Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2012, 18:25   #16

Boat: CS 40
Re: 5 hp 2 stroke running rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrranch View Post
On ANY small 2 stroke with these symptoms its almost always exhaust related. If they can't get exhaust out then they can't make power and act like they are over rich. Hopefully you haven't done anything else yet so check the entire exhaust passage for obstructions. Physically. Not just by seeing bubbles or seeing the smoke. I'd take it apart and look. I fix this all the time on other 2 strokes like chain saws with dirt dobber nests or other crap in th emuffler. EXACT same symptoms. I just fixed it on an old outboard like yours too. The exhaust was so sooted up it was plugged.
I took apart the lower end and was able to inspect the exhaust passage from the cylinder to the prop. Definitely dirty but no obstruction to speak of. I'm guessing this wouldn't be causing the motor to run rich. Back to a carb re-build?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pc210228.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	51580   Click image for larger version

Name:	pc210229.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	51581  

Click image for larger version

Name:	pc210230.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	51582  
mikefossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 18:26   #17

Boat: CS 40

I overhauled the carb with a kit and replaced the main jet. Wow. The engine runs like new. Actually I wouldn't know that but it certainly runs better then is has ever before. Now it gets the dinghy (Achilles 8.5 ft) on a plane in seconds with two up and I can back off the throttle and keep planing. Woo Hoo!
mikefossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 22:13   #18

Had similar problems with my merc 5hp (same motor). Scouring the web hard to find answers. Here is what I found after banging my head against the wall for the next "googlers".

The problem is rarely exhaust blockage. It may happen but I've never seen it although mentioned all the time with obs and chainsaws. That would be an outsider.

The 4/5hp model requires a rubber plug covering the idle jet. Many times a hack rebuild leaves this off thinking it doesnT belong there. It doesn't look like it should be there.

A worn bowl gasket will cause fuel to be sucked directly into the block. Massive flooding. Common problem and this was probably your fix. Ripped diaphram will also cause this.

Test your float valve and gasket by lightly blowing air into fuel pump inlet. Rightside up a little air, carb upside down no air.

Also, check recycle hose and valve (yes, theres a little check valve in the line). One way to cylinder only with no leaks.

If it runs even poorly with fuel all over, its probably NOT ignition related, although many posts have you running around checking it.

Good Luck
Kraski55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:51   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kraski.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 14:04   #20

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

With that Yamaha 5hp I bet it's got a steel tank ? That's the problem. I changed my steel tank to a plastic one and have had no further problems

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 stroke