Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2017, 18:20   #16

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'
Re: Antifouling on a Dinghy?

Oh boy.. this is what I want to do every night after work. Haul the dinghy with the halyard. Cleaning every month or so isn't bad. I'd never paint the bottom with antifouling. It's just not practical. To the OP, just keep cleaning it monthly. Take your wife, pack a lunch, some beer, and make a Sunday out of it on the beach. That's what we do.

NOTE: the forum is not allowing quotes to appear on my posts. This will make my posts appear silly. Sorry
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 18:30   #17

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I've been using Pettit Hydrocoat on my RIB dinghy for at least 12 years with similar results to what you described with Aquaguard.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 04:56   #18

Boat: PDQ 44i

We find it efficient to hoist the dinghy out of the water every night. Not only does it prevent fouling, but it also prevents theft.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 06:55   #19

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
I dunno, maybe a person lives on the hook travels and their dinghy is the same to them as your car is to you. Should one take a daily user, hook it up to the halyard and pull it out of the water every night?

This was a response to the poster that wanted to know why the dinghy was in the water so much.
We're full time cruisers and live on the hook. While I don't mind hauling up the dinghy - it is a pain, especially if you come back to the boat late and it is dark.

Also - while we do have davits, they are not really suitable for hauling the dinghy while traversing between islands - there's a lot of bouncing and I'm not sure how sturdy the fixation to the boat is. Ti make matters worse - we can get the dinghy up on the foredeck, but it fills so much that getting forward (drop anchor f.eks) become difficult.

So antifouling that works and doesn't smear all over would be a big plus

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 16:58   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Antifouling on a Dinghy?

Once you get your davits reinforced, you can then ratchet strap your dinghy tight to the boat so it doesn't swing, I have rode out some serious weather with mine done that way.
Our dinghy is not real light, so I cheat and use the sheet winches with an additional block to guide the lines and the Milwaukee drill pulls it right up no sweat.
I think island hopping that you may not want to tow you'll find it nice to just be able to put it in the davits and go.
Sort of a round about answer.
I have heard thievery is a reason to not leave it in the water
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 05:05   #21

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Once you get your davits reinforced, you can then ratchet strap your dinghy tight to the boat so it doesn't swing, I have rode out some serious weather with mine done that way.
Our dinghy is not real light, so I cheat and use the sheet winches with an additional block to guide the lines and the Milwaukee drill pulls it right up no sweat.
I think island hopping that you may not want to tow you'll find it nice to just be able to put it in the davits and go.
Sort of a round about answer.
I have heard thievery is a reason to not leave it in the water
yeah everyone talks about theft, but we lock ours with a 8mm stainless chain that goes through the engine, gas tank and dinghy and then on board Capri. Not to say someone can't steal it, but it would require a big set of bot cutters (noise etc). And the old addage really is true. You don't have to make things theftproof - you just have to make them harder to steal than hour neighbors...............

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 17-04-2017, 05:30   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have yet to figure out the lock the dinghy thing, primarily at the dock I think.
I think I will buy a 6 HP sticker to replace the 20 HP one on the motor, that may help?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 07:24   #23

We've towed our 11 foot Whaler to the Bahamas, and all over them, twice now. Disaster did not ensue.
Old 18-04-2017, 14:47   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
I have yet to figure out the lock the dinghy thing, primarily at the dock I think.
I think I will buy a 6 HP sticker to replace the 20 HP one on the motor, that may help?
Aw, come on, the 20 horse is waaay bigger than a 6!

What we have done that worked (through a 6 week or so absence from the boat) --although perhaps not a high theft area-- was to leave it disinflated on deck, and chained to the mast. The engine is kept separate, secured on its mount on the pushpit.

Ann
Old 18-04-2017, 14:54   #25

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You have a 38 foot boat and a dinghy big enough to have a 20 HP engine? Wow! What do you do with the boat when it is not in the water?
Or is the dinghy big enough that you hoist the sailboat aboard the dinghy?

Old 21-04-2017, 11:04   #26

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
That and take the removable cover off if it has one, and put in sole of dingy.
My outboard was camouflaged by previous owner, and glue drips and faded bow skirt, oddball fenders, very unattractive but lipstick doesn't make her float.
On a caution, scraping with sharp metal scrapers is not advisable on a soft surface inflatable, hard bottoms maybe.
Pressure washer works nice. If no barnacles, spray nozzle on hose if pressure is sufficient.
Any ablative is usually ablative. And others claiming not to be are also messy.
Good luck with your dilemma.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 13:03   #27

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Resurecting this one.

We have had our alloy dinghy mostly in the water for over a year now. Probably spent 5 nights on davits in that time.

Every couple of months I lift one side with the davits until it is on its chine/side for easy access to hull from the duck board.
There are small barnacles and some slime, easily removed with a broom and a scrape.

Spray on lanolin is what we use. Let dinghy dry, spray on lanolin, wipe around with cloth,let it dry, drop back in and do the other side.

Outboard is always down and remains clean with lanolin as well.
We have a DIY aluminium permatrim style foil on the 30 and on the topside of the foil I through bolted one half of a rudder anode.
No signs of any corrosion or fouling anywhere.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 13:41   #28

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Spray on lanolin is what we use. Let dinghy dry, spray on lanolin, wipe around with cloth,let it dry, drop back in and do the other side.

Outboard is always down and remains clean with lanolin as well.
We have a DIY aluminium permatrim style foil on the 30 and on the topside of the foil I through bolted one half of a rudder anode.
No signs of any corrosion or fouling anywhere.
Does the lanolin ever leave a sheen on the water like oils or fuel does?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 13:44   #29

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Nope.
Dries hard
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 17:24   #30

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Nope.
Dries hard
Good to know, thanks.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy