Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2015, 13:01   #121

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Anyone with the new Suzuki DF15A or DF20A Outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus747 View Post
bought the 15 yesterday. It sure does not have the stature of a 15 as it looks likes a 6 horse on the back of my boat. My dealer was really clueless when it came to the motor. Any suggestions as to break in or servicing etc?
You didn't get an owner's manual with it? There is a section on break-in procedure in it.

Break in is 10hrs as follows:
1. 15 minutes in gear at idling speed
2. 1.75hrs in gear at <1/2 throttle
3. 1hr in gear at 3/4 throttle
4. 7hrs at any speed, but no more than 5 minutes at any time in full throttle.
5. First oil and gear lube change at 20hrs.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 05:07   #122

Boat: PT-11

I am still in the break in period of mine, but I must say it seems to buzz a little more than my old Yamaha 15. It also has a little squeal as the revs increase. I hope it smooths out. Certainly a lot torquier.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 05:31   #123

Is the squeal on increasing revs when it is in gear? If so, this is prop tip noise and normal. It does this on ours from idle to ~1/8-1/4 throttle, then disappears on up. It also does it on both our friends Enduro 15's, and I have heard the same from several other outboards. It never happened on our old Honda.

If it has the squeal out of gear, then that doesn't sound right.

Don't know about the buzz - I'm having a hard time picturing what that means. Maybe something is loose on the mountings or vibrating in the dinghy? Is it at all speeds?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 23-04-2015, 05:43   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think he's coming from a 2 stroke to a four stroke, maybe.
If so 4 strokes do have a completely different feel / sound to them. I still bang the rev limiter on my 20 and think I'm not turning the motor that fast, I have a lot of 2 stroke experience to un-learn. Four stroke of course has half the firing impulses per RPM as a two stroke and this gives a very different "feel" to the motor.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 09:52   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You didn't get an owner's manual with it? There is a section on break-in procedure in it.

Break in is 10hrs as follows:
1. 15 minutes in gear at idling speed
2. 1.75hrs in gear at <1/2 throttle
3. 1hr in gear at 3/4 throttle
4. 7hrs at any speed, but no more than 5 minutes at any time in full throttle.
5. First oil and gear lube change at 20hrs.

Mark
nope got it, but just looking for any other input that may help. Looking fwd to seeing what it can do. Had it narrowed down to this or the Honda but the weight savings and intrigue with the efi sold me on this. once it stops snowing I will give it a go!
Cyrus747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 10:20   #126

The only thing I would add to the break in instructions is to be sure to vary the throttle settings regularly in steps 3 and 4.

Mark

Old 24-04-2015, 08:32   #127

ok thanks. did anyone install he additional screws on the back of their transom that came with the motor? I know everyone has something different here but just wondering if it is really necessary to hard mount the motor or just rely on the adjustable flat screws like any other motor?
Old 24-04-2015, 08:37   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
ok thanks. did anyone install he additional screws on the back of their transom that came with the motor? I know everyone has something different here but just wondering if it is really necessary to hard mount the motor or just rely on the adjustable flat screws like any other motor?
I haven't but probably should, I did almost lose the motor once when I did a hard turn / skid, I guess the clamps got a little loose and I didn't notice, but I figure the bolts would be a pain to remove constantly when I pull the motor too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 11:02   #129

Our outboard never leaves the dinghy, so I installed through bolts for two reasons:
1. I have seen countless outboards take a dunk because they have jumped off the transom board.
2. It makes it that much more difficult for a thief to remove the outboard.

If you need to remove the outboard regularly, the bolts would be a pain.

Mark

Old 24-04-2015, 11:44   #130

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Our outboard never leaves the dinghy, so I installed through bolts for two reasons:
1. I have seen countless outboards take a dunk because they have jumped off the transom board.
2. It makes it that much more difficult for a thief to remove the outboard.

If you need to remove the outboard regularly, the bolts would be a pain.

Mark

I would bolt if I were full time again but we only go for 3-4 weeks. It still might be a good idea as Mark is correct, they do jump off sometimes...
In my case the lugs were tight, I was just being stupid with only two people in the boat and perhaps one more kalik than necessary. With the 20 I can get 5 adults on a plane or throw 2 in the water along with the motor. Even took a small piece of transom with it. Did find out while I was doing the flush that Suzuki does a great job on waterproofing their electronics and electrical connections. No problems, has been running for a year since the bath.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 13:01   #131

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

I installed thru bolts. We run the boat up on a trailer for storage in our off-season, so don't have to remove the motor.

