Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 22:45   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Better Than Button (Dodger)

Does anyone use an alternative method for securing a dodger other than buttons? Maybe Hanks and pad eyes? Twine and pad eyes? I raise and lower my dodger often and in cold weather the buttons just don't work well. Hell, even in warm weather they are a pain. Thanks, also if you have picture that would be nice too or links on the web.
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 23:17   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Better Than Button (Dodger)

Wha do you mean by dots?? The twist lock fasteners work fairly well and don't require the finger strength required with push/dot fasteners. Have seen one dodger that used hooks and a line threaded through grommets in the canvas. Looked like it would scallop in serious weather.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi
Wha do you mean by dots?? The twist lock fasteners work fairly well and don't require the finger strength required with push/dot fasteners. Have seen one dodger that used hooks and a line threaded through grommets in the canvas. Looked like it would scallop in serious weather.
I didn't mention dots. Did I? The twist lock fasteners look like a good idea. Thank you. Anyone else?
Old 09-09-2012, 07:58   #4

What y'all are calling twist lock is known as "common sense" fasteners, and the other options, as far as I know, are "Lift-The-Dot" and snaps. Snap have to be stiff in order to hold down the canvas
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27
What y'all are calling twist lock is known as "common sense" fasteners, and the other options, as far as I know, are "Lift-The-Dot" and snaps. Snap have to be stiff in order to hold down the canvas
Great clarification. I have snaps. And the other two seem preferable. I may try "lift the dot" since the "common sense" require two holes in the boat. Thank you.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:13   #6

Boat: Pearson 36

THE WAY - you should try lubricating the snaps, I have found this makes a world of difference. I use Sailkote for this. Its good stuff to have around on the boat anyway.

SailKote Marine Dry Lubricant & Coating for Sails, Rigging, Deck Hardware and more. - McLube
triton274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton274
THE WAY - you should try lubricating the snaps, I have found this makes a world of difference. I use Sailkote for this. Its good stuff to have around on the boat anyway.

SailKote Marine Dry Lubricant & Coating for Sails, Rigging, Deck Hardware and more. - McLube
Thanks for the link. The snaps are hard because the target size is smaller and covered when making the fasten attempt. The other two just seem easier. I'd rather not have to use lubricant for something like this. The snaps don't seem to stay put as well either. What I really want is a more flexible means, since the dodger doesn't stretch well at all.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:57   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 321 - 32'

I had the twist fasteners on one of my boats - loved them. I find the regular snaps and the Lift the Dot are harder to deal with. Also, I have Lift the Dot on my present boat. If the dodger is off for any reason (storms or storage) and you're on deck in bare feet, it's NOT pleasant to step on these little metal spears. Just my experience with both of those.
sloopygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloopygirl
I had the twist fasteners on one of my boats - loved them. I find the regular snaps and the Lift the Dot are harder to deal with. Also, I have Lift the Dot on my present boat. If the dodger is off for any reason (storms or storage) and you're on deck in bare feet, it's NOT pleasant to step on these little metal spears. Just my experience with both of those.
Thank you. Yeah, I thought about the LTD as being a hazard. I just put up my dodger and maybe it's not the snaps so much as it is the placement of some of them, that mixed with lack of stretch in the material. I prefer the dodger to be down on those beautiful sunny days and up when it's not. So when I put it down some of the snaps pop off, where I think the twist ones would stay.
Old 09-09-2012, 19:03   #10

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

It's not clear to me what fasteners y'all are talking about.
Everybody seems to agree on what a common sense fastener is, but to me a "snap" is either a lift the dot fastener or a pull the dot fastener. The advantage of a pull the dot is that it can only be removed by pulling from one specific angle. This can be very useful in applications where the canvas tends to pop the lift the dot fastener off due to a lifting strain by the dodger/bimini/whatever.
Any thing resembling a "spear" sticking up I would call a stud, which is used with an eyelet. As mentioned, it would be a bad usage for those to be installed on a surface where somebody might be walking (or sitting).
Old 09-09-2012, 19:08   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloopygirl View Post
...I have Lift the Dot on my present boat. If the dodger is off for any reason (storms or storage) and you're on deck in bare feet, it's NOT pleasant to step on these little metal spears.
Yes, big ouch! The lift-a-dots work well but be careful about placement. The pin side of these fittings can also foul lines and such -- I've removed a few from my boat that way.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 19:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike
It's not clear to me what fasteners y'all are talking about.
Everybody seems to agree on what a common sense fastener is, but to me a "snap" is either a lift the dot fastener or a pull the dot fastener. The advantage of a pull the dot is that it can only be removed by pulling from one specific angle. This can be very useful in applications where the canvas tends to pop the lift the dot fastener off due to a lifting strain by the dodger/bimini/whatever.
Any thing resembling a "spear" sticking up I would call a stud, which is used with an eyelet. As mentioned, it would be a bad usage for those to be installed on a surface where somebody might be walking (or sitting).
http://shop.trailersailor.com/custom.../twistlock.jpg
Old 09-09-2012, 19:49   #13

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

theway -

Your link shows a common sense aka twistlock fastener, which everybody seems to agree on, so I don't understand why you posted it?
Old 09-09-2012, 20:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
theway -

Your link shows a common sense aka twistlock fastener, which everybody seems to agree on, so I don't understand why you posted it?
I was going by your first line... Maybe I was confused... It happens a lot.
"It's not clear to me what fasteners y'all are talking about."
Old 09-09-2012, 20:24   #15

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Theres a real good fastener made for race cars, made from Stainless, looks like the twist locks you showed in your link. they can be pressed or some can be sewed on try Jegs, on line ! I find them to be better and cheaper! ya will have to get a press to install them if ya want the better ones !