Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 14:47   #1

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Air tubes on Walker Bay 10?

I have a Walker Bay 10 dink which I carry on davits. I love the way it rows, but it's a very tippy dink and with my style of transom I continually chip gelcote off the mothership when trying to board at the sugar scoop in a choppy anchorage. I'm thinking of getting the optional air tubes for it. Can anyone comment on how they are fitted and does it make the Walker Bay 10 as good as a rib?
Old 06-04-2013, 16:04   #2

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
Re: Air tubes on Walker Bay 10?

We installed our air tubes 7 years ago first it made it very stable and it never damaged our boat, not to mention how safe we felt in a very confused anchorage, as well able to stand up in it and not feel as if we could tip the boat and fall out. We are considering in replacing the old one with a new one as it has been beaten by the weather and seas over the years.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 16:29   #3

are the added air tubes really big enough to add stability? The would have to be in the water to do that....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 16:56   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch

We have a Walker Bay 10 with the air tubes. They make it very stable, increase the capacity, and make great fenders. We carry it in davits. It is pretty heavy but is a pick up truck of a dingy.
kbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 17:45   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Absolutely, the tubes add stability. Tubes are not in the water all the time, but very close to the water so minimal movement before they make contact. I used to have a RID 310 (basically a fancy walker bay with tubes). Very stable, I could stand on the gunnels. Rowed well, sailing kit, but not a planing hull design so slow under power and limited HP rating (7 as I recall).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 19:26   #6

I put the tubes on my 8 a few days ago. Definitely an improvement in stability. I was able to haul myself out of the water up into the dinghy: try doing that in a walker bay without the tubes. The thing I like most about the tubes is that when, not if, they fail you still have a plenty viable walker bay dinghy ready to go.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 20:34   #7

Boat: islandpacket
I would keep the tubes out of the sun. In half a season mine were all orange peel looking. Never lost air but really looked bad.
Old 06-04-2013, 20:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
I would keep the tubes out of the sun. In half a season mine were all orange peel looking. Never lost air but really looked bad.
Good to hear that, I was wondering how long I had to get some covers sorted out.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:54   #9

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

got the 10 here as well. came with the tubes, and we added the sailing rig later. it's almost as stable as a rib - also have a caribe 9' and love em both. the caribe, though, weighs, like, a million pounds. the WB I can haul aboard by myself (it's a struggle, but doable). No way with the RIB. I have yet to sink one of the WB tubes fully while sailing - it's a great learn-to-sail machine for kids. very safe. not an impressive performer, especially if you overload it, but with 2 people and 6-12 kts of wind it's a hoot.

don't think you'll ever get the WB to plane with an OB though. Just for fun I dropped a 9.9 on the back (nearly sank it) and opened her up... no plane at all... just plowing water. The bottom went kinda funky shaped and I was definitely pushing the structure beyond intended loads.

the WB is a wonderfully capacious, relatively dry and very safe utility dinghy. add the tubes and sailing rig and if you can still afford to take time off from work (they ain't cheap) then you'll have a very nice little dinghy/cruising machine. a 4 hp ob drives it along very nicely even when fully loaded.

cheers-
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 21:46   #10

We just bought a used WB 10 with tubes and the high performance sail kit. Took it out for a sail on the lake and had a blast, very stable with the tubes and the sail was great. Just started sailing and hoping to teach the kids.
Tphipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 19:54   #11

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built

I'm thinking of buying a new WB 310 RID with tubes/sailing kit and powering it with a Torqeedo 1003 = to 3-4HP which I think will power it just fine. Current owners agree?
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote