Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2010, 09:53   #1

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Avon Dinghy Sole ?

I picked up a used Avon Redcrest. Upon looking at photos of a much newer Redcrest on the Avon website, I noticed that the floor has some slats to provide rigidity. I'm not sure if they're wood, 'glass or ABS.

These are not listed anywhere on the repair parts website. Any idea as to how I could score a set, or perhaps reproduce them? It seems to me that tossing in a sheet of plywood would be Very Bad Idea.
Old 15-02-2010, 10:43   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi,
I'm pretty sure you'll find the slats now used are simply plywood, but not sure your idea of 'tossing in a sheet of plywood' is such a bad idea either.
You cannot easily add slats - as the job of welding the sleeves to hold the slts on the flexible floor is not a home job.
But a sheet of ply, finished to keep it waterproof with non skid one side, and most importantly cushioned around the edges to prevent any wear of the floor and side chambers, might give you what you want.
Good idea. Good luck.
JOHN
Old 15-02-2010, 10:46   #3

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleHeadMd View Post
I picked up a used Avon Redcrest. Upon looking at photos of a much newer Redcrest on the Avon website, I noticed that the floor has some slats to provide rigidity. I'm not sure if they're wood, 'glass or ABS.

These are not listed anywhere on the repair parts website. Any idea as to how I could score a set, or perhaps reproduce them? It seems to me that tossing in a sheet of plywood would be Very Bad Idea.
Not so bad.

Here is a picture of my dingy, a 1977 (yes, that is right, 1977) Avon Redcrest.

This is a sheet of 1/2" plywood covered in fiberglass resin. It works like a champ. I have a 'pool noodle' under the center so there is a bit of a keel. It tows and rows better, like this.

There is also an oval shaped cut out just forward of the stern. It makes it much easier to bail.

The solid floor makes this into a much better little dingy. My main complaint is that the tubes are not larger forward like other dingys, so it captures much more of the spray.

Read about cruising with this dingy here.

s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 05:15   #4

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Faith, that is damned brilliant. Especially the pool noodle. Many thanks.
Old 18-02-2010, 06:24   #5

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
Bubblehead,
Also have an elderly Redcrest (1981) and made a plywood floor very similar to the one made by Faith except I made mine in two parts so it is easier to stow as I keep my dinghy deflated except when I use it. His looks a lot better than mine as I used white paint (never thought of using fiberglass resin). I used the rubber gasket they use to stop air leaks on refrigerator doors (available at Home Depot) to put around the playwood to prevent chafe. Love the idea of using a pool noodle for a keel -- another thing I never thought of. Will have to try that this spring, if I ever find my boat under all this snow (sigh)

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 17:26   #6

Boat: F-9AX
Hi guys, I would love to find where to get a spare A4 plug for my old red crest. Thanks in advance. Fritz
Freddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 10:50   #7

Re: Avon Dinghy Sole ?

I just gave up on my old Redcrest because the A-4 valves would no longer hold air, and new ones cost too much and are a pain to replace. I have the original floorboards as well as the yellow rear seat (repaired) and some plugs for the valves, as well as the original stuff bag. The floorboards came in four sections, and are plywood. The rear three sections are held together by some bolts and nutplates connecting to a 2x2 hardwood spine. The front section broke or fell apart years ago and I fashioned a new one out of plywood. The floorboards have holes for lashing down the inflatable thwart. I also have the motor mount. Does anybody want them?

Egon Frech
egonfrech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 12:50   #8

Boat: Tartan 34C

Hey you Redcrest owners! Is there a HIN or Serial Number anywhere on a Redcrest? The State of NC wants it to issue a registration tag, and I can't find one. Lil help?

Thanks,

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 12:57   #9

It should be somewhere in an open-faced glued on "pocket". It's an aluminum plate with the info stamped into the metal. Look on the post by "Faith" above. See the thing on the hull above the center of the motor mount? Mine was the same thing, but to the right of the motor mount.
egonfrech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 15:56   #10

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by egonfrech View Post
See the thing on the hull above the center of the motor mount?
On mine, it's a patch of brown glue where the rubber and aluminum tag USED to be, I suppose. Thanks anyway.

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 17:15   #11

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleHeadMd View Post
It seems to me that tossing in a sheet of plywood would be Very Bad Idea.
I have an Avon Rover with a factory plywood floor. I chose plywood because I thought it would be more rugged than aluminum or high pressure inflatable floors, and I still wanted to be able to roll it up and put it in my attic in winter. The plywood floor is nice and firm to stand on and it works reasonably well with a small 3.5 hp outboard or oars. The floor comes in 3 sections, joined with extruded aluminum rails to give it rigidity.

If you decide to try to make a plywood floor, you should carefully cut it to match the shape of your redcrest's bottom, round off the edges with 80 grid plywood, and seal it with epoxy or deck enamel.
Old 21-12-2011, 01:25   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
On mine, it's a patch of brown glue where the rubber and aluminum tag USED to be, I suppose. Thanks anyway.

John
Doesn't sound like it simply fell off

I would buy a permanent marker - and write some numbers on
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 03:45   #13

Boat: Shuttleworth 31

My otherwise indestructible Redstart needs a new floor, the slats that slide into the plastic sleeve have broken (I jumped in from a height for no reason other than fun - I am a fool...). I thought I'd be able to pick some new ones up easily enough, found some on an official supplier website and spat my coffee out when I saw the price - £170!

If anyone happens to be wandering past their (or a) Avon Redstart with a tape measure and was able to measure the dimensions of the slats in the original slatted floor... well I'd regard you as a hero and a god amongst men.
elhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:39   #14

Boat: Shuttleworth 31

Please..?
elhix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avon