Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2011, 06:01   #1
gwp

Best Adhesive for PVC??? 5200?

(continued from other thread) Got the whole bottom removed and will pick up some xylene today to finish the cleaning. Pretty sure my Bombard is PVC. I keep reading much controversy regarding 1 part vs. 2 part adhesive and those who say major repairs on a PVC inflatable is wasted time. Question.....I keep reading of some who have used 5200 successfully. Anybody know if this is viable? Anyone who has used it knows its powerful, waterproof, and flexible properties. Am I going in the wrong direction here? Ideas very much appreciated
gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 06:11   #2

Boat: Dufour 34 - Electric propulsion
Re: Best Adhesive for PVC??? 5200?

HH-66. Follow the instructions carefully.
Alberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 06:35   #3

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

Not 5200.... go find the two pot glue specifically for PVC that takes 24 hours to cure..... and apply a lot of pressure where you are glueing.
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 06:47   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A few years ago I did use 5200 when I replaced the floor in an old Hypalon Zodiac -- one that was well past its use-by date. Being the cheapskate that I am, I used some HErculite material that I had on hand for the replacement floor, and Herculite is a PVC based fabric. The method I used was to leave the old floor in place and glue a single piece of the new material over it. This isn't what a pro would have done, but it seemed the most likely way to not distort the shape of things.

The 5200 did successfully bond the two materials together, and I got several years of additional use out of the dink. But, using the 5200 was a PITA due to its very slow cure rate (took a week!). On this old dinghy it was hard to keep it inflated continuously, and as it slowly sagged the new floor would move around, getting misaligned. It also pissed off our friends who had kindly loaned us their as yet unfurnished living room in their brand new house... we'd innocently told them we'd have it done in one weekend!

So, in my not quite professional opinion, Sikaflex 291 might well be a better choice of adhesive... or some other rapid cure analog. I've used SC2000 two part glue very successfully on smaller repairs, but the difficulty of getting a large thing like a whole floor aligned correctly with an "instant stick" contact glue is a real problem for an inexperienced person. With the Sika you will have a period where you can move things around and get good alignment, but still have it set up in a reasonable time.

Good luck with your project, whatever you decide to use.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 15-06-2011, 07:25   #5

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

Not sure what the issue is but, I used Plast-aid® multi-purpose repair plastic for your repair solutions. on my leaking hot tub PVC piping and it is still working (not leaking) 4 years later.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 11:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwp View Post
(continued from other thread) Got the whole bottom removed and will pick up some xylene today to finish the cleaning. Pretty sure my Bombard is PVC. I keep reading much controversy regarding 1 part vs. 2 part adhesive and those who say major repairs on a PVC inflatable is wasted time. Question.....I keep reading of some who have used 5200 successfully. Anybody know if this is viable? Anyone who has used it knows its powerful, waterproof, and flexible properties. Am I going in the wrong direction here? Ideas very much appreciated
I have used the 2-part EXPENSIVE PVC adhesive three times, by the directions, to the letter on two dinks. All three times have failed. I refuse to give that anymore$$$. Huge ripoff. I have slatted floor separation on my PVC West marine Zodiac. I am going the 5200 route because I have nothing to loose at this point. . Our Marina service dept. Swears by it. May be a wrong move, but stay tuned.
Black Pearl 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 11:45   #7

[QUOTE=Black Pearl 87;2723016]I have used the 2-part EXPENSIVE PVC adhesive three times, by the directions, to the letter on two dinks. All three times have failed. I refuse to give that anymore$$$. Huge ripoff. I have slatted floor separation on my PVC West marine Zodiac. I am going the 5200 route because I have nothing to loose at this point. . Our Marina service dept. Swears by it. May be a wrong move, but stay tuned.
Old 17-09-2018, 12:26   #8

Boat: Hylas 49

There is a "quick dry' version of 5200. Can't vouch for it, but you might consider it.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 13:52   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Avon D560 18'

[QUOTE=Black Pearl 87;2723017]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Pearl 87 View Post
I have used the 2-part EXPENSIVE PVC adhesive three times, by the directions, to the letter on two dinks. All three times have failed. I refuse to give that anymore$$$. Huge ripoff. I have slatted floor separation on my PVC West marine Zodiac. I am going the 5200 route because I have nothing to loose at this point. . Our Marina service dept. Swears by it. May be a wrong move, but stay tuned.
The two-part adhesives cannot be used outdoors. The isocyanate reactant decomposes rapidly when exposed to moisture. Even your breath will set it off. When it decomposes, it releases a lot of CO2. This is why crappy patches look bumpy.

When they say "Max 65% humidity, max 85F" they mean it.
Old 17-09-2018, 15:55   #10

My dock neighbor laughs about outside application of the 2 part stuff. "Dont do it near water" etc. Says he's flying to Arizona to repair his dink in the desert. That should do it

Tags
adhesive