I really NEED rather than want.

I love looking through very fine and very expensive pair of Zeiss and really like the Canon Image Stabilized binoculars. But, they are not what I really need or must have to have to be functional. Nice, but not absolutely required to meet my needs. In some circumstances they may be a liability, just like wearing a Rolex might be in some areas of the world.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:19   #43

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlee View Post
Hi everybody...I am trying to get ready for the maiden voyage and the subject of binoculars came up. WOW!! There are sooo many out there and the prices are from, "I think they are too cheap(garbage)" to, "I could never afford those"...What should I do?

I've not been able to shop on binocs without actually looking through them first, to decide.

Features I find critical:
- 7x50 (see posts about why)
- appropriate eye relief (I wear eyeglasses)
- waterproof and fogproof
- appropriate warranty (for price)

Features I find very important:
- internal compass
- constant focus (individual eye-piece focus)

Features I find useful:
- rubber "armor"

-Chris
Old 01-03-2015, 05:32   #44

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

We have two pair. !" pair of Steiner Navigators and another pair of relatively () cheap bino (forguests to use).

Neither has a compass and I'm considering buying a pair with a compass, but having just forked out for a watermaker, new boom and resewn genua, this will have to wait

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:44   #45

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Hello.

I suspect you may have been using binoculars with relatively short Eye Relief, if you are wearing glasses and have difficulty seeing through the binocs.

You should look for a pair of binocs with greater Eye Relief. Simply put this is a measurement of the distance from the eyepiece of the binoc to the image the eye sees. If one wears glasses, one needs greater distance. If the eye relief is too short, it is very difficult for eye glass wearers yo see through binocs, but may not be difficult for people who do not wear glasses, due to the fact they get their eyeball closer to the eye cup of the binoc.

See the West Marine Tahiti model I linked above, as it has greater Eye relief than many other moderately priced binocs. It has good specs for people who wear specs. . It has 27.4 mm.

In comparison, the cheaper Fujinons have 18mm eye relief. That is significant.
Thanks. While prices are usually better on the Internet, I think I need to go somewhere where I can actually try them in person.