Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2019, 11:00   #1

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
3M VHB for mounting bicolor to hypalon tube

We are going to mount a bicolor light to our hypalon dinghy and I came across this mount by Navisafe. It uses 3M VHB adhesive to secure the mount to the tube. Has anyone used this?

Amazon has four reviews - two loved it and two hated it.

Cheers!

Steve

https://www.amazon.com/NAVISAFE-Navi...g-water-sports
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:47   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: 3M VHB for mounting bicolor to hypalon tube

Steve-
3M has their toll-free number on every product. One call will actually get you connected to a VHB product engineer, and they'll know if "hypalon" and such are a problem or not. VHB usually is put on rigid surfaces, but it certainly remains flexible so that probably isn't a problem--but Hypalon(R) isn't made anymore, and the specific material and any plasticizers or cleaners that were used on it (ArmorAll, etc.) might affect the adhesion.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Steve-
3M has their toll-free number on every product. One call will actually get you connected to a VHB product engineer, and they'll know if "hypalon" and such are a problem or not. VHB usually is put on rigid surfaces, but it certainly remains flexible so that probably isn't a problem--but Hypalon(R) isn't made anymore, and the specific material and any plasticizers or cleaners that were used on it (ArmorAll, etc.) might affect the adhesion.
Thanks. This is a brand new Highfield dinghy, and although I understand Dupont no longer makes hypalon, the Highfield folks say that's what the dinghy tubes are made of. Regardless, since the dinghy is new, I would clean it according to the 3M instructions before applying the adhesive. The manufacturer of the mount (Navisafe) does specifically state that the VHB adhesive will bond to hypalon.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any real world experience of the longevity of the bond on hypalon and in a marine environment. Or have they watched their bow light fall off and into the water because the bond failed?

Cheers!

Steve
Old 04-04-2019, 07:48   #4

I have that mount on My Dinghy. it has only been about two months but so far no problems
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:13   #5

Boat: J/42

I bought three accessories (from “Railblaza”) that came with VHB pads. Just: NO. Throw them away and use two-part adhesive. They peel right off after a few hot days. I went above and beyond on the installation instructions too. I didn’t try to just “peel and stick.” Then “clamped” them down for two days with 100 lbs of Olympic plates over the deflated tube. Part of the problem is that these accessories are relatively large and flat, so the round tubes constantly exert “pulling away” forces at the edges. You need something that makes a real chemical bond to resist that.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:43   #6

Boat: 2004 Catalina 470

I mounted the same Navisafe light mount on our 2018 Hyfield CL 360 (hypalon tube construction), and can tell you it’s not going anywhere. I cleaned the hypalon surface with rubbing alcohol and then applied 3M Primer 94. The Prime 94 woks like magic. You can order the primer 94 in one time use ampules. I use the primer whenever I’m mounting anything with a peel off liner adhesive. Let the primer dry to a light haze before attaching whatever you are mounting. Any primer that you get where you didn’t intend can easily be wiped off with rubbing alcohol.

Also, it’s best to mount the Navisafe mount when the weather is warmer. It was still cool when I mounted mine so I used a heat gun to slightly warm the hypalon and mount before attaching. Just enough heat to take the cool off of both surfaces.

I have no doubt that my mount is stuck good.
tmtownsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:23   #7

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Steve77, I also mounted the same Navisafe light on my Walker Bay hypalon dinghy. I followed the mounting instructions and used what came with the light. After 2 years it is holding well.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:32   #8

I use the same tape to hold 50 lb solar panels on my hardtop 5 years now and not any issue at all
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:41   #9

Thanks, all.

I understand that Toddster didn't have any luck with these pads, but the rest of you thought it worked fine. I think I'll give it a shot and see how it works.

I may rig a safety line to the bicolor so that if the bond fails, at least I won't lose the light. Then I'll try the two-part adhesive route.

Appreciate the input!

Steve
Old 05-04-2019, 02:27   #10

Boat: Valiant 42

Attaching the tape to a deflated tube seems like a bad idea. When inflated the tube surface stretches and that will put lateral force on the adhesive. That's it's weakest direction. It would seem a better idea to put the VHB tape on a fully inflated tube.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Attaching the tape to a deflated tube seems like a bad idea. When inflated the tube surface stretches and that will put lateral force on the adhesive. That's it's weakest direction. It would seem a better idea to put the VHB tape on a fully inflated tube.
Good suggestion - thanks!