Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2008, 06:53   #1
cruiser

Best Folding Bicycles?

Does anyone have suggestions for good folding bicycles?

We previously had 2 WalMart mountain bikes with aluminum frames and rusty everything else on our 45' mono. They fit just fine and would still be serving us well if we didn't have a cat/smaller boat.

Now, we are on a cat and need something a little smaller, a little more lightweight.

What are some of good suggestions as to the right folding bicycles to get?

Here are some criteria:

*Not too pricey
*Set of at least 6 gears
*Able to ride on trails or other "imperfect" surfaces
*Normal bicycle parts/maintenance

Thanks!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 07:00   #2

Folding Bicycles and Folding Bicycle Accessories by Dahon Take a look at your Dahon dealer about the prices, it´s not the cheapest but i know they are good.

Folding Bicycles - a Buyer's Guide I just found this one...maybe it helps.
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 07:09   #3
cruiser

Thank you, Freetime.

Buying the right bicycle is difficult, economically.

I paid $100 for each WalMart mountain bike. They lasted 3 years at sea, on the deck, with no covering at all. In fact, they are still good, only they are too big/heavy for my new boat.

My worry buying an expensive bicycle is that they still use different types of metals with different galvanic properties and put these metals in contact with each other - the end result being that your expensive bicycle lasts just as long as your $100 bicycle.
Old 31-07-2008, 07:10   #4

We had a set of those small dahon folding bikes years ago, and I was never happy with them. My knees hit the handlebars, they look ridiculous, and were all around uncomfortable. IMO, the full size bikes are the only way to go, and they do make some folding ones, I just don't know the makes.
Old 31-07-2008, 07:11   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
We had a set of those small dahon folding bikes years ago, and I was never happy with them. My knees hit the handlebars, they look ridiculous, and were all around uncomfortable. IMO, the full size bikes are the only way to go, and they do make some folding ones, I just don't know the makes.
Really?? This is very helpful information. Thanks.
Old 31-07-2008, 07:53   #6

Boat: 44 footer
I took a Dahon Boardwalk for a spin, Performance bike has them on sale for $199. Its steel frame... but I am thinking about shooting the frame full of gear oil or tar epoxy.. 2008 Dahon Boardwalk Folding Bike @ Performance Bicycle

Single speed, with a coaster brake. Has a front brake. Loads of fun. You don't really lean into turns at even moderate speeds, just point the wheel where you want to go and it squirts out in that direction. All the weight is over the back wheel, so its a little weird to pedal... the saddle isn't back far enough to get your knees over the pedals. Almost feels like a unicycle with a front wheel.

(Priorities are out of line again... gotta buy a bunch of resin and glass before I can get a wee small bike. )
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 08:52   #7

Boat: Islander 36
Check out the Giant halfway model. I bought 2 pairs of them in Taiwan. One pair was was steel frame and the other aluminum. Really nice bikes. Maybe a little hard to find here.
Minggat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 09:48   #8

Boat: "Piscator"
Montague full size folding bikes ride about as well as a "real" bike, fold to about half size. I can fit two folded Montague 18 speed hybrids under the berth in the bow of my 32'er. I had a Dahon which I sold because I think the Montague folding and locking detail is much better. Folding Bicycles and Folding Bike Accessories by Montague
Old 31-07-2008, 09:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceansandmts View Post
Montague full size folding bikes...... Folding Bicycles and Folding Bike Accessories by Montague
Those are the ones that I was thinking of, but couldn't remember the brand name. Far better than the 'circus-style' folding bikes.
Old 31-07-2008, 09:59   #10

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Of course, everything on a boat must be multi-functional. You could integrate a bicycle with the steering system and have A Tiller Dahon.

-Steve (before coffee in Jarrell's Cove aboard Nomadness)
Old 31-07-2008, 10:36   #11

Boat: Phillip Rhodes 60 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Alondra
Look, everything breaks on board, and so will your bikes. My guess is to buy the most comfotable ones, pricewise and handling. And if they are gone, buy new ones. Life on a boat is sssooo easy!

have fun,

Rene
SY Alondra Alondra Sailing in India
Alondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 10:38   #12
cruiser

He he... good creative thinking, Steve. Just perused your Blog a bit and enjoyed the passages I read. Now I think I know what was so cool about your old bicycle days... the *story*. You tell a good one. I enjoyed reading your account of things I tend to take for granted. It puts them in a different light.

PS: I'd be glad to help with any Link 10 issues. Got mine working perfectly. You do have to do bit of an "advanced setup" to get them accurate.
Old 31-07-2008, 10:40   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
Look, everything breaks on board, and so will your bikes. My guess is to buy the most comfotable ones, pricewise and handling. And if they are gone, buy new ones. Life on a boat is sssooo easy!

have fun,

Rene
SY Alondra Alondra Sailing in India
That's kind of what I was thinking. I'm not aware of a stainless or all aluminum bike, so there will *always* be galvanic corrosion in the sea environment.

Based on the ideas that the folding bikes aren't so great to ride, I was actually heavily leaning toward my last solution:

$100 aluminum frame (and steel everything else) mountain bikes. For $33.33 a year, the seem to have done the trick and are a joy to ride with 24 speeds.
Old 31-07-2008, 11:34   #14

Boat: Maxim 380
We have some West Marine folding bikes, they are aluminum frame/wheels/crank/seatpost with 6 speed and are OK (they have had some of their bikes on sale lately) but not in the same price range as Wal-Mart stuff. If you look at the West Marine web site they have a good selection of small thru full sized folders which would give you a good idea of what is available. We intend to keep ours in the front hatch to reduce the weather they have to endure. The folders, because of their size, would seem to be easier to get in the tender to bring ashore. I'm just wondering how much we are actually going to use them.
Tropic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 11:39   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
A friend bought a Dahon size folding, aluminum bike from Wal-Mart several years ago. It has served him well.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote