Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2016, 13:12   #1

Best way to fold a dingy?

Just purchased a new to me 7.5 Baltik. Great shape, bag is a little worse for the wear. Took it out of the bag (wasn't really in right in the first place), can't figure out how to get it back in so i can store on deck. In the great white north so don't always need it inflated. When deflating, do you roll the tubes into the centre and then what?

Also, has anyone used a hockey bag with wheels as a substitute for a dingy bag?
Old 04-06-2016, 13:18   #2

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Best way to fold a dingy?

I don't often roll up my dinghy but when I do I fold the tubes toward the center so everything is just about the width of the transom, then I roll it from the transom forward. When I get to the end I use the bridle/painter to tie it up tight.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 13:52   #3

Or forget the bag... more trouble than it's worth. The only time mine ever went back in the bag was to sell it... and it took forever to get it back in there!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 20:12   #4

Boat: TBD

I folded mine from the ribs to the center then folded them in once more. I then foaled the bow to the to the centerline as well as the stern then folded it the same way again and got it back into the bag. But I still didn't get the oars, seats, and pump back into the bag too but I think that is because I don't think I got all the air out of the floor. I don't know about the hockey bag since I have never even seen one in real life used close, but I saw a dock dolly at walmart pretty cheap that I was thinking of getting for mine to be able to roll it around on. Wish you luck on your boat and getting it in the bag.

Sent from my KFOT using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-06-2016, 06:31   #5

Boat: Fourwinns V338

Best advice when folding an inflatable would be to suck all the living air out of it first...preferably with a pump. I have a fold up dinghy so I pack it back in its bag EVERYTIME I go out. After a few tries, you get the hang of it. Each boat is different when it comes to folding.
Guimaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 07:06   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I think you must deflate it first.

Now frankly, I avoid folding our dinghies. They are said to last longer if one does not. Maybe another urban legend, can't say.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 20:07   #7

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Now frankly, I avoid folding our dinghies. They are said to last longer if one does not. Maybe another urban legend, can't say.

b.
I wish I could leave mine inflated all the time. Right now I neither have the room or a way to transport it while inflated at this time. I can't see buying or building a light weight trailer for it when it will be on the sailboat eventually. Besides living in an apartment I don't have a place for the trailer.

Sent from my KFOT using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-06-2016, 20:12   #8

Boat: Fourwinns V338

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

b.
It depends how it is stored. If inflated and covered from the sun, then better. But if exposed to the elements, I think you'd be better off folding it.
Guimaras is offline   Reply With Quote