Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2014, 14:54   #76

Re: Best dinghy under $3000

I got a few quotes around this area on a 9.9 Honda. Cheapest I found was 2850 plus taxes ( boat show prices) If someone has a cheap online site I could eliminate taxes. I wasn't even thinking 15 Hp because I thought it would weigh more.

The above porta bote site has an equivalent 9.9 Suzuki right around 2200, no taxes and delivery included.
So around 1000 was a bit overboard, (650+171) but substantial in my mind unless someone thinks that suzukis are that much lower in quality.

I surmise the 15 hp is the same relative difference in price.
Does anyone know if the electric starts have batteries on the outboard, or is that something else that needs to go in the dinghy?
Sailing fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 15:01   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

New 20 HP Honda $3360 103 lbs I think. New 20 HP Suzuki $2650 97 lbs. $710 difference, Suzuki free shipping, not free on the Honda.
Might be better prices on the Honda not sure. I think the electric start Suzuki has a 12 amp alternator, the manual start a 6 amp, but why would a manual start motor have any alternator, and how does it hook up?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 15:03   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Why would you want a bilge pump on a dinghy? I've never had a dinghy, but can't you just pull the plug when on plane and let the water run out like a normal boat?
Old 16-02-2014, 15:13   #79

I think the alternator is for the EFI. They claim it is the first manual start EFI on the market.
Old 16-02-2014, 15:16   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I would assume the EFI would be some form of magneto? If I'm right, nothing new here same thing has been powering ignition systems of decades just now it's powering the EFI and the ignition.
I assume an owners manual would answer these questions
Old 16-02-2014, 15:17   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Why would you want a bilge pump on a dinghy? I've never had a dinghy, but can't you just pull the plug when on plane and let the water run out like a normal boat?
Coming back to the boat after a rain setting bags in the bottom. It will drain when you get moving, but your stuff gets wet anyway. A little bilge would keep it dry.

I also think that it keeps the rain from swamping it in a deluge when you aren't watching.

I have also been on a boat with a slow leak caused by..... Something??? Oh yea, someone (I have NO idea who) forgot to put the self draining plug in the outside of the hull.... At night, in winter....

Nuff said
Old 16-02-2014, 15:28   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Best dinghy under $3000

I'm thinking the 6 amp alternator may actually be there to charge a small battery for running lights etc, just guessing.
I haven't seen an electric start outboard that had the battery as part of the engine, but we have speculated on this forum that one of those lightweight LIFE motorcycle batteries would easily do the trick and they weigh about a lb or two, could mount it on the outside cowling. I have one in a 450 cc Husqvarna and it starts that easily so an outboard would be even easier to start I'm sure.
If the alt. is there to charge a small battery one of those LIFE motorcycle batteries should be able to run a small bilge pump, otherwise your removing it and charging it every so often.

Tags
dinghy