Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 08:44   #16

Boat: Catana 50
Re: Anyone with the new Suzuki DF15A or DF20A outboard?

Hi Mark

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I need to order a new outboard for April delivery to the Med. I'm also ordering a new RIB, an AB 11AL. I'm all but there with a 20hp Suzuki, just need to give my card details which is always the toughest part!

The question of truth is, if you were buying again tomorrow, would you still buy a Suzuki 20efi? Thanks for your help.

Rob
AliaVita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:16   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Absolutely. We are extremely happy with it. We have not yet reached the 20hr break in service interval, although we have been using it every day for months now. It didn't occur to me how long 20hrs really is on a dinghy used to go 1/4 mile to shore a few times each day!

The design is fantastic - there are no mild steel parts or bolts or fastenings anywhere on it. These have always been bugaboos on past engines, when things would go bad and require lots of time and swear words because some critical small screw or roll pin was made of mild steel and rusted solid in place.

This engine will plane your AB11AL with two people in it at 15kts using 1/4 throttle. At full throttle with one person in our 350lb dinghy, it is scary. Needless to say that gas consumption has been great since we run at 1/3-1/2 throttle most of the time.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:27   #18

Thanks for that Mark, much appreciated. The recommended HP for a 3.5m AB RIB is 15hp with a 20hp max, it does make me wonder if we need a 20, but as the only downside is fuel consumption, and I can't find any figures for that, the extra 33% of hp is a nice safety margin!
Old 03-01-2014, 16:43   #19

I had the fuel consumption figures for the two somewhere but can't find them. Basically, up to about 12hp, they are identical. After that, they go fairly linearly, with the last 400rpm or so going non-linear on the 20hp.

In other words, probably a 1/4 gph difference between the two at planing speed in a loaded dinghy.

I'd go with the 20hp. The cost difference is ~$150 now, but if you get the 15hp and decide you want the 20hp later, it will cost $750 to change the control unit.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 03-01-2014, 17:17   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It's real common for the newer four strokes to change HP with tuning. For example the entire Mercury Verado engine line is actually only two engines, 150 -200 hp is the four cyl, 225-300 hp is the six with the difference being the computer.
Go with the 20 HP engine, buy the 15 HP stickers if you feel the need to not exceed HP ratings for some reason or another.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 17:51   #21

In this particular case, these engines are fuel injected with the only difference between the two being the computer module that controls the fuel injection timing and volume and the rpm range. Every other part is shared between the two. Actually, the computer module itself is the same - it just has one program for the 20hp and another for the 15hp.

This is probably the same for the engines you list too.

Mark

Old 03-01-2014, 17:58   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It is, and the computers cost thousands, but people are getting salvaged computers and hopping up their engines now that they have been out for awhile. My experience with four strokes is that they are way more fuel efficient than two strokes at low throttle settings, but at or near full throttle they burn just as much fuel as a two stroke.
Fuel burn wise a bigger motor running at part throttle will burn less fuel than a smaller motor running at higher throttle settings but making the same power. I'll bet in this case that at 10 hp, the fuel burn for these two motors is identical, after all mechanically they are identical.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 15:36   #23
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

That's good news about the Suzuki. Thanks for taking the time to report on it. I have a Suzuki 90 on our skiff, and despite my general preference for two strokes, I have to admit this four stroke is nice. I spent today trying to get an old Merc to run, seriously wondering if it's time to just get a new one.

Not such a simple decision here, where two strokes are still the market leader.
Old 18-02-2014, 13:09   #24

Question for colemj

We are getting an AB 9VL dinghy rated at 15 HP. I was originally thinking a 9.9 would be good, but as I read more, it seems more HP is better.

So, in thinking a 9.9, now I will focus on a 15HP. But since they weight the same and really are the same, why not 20HP?

is that overkill on a 10' dinghy?

If it were just for me I would go with the 20HP Suzuki since I can control myself on the throttle and it only costs a little more.
I am not so sure about the kids or THE KIDS FRIENDS!!!

Do you guys think the 20HP is crazy fast or, is it self regulating for a 14 year old?

as an aside, electric start enables a battery which can be used for a small bilge pump.... good idea or bad idea? it adds weight on the motor and with a battery, but dry feet might be nice?

15 or 20 HP manual start 97 lbs
15 or 20 HP Suzuki electric start 106 lbs

thoughts are appreciated
Sailing fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 14:34   #25

There is no engine made, or size small enough, to keep a 14yr old boy out of trouble. Even if you only supplied him with a single paddle and no engine, he will get into trouble. Even if you didn't allow him to use the dinghy at all, he will get into trouble. Compound any of this with friends and trouble goes up geometrically with the number of friends involved.

