Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 13:17   #1

Awesome New Desalination Technology in the Works...

New Technology For Making Drinking Water From Sea Water - Science News - redOrbit
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 13:53   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Awesome new desalination technology in the works...

I didn't find much info in the article. "only 3.0V" to get a 25% reducation doesnt tell me anything (other than there is a lot of work still to be done). We need to know the power needed.

But maybe this will work out and progress faster than the carbon nano tube thing.
Old 09-08-2013, 14:02   #3

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: Awesome New Desalination Technology in the Works...

Hard to comprehend how a simple device can/will provide desalination. If it works, it will be as important as nuclear fusion. Until it demonstrates producing potable water in quantity, it will remain in the same state as controlled nuclear fusion today.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 14:27   #4

Not new.. they left the university and started their own company in 2010.
It is now 2013... they really do not have much more to report. If each little wafer takes out only 25% of the salt, they would have to push through 16 levels to get it to 1% salinity..... not impossible. So there is a problem scaling this, or... at lower salinity levels it is not working as well.

Regardless, they do not appear to have any more news. I would wager that carbon nanotube filters are going to be in production before this.
h20man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 14:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Hard to comprehend how a simple device can/will provide desalination. If it works, it will be as important as nuclear fusion. Until it demonstrates producing potable water in quantity, it will remain in the same state as controlled nuclear fusion today.
Remember, we can always use our local fusion reactor to make water easily...

Just buy it from your non marine store, as the price can be 2* for THE SAME PRODUCT...
Old 09-08-2013, 14:45   #6

Sorry to have shared such a disappointing bit of info with you guys. I'd never heard of this tech before and the date on the article is June 2013 so I thought it was interesting and relevant and new and worth sharing. But clearly not for the know-it-all gang here...wowzer.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 14:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
Sorry to have shared such a disappointing bit of info with you guys. I'd never heard of this tech before and the date on the article is June 2013 so I thought it was interesting and relevant and new and worth sharing. But clearly not for the know-it-all gang here...wowzer.
hey... nothing to apologize for. The power of the internet is in the crowd. Collectively we can accomplish far more then just one person....

The sad part about the internet is that some people use old data copied and with poor sourcing to give old or inaccurate news to people... (Editing to insure that you do not think this is aimed at you.. just lazy editors or journalists that do not know basics of journalism)

Please do not let this be a reason to NOT share something you found interesting.... I am always looking to learn, and the one thing I know for sure... is that I do not know everything.... I am fairly confident that I am not alone in this...