Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2015, 17:24   #1
Marine Service Provider

Affixing rego numbers to inflatable

Hi everyone,

I have a new PVC dinghy and need to attach rego numbers the 150mm high type, so fairly large.

On my previous dinghy I used vinyl lettering and it was fine. I regularly deflate it and they still stuck well. The only problem is that sign-writer is no longer in business so I've procured some new vinyl numbers but they aren't sticking as well.

One of the sign writers said that they could do it for me with vinyl paint, but it would be $200.

Does anyone have a good solution for this? The other issue is that the inflatable is black...

ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 18:32   #2

Boat: Selene 47
Re: Affixing rego numbers to inflatable

Try boatnumberplate dot com

That's who I used for mine.
CrustyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 18:54   #3
Marine Service Provider

I looked them up however unfortunately they aren't suitable for boats that are deflated and or rolled up.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 23:21   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Aus, in the past we have used a stencil and sprayed the lettering with vinyl based spray can paint in a contrasting colour. Looked pretty good, lasted a long time even with rolling it up, and cost little to do.

We got our stencil cut at a place that did shipping of big crates, but I think that any signwriter with a computer cutting machine can make them. Shouldn't cost much at all.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 08-09-2015, 08:06   #5

We also had a signmaker cut us a stencil - and just used spray paint. The stencil has adhesive on one side, so you can adhere it, very tightly, to the tube, mask off the rest of the dinghy, and spray.

If I recall correctly, we used a Krylon spray paint (walmart) - on the signmaker's recommendation, it was made specifically for painting on plastic. He said it had more flexibility in it and wouldn't be as likely to peel off when deflated and rolled up.

Two years later, our lettering is "mostly" still there. Some of the really thin parts of the letters/numbers have disappeared, but it has held up surprisingly well.
bratzcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:43   #6

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
I looked them up however unfortunately they aren't suitable for boats that are deflated and or rolled up.
I have the same need and got that impression also when I went to the website based upon this thread. [Thanks!]

The vendor causes that confusion with their poorly designed and maintained website... What I gleaned from their FAQs is they don't recommend their self-adhesive version for boats inflated/deflated often (nor extreme hot/cold environments...)

In those cases, they recommend gluing the number plate on like a patch using the proper patching glue for your inflatable material. Unfortunately the links to the instructions for doing so are broken...

Here is their page showing how their numbers survive inflation/deflation if glued on with proper adhesive.

I'm convinced this will work for me, and I hope this clarity will help you make a decision for your needs.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 08-09-2015, 08:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a new PVC dinghy and need to attach rego numbers the 150mm high type, so fairly large.

On my previous dinghy I used vinyl lettering and it was fine. I regularly deflate it and they still stuck well. The only problem is that sign-writer is no longer in business so I've procured some new vinyl numbers but they aren't sticking as well.

One of the sign writers said that they could do it for me with vinyl paint, but it would be $200.

Does anyone have a good solution for this? The other issue is that the inflatable is black...

There are basically three ways to do this:
1) get a stencil and paint the numbers
2) get the expensive special PVC two part glue
3) adhere the numbers to a plaque and then attach the plaque to the dinghy with line

I hope this helps.
svinvictus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:55   #8

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

As bratcpa said try the Krylon Fusion spray paint. It's formulated for plastics including PVC. The stuff is incredible.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:36   #9

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

"adhere the numbers to a plaque and then attach the plaque to the dinghy with line"

I don't know what the rules are in Oz, but most states in the USA want the numbers permanently attached to the dinghy. Whether or not it is strictly enforced in those states is another matter.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
..... but most states in the USA want the numbers permanently attached to the dinghy. Whether or not it is strictly enforced in those states is another matter.

John
John, you're right, although i have mine on sideboards, and those are the same states that require you to carry your dinghy registration papers with you at all times.

Geez, just what I want to deal with when I'm going swimming and gunkholing with my dinghy.

Will stupidity never end with these draconian ideas???
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:40   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

What Jim and the others said.

I think you will find the right white vinyl spray paint sold in chandleries for recoating life-rings and other marine goods, or else in an auto supply store as "bumper" paint, which has a plasticizer in it for the same reasons. Might have to compromise on the color to chase that down though.

A stencil is actually simple, even if you are not Martha Stewart. Proper self-adhesive stencil paper/film from any arts and crafts supply chain, or just use inkjet or laser to print the lettering you want, then cut it out with a sharp blade. Spray the back with spray adhesive or rubber cement to make it stick tight while you are painting, it will pull right off again.

$10-15 for all the supplies, and you can test it on a scrap piece of anything before you do it to the inflatable, if you're unsure of it. No biggie. $200 to a sign guy is simply way overpriced, even at US East Coast Big City rates.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:48   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd be tempted to use a white Sharpie, they work pretty good and would be very easy to touch up.
Wouldn't look as nice as paint though I'm sure. I did my Hypalon dinghy with flat black cheap spray paint with a stencil and it has worked very well, better than I thought it might, course mine is light grey.

Black PVC? I've never seen that, interesting
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:25   #13

West Marine here in US sells a paint with a brush in the top for painting letter & numbers on inflatabel dinks. I used a ball point pen to do the lay out, then two coats of the brushed on paint. Lasts 4 or 5 seasons.

Dave
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:14   #14

I just did this last week. Get a stencil kit for five dollars (not West Marine, please), tape the numbers /letters on the boat and fill in with a (white, in your case) sharpie. Cheap, quick and painless.
Funyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 13:31   #15

Boat: 1985 Hershine 48' YachtFish
Send a message via AIM to Splash of Lime
Re: Bought Used Inflatable Dingy

Hi, i bought a 8.6' inflatable from a used boat parts store and got a receipt. But it does not have a title and no numbers. I just put on one side the letters TENDER. I would only use it to get back and forth to town for supplies, is that ok. I mean is there anything else I need to do for C.G. or ? I do have a 8hp motor I could put on it but for now, just oars. Now I also sold them a 9' inflatable with lots of holes in it but I did not give them them the title which I still have. Maybe I could use that just in case it is ever needed? I also believe that when using a dingy you need life preservers for each person aboard, I guess at least one flair. Anything else?

Also I have 2-200 gal diesel tanks and is there an additive I should use once a year. What about Starbrite Star Tron Fuel Tank Cleaner- 64 oz. How often would you say i should use it, if I use that, thanks.

I also bought a case of the large Raycore diesel fuel filters and the container and 12v pump to make a diesel fuel polisher, cleaner etc. The filters are 30 micron. I was going to make it a permanent system on this boat but decided I will sell this vessel and buy just a bit larger vessel. So i will juts make it a temporary polisher.

This is a 41' CHB and I need 48' to ? I want to live more on the vessel and do more cruising. At 75 I am running out of healthy time. thanks.
Captain Chuck
Splash of Lime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inflatable