-Chris
Old 24-04-2015, 16:20   #132

Boat: PT-11

Yes, I am transitioning from a 2 stroke Yamaha to the Suzuki. To me it seems to transmit more vibration into the boat than the 15 did. My wife even commented on it. I expected it to be smoother than the Yamaha.

And Mark, I do think the squeal only happens on the initial increase in revs with the motor in gear. I will confirm but it is good to think it is not an issue. Any squeal from an engine is usually not a good thing in my book.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 16:42   #133

Well I took it for a test drive today. Started on the second pull only because my first pull was not strong enough...little stiff I guess.I followed the break in as per the manual. Idled nice, went to a half throttle after about 20 or so min and it seemed to chug a bit. Didn't smell any fuel but it seemed like the motor didn't know what to do. I took it out of gear and it did the same in neutral. It just seemed to hate half throttle?? I varied my speed for a couple more hours and then gave it some zip to plane my boat out for a couple seconds...impressive! Not sure what is going on at half throttle, thunderstorms and hail moved in so I had to get off the water. Hour 3 calls for about 3/4 throttle, hoping it runs smoother...not sure what the deal is??

Question, how far should the exhaust hole be above water? or does it need to be under? My trim may need a bit of adjustment as it seemed to be leaning in too much. Motor seems to sit lower than my Honda...but maybe its just me?? I will need a trolling plate or sock for trolling. too fast!
Old 24-04-2015, 18:26   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Yes, I am transitioning from a 2 stroke Yamaha to the Suzuki. To me it seems to transmit more vibration into the boat than the 15 did. My wife even commented on it. I expected it to be smoother than the Yamaha.

And Mark, I do think the squeal only happens on the initial increase in revs with the motor in gear. I will confirm but it is good to think it is not an issue. Any squeal from an engine is usually not a good thing in my book.
The Suzuki is "rougher" in idle than our Honda was. It seems to have more low frequency vibration. This may be due to the computerized fuel injection going lean when idling. Underway, it seems about the same as our Honda, but quieter. OTOH, our Honda was quite old when we got rid of it, so the noise probably reflects that.

The squeal isn't from the engine - it is the prop. I have been underwater during this and it is even louder there. If it was from the engine, I don't think I could hear it underwater. I think it is initial cavitation until it gets a bite.

Mark

Old 24-04-2015, 18:38   #135

Quote:
Well I took it for a test drive today. Started on the second pull only because my first pull was not strong enough...little stiff I guess.I followed the break in as per the manual. Idled nice, went to a half throttle after about 20 or so min and it seemed to chug a bit. Didn't smell any fuel but it seemed like the motor didn't know what to do. I took it out of gear and it did the same in neutral. It just seemed to hate half throttle?? I varied my speed for a couple more hours and then gave it some zip to plane my boat out for a couple seconds...impressive! Not sure what is going on at half throttle, thunderstorms and hail moved in so I had to get off the water. Hour 3 calls for about 3/4 throttle, hoping it runs smoother...not sure what the deal is??

Question, how far should the exhaust hole be above water? or does it need to be under? My trim may need a bit of adjustment as it seemed to be leaning in too much. Motor seems to sit lower than my Honda...but maybe its just me?? I will need a trolling plate or sock for trolling. too fast!
Out of gear, the engine will not smoothly throttle up past just above idle. When you do open the throttle up out of gear, it chugs and spits. This is because outboards are not supposed to be revved out of gear. On most, there is a lockout on the throttle that prevents it from opening more than just a little bit when out of gear. On the Suzuki, there is no lockout and the computer simply manages that for you - and that is why it is refusing to throttle up and complaining. This is normal.

Don't know what the issue is when in gear. Perhaps the dinghy is at full displacement mode and the engine is chugging trying to bring it up on plane? Are you on plane at half throttle?

The exhaust exits through the prop hub, so it should not be out of the water at all. There is a "pee hole" at the bottom of the casing, that is only an indicator of cooling water flow. Its only purpose is to alert you that there is something wrong with the cooling system if you don't see your engine "peeing" (of course, the most common problem with "no pee" is a small piece of sand or stuff caught in the "pee hole" - and not a real cooling problem).

This "pee hole" should be above water, because if it is not, your engine is below water. How far above is not important as long as your engine is not swamping.

Trim should be 90* when on plane. Off plane, it will be trimmed inward.

How fast are you moving in gear at idle? I don't know what a trolling sock is, but our dinghy moves pretty slow at idle speed. Certainly much less than we typically troll on our sailboat (5-8kts).

Mark

Tags
outboard