That's just what 14yr old boys do. It's what 40yr old boys do also, but you didn't ask advice about yourself…

The 20hp will be crazy fast on that dinghy, but I would get it anyway. It isn't going to be any more out of control than a 15hp and the cost is only $200 more. Besides, teenage kids need regular survivable near-death experiences or they start to think they are even more indestructible than usual.

The 9.9hp will work for propulsion, but if you have kids and gear, you will appreciate a larger motor than that. I even bet there will be times when you will have the 20hp at full throttle and thanking yourself for buying all 20 of those ponies.

Our biggest criteria for an outboard was that it must have a charging circuit to keep a small battery charged for operating a bilge pump. A dinghy bilge pump is the greatest thing you can add to a dinghy - always dry, never have to pump, never swamps. You can get a small Li motorcycle battery that weighs a pound or two and is the size of a handheld radio.

The manual start Suzuki comes standard with a charging circuit. Other makes do also, but you should check that out to be sure. Of course, if you are going to have a battery, why not electric start? That becomes addictive almost immediately - and earns itself if you ever need to do any troubleshooting where you need to crank the engine while making a measurement or checking something (spark at plug, etc).

Mark

Old 18-02-2014, 14:37   #26

I have now ordered an AB 10 AlL with a Suzuki 20hp. As you say, 15 and 20 hp same size and wright, AL10 obviously heavier that a 9UL though. I don't get it until April so can't comment further, but that was the choice I made. Why not have an extra 5hp up your sleeve, but then again I won't be having kids driving it!

Rob
Old 18-02-2014, 15:12   #27

Thanks!
I am getting a quote for both electric and manual start. Hopefully the price will convince me either way. What is your setup for the battery and bilge so there aren't wires, pumps and connections flopping around when you hit a wave?

Boys will be boys....true true. That is what we are supposed to do. I can trust mine by themselves, but out of town additions to the mix seem to take things to a whole new level.
Sailing fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 15:29   #28

I found a good price here with free (and fast) shipping: Suzuki Outboard Motors - New Suzuki Marine Outboards

boats.net also have good prices, although they do not seem to advertise their prices anymore, so they may have changed.

We have a small Walmart garden tractor battery in a small plastic battery box that is held down with a strap and screwed in holders. We have a double floor, so screwing in the holders was no biggie. On yours, you will need to glue on a pad to screw into. If you get one of those small Li motorcycle batteries, you can just velcro it into place.

The bilge pump and solid state switch are simply glued into place in the sump with 5200. All wires are run through plastic wire loom and pushed out of the way under the tubes.

Mark

Old 02-03-2014, 08:17   #29

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Say, Mark, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger; DF15A on my short list of two...

I haven't been able to find much specific info on the Suzuki website about shifter placement, tilt and trim positions, placement of various "stuff" underneath the cowling, service regime, and so forth...

I'm surprised it looks like they want significant money for their owners manuals, whereas I like to use info like that during my selection process... they don't even have the DF15A/DF20A manuals listed here http://www.genuinesuzukimanuals.com/ anyway... and I like to have softcopy on my computers and tablets, too, when it comes to actually dealing with the things...

Were you able to find better info than the DF15A/DF20A brochure here Suzuki Marine - Product Brochures ??

Or were you given access to softcopy manuals after purchase?

Or...?

-Chris
Old 02-03-2014, 11:12   #30

Hi Chris,

I also had problems finding info on them, but assumed it was because they had just come on the market. I too, like having electronic copies of manuals, but have not found any for the Suzuki.

It comes with the owner's manual when you buy it, and I bought the service manual for it. The service manual is very complete. You can download the parts catalog from here: http://vodnik.1000size.ru/uploads/fi...15A%20_20A.pdf I know it is a .ru site, but I haven't had any problems with it. The parts catalog was very helpful because it has all the schematics for the engine in it.

The shifter is a big lever conveniently placed right in front of the engine. The tilt has 4 or 5 positions (I forget how many) and is activated/deactivated by pulling/pushing a metal lever in the front of the engine. This is so much more convenient than our Honda, which required us to reach around and under the engine and rotate a handle in an odd way. They are now selling a model of that engine with electric tilt, if that is of interest to you.

The stuff under the cowling is tight. It was the same in our Honda. It is easy to get to the spark plugs, injectors and filters, which is all that is really serviceable since there is no carburetor. The service regimen and times are typical for a 4-stroke - there is a 20hr break in interval after which the oil, filter and gear oil need to be changed and the lube points checked, then it is just oil changes every 100hrs and filter every 200hrs. Lube points, plugs, waterpump, etc inspected. The nice thing is that it has an indicator light that comes on at the first 20hr point and then every 100hrs, so it tells you when service intervals are up.

I would get the 20hp if I was you (ignore that sticker on your dink).

Mark

Tags
outboard